lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-15-2013, 09:38 PM   #1
Quixotic
Not Yet Wild

Default Engine running backwards

My motor keeps running after key is off and runs backwards a bit. I have heard this is too advanced ignition is this true and is there an adjustment. Also it would be harder to start if the advance was too much.
Quixotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-16-2013, 05:06 AM   #2
shoelessjoe
Gone Wild

Default Re: Engine running backwards

This topic comes up a bit. There are a few genearal reasons why this could be happening.

1. Check the butterfly in your carb and be sure that when the throttle is released the butterfly closes completely. If it is not closing all the way that could be cause of your problem.

2. There could be a build up of carbon in the head, on the valves, etc. When the engine gets warm that carbon also warms up quite a bit and can actually stay hot enough to cause combustion even when you have taken your foot off the pedal. If that is the issue you can use Seafoam to try and clean out the carbon. Take about a shot glass worth of Seafoam and dump it directly into the engine via the spark plug hole (while the engine is cold) and then run the engine in maintenance mode, or with the rear tires jacked up, for a bit. The engine will smoke a lot but that Seafoam should help to clean out the carbon. I would try a few applications and then take the remaining Seafoam and add it to the gastank (at the proper ratio of course).
shoelessjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:33 AM   #3
shoelessjoe
Gone Wild

Finally got around to Seafoam'ing my engine in an attempt to get it to quit dieseling (running backwards after you shut it down) so I figured I'd update you.

Put the cart into maintenance mode, took 3 ounces (or so) of Seafoam, removed spark plug and poured Seafoam into spark plug hole. Let it sit for a minute, got antsy and tried to start cart...wouldn't start. Pulled plug and turned motor over expelling Seafoam out of the plug hole. Let cart sit for a minute and put about 2 ounces back in and let the cart sit for a few minutes. Replaced spark plug and ran cart in maintenance mode for 3-5 minutes until it stopped smoking (the Seafoam will make it smoke).

My cart use to have dieseling issues pretty regularly, especially the hotter it got outside. Yesterday it was 85 or so, took it for a ride after the Seafoam and it never once dieseled. I'll get a few more rides in before I say it's cured for good but if it didn't do it yesterday there's a good chance it won't do it at all.

Also added about 5 ounces of Seafoam to the tank as well when I was all done.
Old 05-25-2013, 02:20 AM   #4
Left Coast Kiteboarding
Gone Wild

Club Car

Sweet. I have the same issues. I'll give the sea foam a shot!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Left Coast Kiteboarding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:08 AM   #5
shoelessjoe
Gone Wild

Ran my cart the other day (it was another hot day) and at one stop it did a little half-hearted attempt at dieseling a bit. It wasn't much and compared to what it use to do it was nothing but it was the first time I'd seen any signs since the initial seafoam application. I ran another dose of seafoam through it the other day just to try and get any last little bits of carbon out of there if possible.

I'll run it some more and see what happens. So, long story short it may take a few applications.

Tags
timing adjustment
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car