lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-10-2013, 10:16 PM   #1
Dadog70
Getting Wild

Club Car

Question Question about Run/Tow switch.

I own 2007 Precedent and had some questions about the run/tow switch?.

When the cart is not in use should the switch be switched to tow?

When charging the cart should the switch be put in tow?

I was wondering why club car didn't wire the run/tow switch into the key switch? would this not make it easier when working on the cart? so anytime the key was turned off the cart would always be in the tow mode

I guess the switch was put under the seat for a reason? I just think it's a pain where it's located, heck they could have put a rocker switch in the dash seems to be plenty of space (my thoughts)
Dadog70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-10-2013, 10:44 PM   #2
7CLUB
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Question about Run/Tow switch.

Dadog,
The Run/Tow switch should always be in the Tow postition when charging. It basically opens the circuit to send current to the solenoid.

You could always relocate it if you don't like lifting the seat. That's what this site is all about!
7CLUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:41 AM   #3
rib33024

it's not required to put your cart in tow to charge it, the only time you really have to put your cart in tow is to disconnect the batteries, or work on any of the electrics, or if your going to tow it with out it running on it's own power, if you tow it with out putting it in tow, you could fry your controller and motor, or if you unhook a electric cable and there is a spark, it could fry the controller,
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:17 AM   #4
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7CLUB View Post
Dadog,
The Run/Tow switch should always be in the Tow postition when charging. It basically opens the circuit to send current to the solenoid.

You could always relocate it if you don't like lifting the seat. That's what this site is all about!
I have never heard of flipping it to tow each time you charge...
I think you just have to do it when you work on the batteries or any electonics, or (obviously) towing the cart.
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:56 AM   #5
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

. . . wonder if TOW position would save controller if a power surge hit while cart is unattended and plugged into charger . . .
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:39 PM   #6
Dadog70
Getting Wild

Club Car

Steve I agree with what you are saying about power surges so I thank I will put in tow when charging better safe than sorry.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:49 AM   #7
tlr6334
Gone Wild
Club Car

I advise everyone at our golf course to put a surge suppressor at the ac power outlet and plug their charger into it. Years ago we had a power surge at our golf course and every cart without one had major $$$ issues. Mine and the other two hooked up to a surge suppressor were OK. Even if you flip the run-tow switch your obc and charger are still suspect to a power surge. And guys remember anything electronic can be damaged by power surges. So be safe and spend a few bucks. Will save you large bucks in the long run.
tlr6334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:58 AM   #8
greg-g
Gone Wild

you all are aware that the controller goes to sleep when you plug the charger in!! The same as flipping the run tow switch !!!
greg-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:59 PM   #9
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg-g View Post
you all are aware that the controller goes to sleep when you plug the charger in!! The same as flipping the run tow switch !!!
So if a power surge was to hit the charger while it was charging everything would be ok?

I have actually plugged my charger into a standard office surge protector in my garage.
I wonder if that would stop controller problems?
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:44 PM   #10
Dadog70
Getting Wild

Club Car

I believe to be safe with the cost of parts and charger I will use a surge protector.
Better safe than sorry.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car