lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-31-2018, 10:21 PM   #1
Shieldzee
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Default G2 VC625 install

And so it starts, trying to pull the rear swing arm with the motor and wiring in tact. I think all thats left is the shocks and swing arm bolts and it's out. Looking forward to some garage time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg removal 1.jpg (201.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg removal 2.jpg (340.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 625.jpg (157.9 KB, 0 views)
Shieldzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-31-2018, 11:33 PM   #2
Rooster59
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: G2 VC625 install

You're gonna love it.
Rooster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 04:40 PM   #3
Shieldzee
Getting Wild

Yamaha

So... I got some garage time today and got the swing arm removed complete with the motor. Got the engine removed, pressure washed the the swing arm and rear, some sanding and painted. Used "Chassis Saver" from NAPA. love this stuff, kind of like POR15 but much cheaper. Used a black spray bomb on the aluminum trans axle. Before I removed the driven clutch I wanted to do a gear check. I have 22" tires, made a mark on the driven clutch and one on the tire, one tire grounded, turned the other one full rotation and counted roughly 6.25 rotations on the driven clutch. What are you guys thinking for gears? Thing was always fast on level ground but no guts on the hills (hence the 625).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg unpainted.jpg (110.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg painted.jpg (100.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-12-2018, 03:29 AM   #4
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

It will have lots of guts now. G2/G9 are 13:1 so you would have been very close if you turned both tires. My stock 420 takes off way harder than stock engine ever could, the 625 is more powerful yet and sure it could pull HS gears easily if you wanted. The 420 goes about 30mph on 22s, same as stock would with no governor but clone gets there way faster. Might see 27 with a governor or something like that. My modded clone hit 38 and now I put a cam in it but not tested speed. But I never ride that fast anyway.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 04:53 AM   #5
David Maner
Morel Man

Club Car

I sure like the looks of that new engine.
I guarantee you will be happy with this engine
David Maner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 07:55 PM   #6
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shieldzee View Post
So... I got some garage time today and got the swing arm removed complete with the motor. Got the engine removed, pressure washed the the swing arm and rear, some sanding and painted. Used "Chassis Saver" from NAPA. love this stuff, kind of like POR15 but much cheaper. Used a black spray bomb on the aluminum trans axle. Before I removed the driven clutch I wanted to do a gear check. I have 22" tires, made a mark on the driven clutch and one on the tire, one tire grounded, turned the other one full rotation and counted roughly 6.25 rotations on the driven clutch. What are you guys thinking for gears? Thing was always fast on level ground but no guts on the hills (hence the 625).
You need both wheels on the ground to figure out the gear ratio. You have the swing arm out -- you have the engine out. Put a mark on the inside of the tire so you can see it -- put a mark on your secondary clutch -- hold the swing arm by the mount bolts and pull it along one complete revolution of the wheel -- count how many times the mark on the clutch rolls over. This will give you the proper ratio.
Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 08:33 PM   #7
Shieldzee
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepard View Post
You need both wheels on the ground to figure out the gear ratio. You have the swing arm out -- you have the engine out. Put a mark on the inside of the tire so you can see it -- put a mark on your secondary clutch -- hold the swing arm by the mount bolts and pull it along one complete revolution of the wheel -- count how many times the mark on the clutch rolls over. This will give you the proper ratio.
Worked out great Shepard, 13:1, was really hoping to be one of those lucky ones that had 8:1 in it.
Old 02-15-2018, 07:05 PM   #8
Shieldzee
Getting Wild

Yamaha

I got some more work done tonight. I have the drop shackles all cut and test fit, just need to do some clean up and some welding. 2" back 4" down. everything came together very well. hopefully welding and painting this weekend. I also need to replace the angle iron that runs along the side on both sides. The rust looks worse than it really is, very solid.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180215_180116.jpg (927.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20180215_180145.jpg (918.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20180215_180202.jpg (784.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-15-2018, 07:35 PM   #9
BrutalSoldier
Addictive Personality

Club Car

looks good
BrutalSoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 07:59 PM   #10
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shieldzee View Post
Worked out great Shepard, 13:1, was really hoping to be one of those lucky ones that had 8:1 in it.
If you had lucked out and had 8-1 gearing, it would be something a past owner installed. I've been holding off buying a gear set because of price but each time I look the price keeps getting higher. No one makes 6-1 sets [not sure if they ever did] so G2's are a little limited. Larger tires or a higher revving engine.
Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!