lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-10-2018, 10:43 PM   #1
Sethmac
Getting Wild

Default Cart Slowly Shutters After Controller/Motor/Cable/Solenoid Upgrade

Just upgraded to A4, alltrax 500, solenoid and 2ga cables. Cart just shutters forward and backwards.

Controller has a solid green light.

Any ideas?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7593.jpg (96.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7592.jpg (63.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7590.jpg (136.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7589.jpg (171.6 KB, 0 views)
Sethmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-10-2018, 11:50 PM   #2
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Cart Slowly Shutters After Controller/Motor/Cable/Solenoid Upgrade

Remove the diode between the solenoid small posts, it is installed backwards and not needed with the Altrax XCT.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 12:43 AM   #3
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Hey Sergio, I talked to Ron Manns (Alltrax Technical Service Manager) on Monday about this very same thing and he told me that the diode on the coil was needed and that the manual and drawing reflects it correctly. I told him I would follow up with an email so I could share it. (see the attached email and also their drawing revised/updated 4-17-18 )

Sethmc, as Sergio stated, your coil suppression diode is backwards and needs to be reversed. It appears from your pic that the Regen diode between the large posts is also backwards and needs to be reversed. Look at the attached drawing; the Regen diode's silver band should go towards the same post the Main Pack Pos (+) cable is connected to. Looks like yours ~might be towards the post for the controller side cable. This would be depicted as #5 on the drawing.

The suppression diode is depicted as #1 on the drawing.

Coil Diode Email.jpg
Attached Files
File Type: pdf XCT CLUBCAR IQ WIRE DIA.pdf (135.7 KB, 0 views)
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 06:38 AM   #4
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Since the diode has been installed backwards, please test it before using it again in case it is now damaged.

NoleFan4Ever, Scottyb also has emails he received directly from Alltrax support stating the suppression diode is not needed with the XCT.

While is not a big deal having 2 suppression circuits, it is hard to believe that Alltrax cannot just get everyone on the same page on their side.

I pointed out in a previous post (with links) where there were two versions of the XCT-IQ wiring diagram from Alltrax, with different information but the same revision number and date stamps?????
Old 07-11-2018, 07:06 AM   #5
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
NoleFan4Ever, Scottyb also has emails he received directly from Alltrax support stating the suppression diode is not needed with the XCT.

While is not a big deal having 2 suppression circuits, it is hard to believe that Alltrax cannot just get everyone on the same page on their side.

I pointed out in a previous post (with links) where there were two versions of the XCT-IQ wiring diagram from Alltrax, with different information but the same revision number and date stamps?????
Oh I understand Sergio, and not sure if the drawings you refer to are newer then the 4-17-18 I posted. But that is off their website and is the same as in my current manual that came with my newest delivery. That is why I called them as I know the newer 2017 and up models were not supposed to need them. I was told that it was tried, but not successful and all drawings and manuals were updated to reflect the need for the diode to avoid ambiguity and provide future consistency. That is why I documented it with the email from the technical service manager so it would not be an assumption on my part.

I am sure during the transitions back and forth, there were some contradictory statements made, and is why they are trying to firm it up now with some consistency through the manuals, drawings, and communications.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 07:41 AM   #6
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

This has some pretty big implications to members here and again I would wish Alltrax releases an official communication throughout their distribution channels.

I see two possibilities:
1) The engineers finally came to talk to the tech support folks and informed them the XCT Controllers have no built in solenoid suppression and it needs to be added externally.

2) Since the Controller needs access to the positive side of the coil for the built in suppression to be effective and since that may not be the case in all cart makers and models, management made a decision to tell everyone to install the diode to avoid confusion.
If the issue is #2, no big deal for everyone that has received an XCT from a site sponsor without the diode.

If the issue is #1, we need to know right away as many Controllers will be at risk for not having the diode installed.

Scotty or David, can You guys please clarify this with someone above tech support?
Old 07-11-2018, 07:50 AM   #7
Sethmac
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
Since the diode has been installed backwards, please test it before using it again in case it is now damaged.

I reinstalled...i could have sworn it matched the picture I had with the directions, but its was also very late :)

How do I test the diode? I had already switched them when I read your first post. Cart is running great, but not sure what the signs of a damaged diode are.
Old 07-11-2018, 08:12 AM   #8
Sethmac
Getting Wild

Got some assurance of polarity protection with the Alltrax. Lot of snags along the way, but its running great now.

Thanks folks!
Old 07-11-2018, 08:14 AM   #9
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

You are fine, my concern was that the diode could have failed in a "closed" or "shorted" state, but that would have prevented the cart from running regardless which way the diode was installed.

Since the Solenoid is working now, the diode is fine.

Did You also check the 'Regen" diode on the big posts to make sure the striped side is towards the pack positive battery post?
Old 07-11-2018, 08:20 AM   #10
Sethmac
Getting Wild

Sergio, I followed NoleFan4Ever advice and flipped them both based on the diagram...any concerns there?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car