lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC!
Extreme DC! Extreme Electric Golf Carts!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-20-2018, 05:06 AM   #11
Wygantmb
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Yamaha Drive lithium ion conversion

The Management system is a BMS24T. It can communicate with the chargers from Chargery but not mine. It works fine as a standalone unit. As far as monitoring the cells. The system can be configured to balance all the time or while charging or discharging. I leave mine on all the time. A few hours after charging the cells are normally within .005v of each other. The BMS itself also has the option of being powered from the main battery pack or an outside source. I power mine from the onboard 12v battery. It does require a step up transformer. As it needs a minimum of 15v to run. In my pictures I am going to attempt to attach the one shows the connections. It’s hard to see and they really should have the next size down splice connectors. But they are holding. Each positive connection has a wire going to it and there is a negative connection every 8 cells with this system. In the other picture it shows the individual cells. The red cells indicate the two cells that have the furthest voltage spreed. These are constantly changing. Hope this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A0F1D3F7-C65C-45A0-9507-DB12942F8C2D.jpg (150.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg BA9DADD1-3D16-488F-BC8E-0DC9D7ED2ACB.jpg (142.9 KB, 0 views)
Wygantmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-20-2018, 09:17 AM   #12
PingEye3
Gone Wild

Club Car

Wygantmb - That's some nice work there. I have done three of the G29 lithium conversions but none of them on a stretch. All of mine were upgraded to Alltrax XCT400's two remain on the stock motor with no issues a year later.
PingEye3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 01:56 PM   #13
Wygantmb
Not Yet Wild

Pingeye3 I’m running he same XCT400. I made some minor tune adjustments for the higher voltage and dumbed the regen down a little. This cart was fast before but with the weight savings from the battery and the lack of battery lag as I called it it gets right up and moves. I’m very happy with the results. I think my next mod is going to be adding some juice brakes to the front end just to ensure a little better stopping power. Then maybe a new motor down the road. I need to do more research first.
Old 03-21-2018, 12:28 AM   #14
siwaniuk
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Thanks for this post. Im in the process of upgrading my 88 ds and with me working in china I was able to make contact with the fellow at chargery.com and will be able to grab that system with the charger while in china.
siwaniuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 07:57 AM   #15
Wygantmb
Not Yet Wild

Two more photos. The batter box is definitely a lot less cluttered then before. I need to finish clean up some of the wires under the front seat. Fron left to right you see the relay for the 58v charger. The switch to turn it on and off is only 12v@30amp so I used a solid state relay to send the 58v back to the battery. Next to it is the 58v charger from EV Battery Center. Slightly behind that is the 12v charger. On the right side is a Boss motorcycle blue tooth radio. And on the floor is an old school Bazooka Powered sub woofer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 69BD4FBC-0B81-4BE4-9225-E94E38BFF2CC.jpg (184.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 1031F808-7B93-4044-A875-0B02270C7ACE.jpg (140.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-22-2018, 09:25 AM   #16
PingEye3
Gone Wild

Club Car

Wygantmb:
The charger looks like it is mounted to the bottom of the front seat, per your description. My only suggestion is to keep an eye on the heat generated by the charger. Where this is mounted has little air circulation and it is mounted in the hottest place in the seat compartment without air circulation. These chargers can get pretty hot, even with air circulation. Mine is the same type but a 17A charger. When first installed, mine would melt the fuse (not blow it on over current) I had to put a 4" computer type fan on my battery box to circulate air to keep from melting the cheap Chinese fuses. I replaced them with American made. Yours looks like it is the 11A version from EV so it may not get as hot as mine does. But, I would get a thermal temperature gun from Amazon, very handy. Also, it is easy to do motor temp checks after a strong run in the cart and for temp checks on all power connections after that run as well.

Nice job on the whole installation.

https://www.amazon.com/Etekcity-Lase...rmometer&psc=1
PingEye3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 10:31 AM   #17
Ptobias
Not Yet Wild

Does the Chargery system turn off the power to the battery charger once the cells are charged and balanced?

is the comm wires as simple as cutting the ends off (of the telephone connectors) and manually connecting to the charger shunt circuit?

thanks for the additional info - Phil
Ptobias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 01:06 PM   #18
Wygantmb
Not Yet Wild

Pingeye thanks for the heads up on the heat. I have a Laser thermometer I’ll use to watch it. I haven’t had to change to run the battery down very far and the few times I did have it hooked up I only brought it up about 2 volts. The charger is the 17a version and it is upside down bolted to the seat. I have a few of the 4” fans you talk about from an old project that was never finished. I wonder if I can get a proper sized heat sink to put on the case. That might help a little.

Ptobais. The BMS has the option to switch a relay on and off for charging once a pre determined voltage has been reached. The only issue I have with that is the manual says if the BMS reads 10 amps or greater on the charge side it will switch the charger off and this can’t be changed. My charger is a 17amp peak. Although it doesn’t charge that high regularly. I don’t want a relay cycling on and off when it does get that high. As for the wires the BMS came with all the wires needed. The only one with a telephone style plug RJ4 plug was the communication wire from the BMS brain to the display. Everything else has correct sized plastic plugs on the. It alls goes together very well.
Old 03-22-2018, 01:29 PM   #19
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Wygantmb, I just looked at the manual below and it says the "charger overcurrent" is adjustable from 0 to 600 amps".
http://www.chargery.com/doc/Chargery...tion_V1.14.pdf
Without that relay installed there is no way the BMS can stop the charger in case a single cell malfunctions or goes over voltage during charge.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 03:42 PM   #20
Wygantmb
Not Yet Wild

Sergio. You are correct. I miss read page 22 and read it as above 10 amp it would close the relay not allowing it the charge. Instead it is talking about wearing out the relay faster if it’s a higher amps. Time to snag another relay.

Tags
lipo
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC!