lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-12-2020, 08:49 AM   #1
webn237
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default 4x4 swap? Electric 4x4 for the front

Does anyone have a detailed description on how to make a 4x4 work for a cart? It will be going into a ezgo workhorse with a diesel engine eventually.
Im trying to avoid swapping over to an atv chassis.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
webn237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-12-2020, 09:21 AM   #2
S-N-R Customs
Gone Wild

Default Re: 4x4 swap? Electric 4x4 for the front

I知 going to be converting an identical electric rear end to a steer axle with knuckles for my sons mini Jeep. But to have an electric front axle with a diesel (or gas) rear drive train would be an engineering nightmare. You would have to have a controller that that was calibrated to match whatever motor your running in the front (combined with gears and tire size) with the speed of your rear engine. Or the cart would try to tear itself in half or the front would always be too slow and cause binding while driving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
S-N-R Customs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 10:35 AM   #3
jclark138
Runs with scissors-

Yamaha

OR ! Use the Diesel engine to drive a hydraulic pump, with hydraulic motor at each wheel. Then calculate what valves are needed for forward/ reverse & steering ( in both directions ) and . . . . like (some)monster trucks

too much coffee-
jclark138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 11:56 AM   #4
875VA
Not Yet Wild
Cushman

Look into a transmission from a Club Car XRT 1550. The transmission has a driven clutch and the outputs are shaft drive. You could then easily swap to axle's out of something like a early 90's Honda Fourtrax 350 with the solid axle front and rear or you could use the XRT rear axle and graft or build a subframe for the front suspension to hold the IFS and front differential. The motor mounts sideways, if you get the XRT mount that holds the engine and transmission together you could easily mount that to the frame rails.
875VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 07:41 AM   #5
TonicThrower
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-N-R Customs View Post
I知 going to be converting an identical electric rear end to a steer axle with knuckles for my sons mini Jeep. But to have an electric front axle with a diesel (or gas) rear drive train would be an engineering nightmare. You would have to have a controller that that was calibrated to match whatever motor your running in the front (combined with gears and tire size) with the speed of your rear engine. Or the cart would try to tear itself in half or the front would always be too slow and cause binding while driving.

I hope you document the build for the steering electric rear axle.
TonicThrower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 06:00 PM   #6
S-N-R Customs
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonicThrower View Post
I hope you document the build for the steering electric rear axle.

I was thinking that.. I知 notorious for not taking pictures... but I知 trying to get better. I have to pull the motor and count the splines so I know what year axle to hunt down so I can get started. I値l probably have the right axle in the next month or so then I値l start a thread.

S-N-R Customs is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!