lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-05-2020, 12:12 AM   #21
agpfl
Wild Gone

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Lithium Leaf pack install?

I finally got around to completing the modification to one of these packs. Pretty easy and straight forward. Just add bus bars as well as 4 gauge battery cables to positive and negative terminals. Connect the battery cables directly to the cart.

I ordered extra bus bars to be placed under their balancing board. I cut a couple bus bars as spacers for the middle terminals to fill in the gap between the battery and balancing board. Just be careful no sharp edges are sticking up that will penetrate the balancing board. I was not so careful and fried a balancing board and BMS when I created a short.

I sandwiched a positive and a negative orange 4 gauge battery cable between the battery and balancing board.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
agpfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-05-2020, 07:47 AM   #22
cmysstailights
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by agpfl View Post
I finally got around to completing the modification to one of these packs. Pretty easy and straight forward. Just add bus bars as well as 4 gauge battery cables to positive and negative terminals. Connect the battery cables directly to the cart.

I ordered extra bus bars to be placed under their balancing board. I cut a couple bus bars as spacers for the middle terminals to fill in the gap between the battery and balancing board. Just be careful no sharp edges are sticking up that will penetrate the balancing board. I was not so careful and fried a balancing board and BMS when I created a short.

I sandwiched a positive and a negative orange 4 gauge battery cable between the battery and balancing board.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
Board worked out good it looks like.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
cmysstailights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 06:55 PM   #23
EZGO Leadfoot
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Beautiful! I was working on my Tech Direct pack for the last two days along these lines, but you beat me to it! On the center screws, I'm looking into thick 1/4" copper washers to balance out the board, and I went with 2 gauge cables to the terminals. My bus bars should arrive from Tech Direct soon, at which point I'll test out my cart. The unmodified pack would stop when climbing steep hills or flooring it, and then reset after a minute or so. You give me hope that mine will work as well! Will post pics when done.
EZGO Leadfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 07:42 AM   #24
EZGO Leadfoot
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I asked Tech Direct what they thought of this approach, and they replied "What they have done is to by pass the BMS and that is dangerous as you do not have control over the discharge and over current. You can add your own BMS at 130 amps and that is Max draw recommended by Nissan."

Would be curious what the more knowledgeable people on this forum think. I'm assuming this setup still balances the cells, and as far as discharge rates, can protect against that with a fuse.
Old 01-15-2020, 10:26 AM   #25
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Tech Direct is incorrect or the answer was based on wrong information they received.

The biggest issue is that PC board and it should not be used at all.

It looks like the BMS wires are long enough to reach all cells if You just cut the connector off the end and crimp 1/4" (cell taps) and #8 stud (balancing taps) ring connectors to the wires.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 02:47 PM   #26
EZGO Leadfoot
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks, I sent Tech Direct a link to this thread, so he had good information. Maybe trying to justify use of a cheap and easy BMS? I also didn't understand his 130 max amp draw comment.
Old 01-15-2020, 03:03 PM   #27
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

The BMS is fine for balancing but using FETs to switch and control the current is not a good idea (heat dissipation) or needed on a Golf Cart application.

The PC board copper traces are a weak point and the BMS internal current path is a weak point.

You can still use the BMS but only control external relays to disable the cart and charger in case of cell LV and HV condition.

Once I have a chance I will post a thread on my setup I put together over Christmas using a cheap BMS similar to what they use.

I also got my batteries and enclosure from TechDirect, but not their BMS.

Edit:
I see their point, the original post by agpfl does not say anything about installing LV and HV relays when you wire the pack directly to the cart by-passing the BMS high current Control.

That is indeed dangerous and should not be done.

Last edited by Sergio; 01-15-2020 at 03:40 PM.. Reason: More thoughts
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 09:41 PM   #28
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
Once I have a chance I will post a thread on my setup I put together over Christmas using a cheap BMS similar to what they use.
Bout time Sergio! Looking forward to it.
NCPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 09:42 AM   #29
EZGO Leadfoot
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Yes, thank you, I'm very much looking forward to seeing Sergio's set up as well!
Old 04-08-2020, 03:36 PM   #30
Majer123
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosscoB View Post
That makes sense. Really all that needs to be done is for the small to be connected to a power source.
I am having the same issue. Did you connect the charger interlock wire to the Tech Direct pack? I did the bypass and connected it to the old batteries and i still got nothing. reading 50v at the coil and controller but when i drop the pedal i get nothing. Also I have a 2002 EZGO TXT 36v and I am trying to use 48v tech direct battery. Any help is much appreciated!
Majer123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO