lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-28-2012, 07:49 AM   #1
Lawn Dart
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default 12 Volt back to 8 volt 99 Club Car DS

I am on the fence here. I got my cart and it had dead battery's. So money allowed only getting blemished batterys from a interstate dealer down the road from me. I never got to see how well it performed with 8 volt nor have i rode a turned up 48v cart before. So is it worth it going back to 8 volt when i can get 12 volt battery's in new condition for 35 dollars a piece? The only down fall is climbing hills it will slow down to 5 mph. On flat ground it will go 12-15mph. But on a down hill drive it will hit speeds of 28mph. Would it be that much of a difference in climbing hills with different batterys? And then i would need to get a extra 12v battery for my lights and radio.. Anyone been in the same boat and got new 8 volt batterys?
Lawn Dart is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-28-2012, 08:35 AM   #2
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Default Re: 12 Volt back to 8 volt 99 Club Car DS

i much prefer 8 volt over 12 volt but we all have our opinions.............this all depends on how you use it ........you,ll get more run time out of the 8 volts but as far as hills go i,m not sure what difference you,ll see..............and lastly at least from my eperience i have seen more than 1 set of 8 volt well maintained batteries go for over 10 years with one set making 14 years and one set 13 years................i don,t know that you could ever exspect to get anywhere near 10 years out of 12 volts.................but you have to do whats best for you and what you can afford but if its just a matter of trying to save a few bucks the batteries are the very last place for that...........................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:35 AM   #3
Dingleberry
Getting Wild

Club Car

Question Re: 12 Volt back to 8 volt 99 Club Car DS

Lawn Dart, I'm a newbie at this so no offense intended, but $35 for 12v cart batteries? I must ask, you aren't buying car batteries are you?

I have the 12v system with 4 year old batteries and I'm pulling about 50-51v after a charge and I go up some pretty steep hills with no problems.
Dingleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:38 AM   #4
camaroluvz28
Gone Wild

Yamaha

thats funny dingleberry i was about to ask if he is sure the batteries he is referring to are deep cycle or car batteries...that would def explain the lack of power in an incline...
camaroluvz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:47 AM   #5
Lawn Dart
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingleberry View Post
Lawn Dart, I'm a newbie at this so no offense intended, but $35 for 12v cart batteries? I must ask, you aren't buying car batteries are you?

I have the 12v system with 4 year old batteries and I'm pulling about 50-51v after a charge and I go up some pretty steep hills with no problems.
Yeah these are 12v semi batteries actually. They are not deep cycle and i know cart batteries are deep cycle. But i didn't know if there was much difference from the cart deep cycle batteries to the deep cycle marine batteries. I can get any battery deep cycle, car battery, semi batteries all for 25-35 dollars a piece and they are all factory interstate blemish batteries. I guess i should have stated in my original post.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:54 AM   #6
camaroluvz28
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Deep cycle batteries use solid plates rather than sponge plates. They are designed to discharge up to 80% of their stored energy before recharging. Starter and marine batteries would fail quickly if they are exposed to this level of discharge consistently.

Electric golf carts are extremely dependent on deep cycle batteries. Golf cart owners pay very close attention to the life expectancy ratings on deep cycle batteries. A five year rating is dependent on more factors than just the passage of time. Those 5 years are based on how how much of the batteries energy will be used before recharging. The next most important thing to consider is the number of cycles, how many times it can be recharged. A typical golf cart battery is rated for 5 years based on a 50% discharge for 550 cycles.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:00 AM   #7
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

there is a difference between deep cycle marine batteries and golfcart batteries......theres a real difference..................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 11:04 AM   #8
Lawn Dart
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowman View Post
i much prefer 8 volt over 12 volt but we all have our opinions.............this all depends on how you use it ........you,ll get more run time out of the 8 volts but as far as hills go i,m not sure what difference you,ll see..............and lastly at least from my eperience i have seen more than 1 set of 8 volt well maintained batteries go for over 10 years with one set making 14 years and one set 13 years................i don,t know that you could ever exspect to get anywhere near 10 years out of 12 volts.................but you have to do whats best for you and what you can afford but if its just a matter of trying to save a few bucks the batteries are the very last place for that...........................
well i didn't know people got that much life out of them. I have a set of 8 volt trojans on the floor in the garage right now. I hooked a meter up to them yesterday and they was all around 3 volts. I wonder if i should bother hooking them all back up and trying to charge them. When we first got the cart one of them was showing nothing and the charger wouldn't kick on. Can i use the desulfate feature with a standard battery charger to bring these back to life?
Old 06-28-2012, 11:13 AM   #9
camaroluvz28
Gone Wild

Yamaha

shadowman very correct: Generally, a marine deep cycle and a true deep cycle battery are the same. However, there are differences that do make one type of battery better suited for certain applications and environments than others. The primary differences between the battery types are 1) exposure to environmental conditions and 2) size of the battery's plates.

Corrosion Resistant. Marine batteries have been designed to withstand the harsher environments often associated with a marine environment that often speed the corrosion process including:

exposure to water
exposure to salt
Battery Plates. Another difference between these battery types are the sizes of the plates. A marine battery has a thinner plate for higher cranking amps--or in other words--the thinner plate is better for the rigors of starting a battery. Deep cycle batteries have a thicker plate for slower discharge.

Lawn Dart look at the negative post on your Trojans and tell us what says...should say something like C8 or A1...and did the batteries have water or were they ever charged dry as far as you know?
Old 06-28-2012, 11:23 AM   #10
Lawn Dart
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroluvz28 View Post
shadowman very correct: Generally, a marine deep cycle and a true deep cycle battery are the same. However, there are differences that do make one type of battery better suited for certain applications and environments than others. The primary differences between the battery types are 1) exposure to environmental conditions and 2) size of the battery's plates.

Corrosion Resistant. Marine batteries have been designed to withstand the harsher environments often associated with a marine environment that often speed the corrosion process including:

exposure to water
exposure to salt
Battery Plates. Another difference between these battery types are the sizes of the plates. A marine battery has a thinner plate for higher cranking amps--or in other words--the thinner plate is better for the rigors of starting a battery. Deep cycle batteries have a thicker plate for slower discharge.

Lawn Dart look at the negative post on your Trojans and tell us what says...should say something like C8 or A1...and did the batteries have water or were they ever charged dry as far as you know?
I am at work for a few more hours and i will head home and check them. I don't know what the previous condition was. I bought the cart off some older guy on Craigslist. He said the batteries was bad. But like i said when we first got the cart we had one showing no voltage so my brother put some 12v semi-batteries in it and it was rolling and charging. But now i revisited those batteries considering buying one new one for the time being just to put the 8 volt setup back in it and all had about an equal charge.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car