lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-01-2012, 09:35 AM   #1
letitbe
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Charging problems

96 TXT DCS non PDS. I had thought my charger had quit, but now I think it is the cart. I had cleaned all the motor and battery contacts and then realized that I had had the charger hooked up. Charger would not function. Have three 12v chargers, hooked each to two batteries and charged to 100%, switched tow run to run, next morning, two were dead and the other four around 75%. Key and f/r were off. I can run test, but can someone lead me to what may be the problem? Thanks Guys. letitbe, Live Free
letitbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-01-2012, 09:39 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Charging problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by letitbe View Post
I had thought my charger had quit, but now I think it is the cart. I had cleaned all the motor and battery contacts and then realized that I had had the charger hooked up. Charger would not function. Have three 12v chargers, hooked each to two batteries and charged to 100%, switched tow run to run, next morning, two were dead and the other four around 75%. Key and f/r were off. I can run test, but can someone lead me to what may be the problem? Thanks Guys. letitbe, Live Free
sounds like you have bad batteries? You could recharge and then disconnect the mains, retest in the morning. This way you eliminate the possibility of the cart draining the batteries. If they drop again overnight, you have bad batteries.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:52 AM   #3
letitbe
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Just had batteries checked, one weak. Is there something that I might have done by disconnecting the batteries while charging? Also, now after some discarge, when stepping on accelerator the cart falls on it's face unless you wean it up to speed.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:24 AM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Running a DCS controller on low voltage will kill it, so I'd get the battery issues straightened out before attempting to run cart any more.

Disconnecting batteries while charging, probably didn't harm them, or the charger; But it might have damaged controller.

Being able to accelerate slowly to speed, but cart falls on its face when you step hard of the pedal, indicates you may have one or more batteries failing under load, which also means you are hitting the controller with low voltage and low voltage kills DCS controllers.

What are the actual battery voltage readings?
What kind of 36V charger do you have?
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 10:31 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I agree, Johnnyb. Operation on low voltage (-36v) is the #1 killer of DCS stock controllers, period.

This testing could get very expensive.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 10:53 AM   #6
letitbe
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

0 @ recpt. almost 40 @ bat pack. Power wise 28115-G01 Man. D Nov 96
Old 08-01-2012, 11:13 AM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

About 40V at battery pack, but -0- at charger receptacle on cart.
That means the the battery pack isn't connected to the charger receptacle.
Therefore, your Powerwise charger won't power up.

The 60A fuse in the white wire that connects battery pack to charger receptacle might be blown.
Otherwise, you've got a bad or disconnected wire.
Old 08-04-2012, 10:19 AM   #8
letitbe
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Ok, sorry for the stall. Friday, I purchased a digitial tester. Found one neg wire that I had dropped and the end was under the controller, so had thought it went to it. Now have 37.7v @ pack and recpt. Batteries rechecked.From Pos to Neg on pack. 1-6.2v@84% 2-6.2v@84% 3-6.1@66% 4-6.2@69%5- 6.2v@84% 6-6.4@91%. Purchased and replaced 3&4 in pack. WHIPLASH. well better anyway, it drove great. I ran the cart to a discharged state were as the meter on cart showed just above half. Last night I charged two batteries @ at time to 100%. This morning went to move the cart and meter on cart shows, just above half, pack and recpt @ 37.7v ?? Bad meter on cart? Starting electrical troubleshoot this morning, charger still don't work. I'll check this post @ 6 PM CDT. Thanks all, letitbe. Live free
Old 08-05-2012, 03:14 AM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Sorry I missed you deadline.
I tossed my PDA, wristwatch, pager and cell phone in a drawer the day I retired and they haven't seen the light of day since.

Several things going on here that are separate issues, but the symptoms overlap a bit.

1. How do you know you are charging the batteries to 100%???
38.2V would be 100% State of Charge for a 36V pack, but it is measured after the batteries have rested 12 hours.
Otherwise, you are measuring the "Surface Charge" lead-acid batteries acquire while charging.

2. You list four batteries with 6.2V and say three of them are 84% SoC, while saying the other is 69%.
This is probably due to rounding errors, but posting the individual battery voltages to at least two digits to the right of the decimal point would be more appropriate since the spread between 70% and 80% is only 0.06V.

3. If your dash mounted battery meter is the LED bar-graph type, do yourself a favor and replace it with a DVM type or the old analog type.
The LED bar-graph meters have a nasty habit of resetting themselves to read full scale at something other than 100% SoC.
I wouldn't trust the accuracy at all until I had verified it with a handheld DVM.

4. You've now got 37.xV at cart's charging receptacle, yet the Powerwise charge doesn't turn on.
Either the battery pack voltage isn't being sensed via the Auxiliary contact in the charger's plug, or the control board in the charger is bad.
Here's a manual for the charger. Troubleshooting tree is on page 13.

Glad to hear cart is running better.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf PW Charger manual.pdf (3.02 MB, 0 views)
Old 08-15-2012, 10:04 PM   #10
letitbe
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

The time was not meant for a deadline, just to let people know when I might read their reply. I have not wore a watch since 1978, never had PDAs or cell phones, then. Thanks very much for your reply. I've had things come up and got called away, so I never made that time either. LOL
1. I have a industrial charger that shows percent of charge.
2. I replaced the batteries that were @66&69%. I had thought that O'Reilly's had made a load test on the batteries but I found out the other day the guy only did a rate of charge, so I'm hoping I replaced the correct batteries, as the old ones were given for core.
3. Cleaned contacts on meter, working fine, but plan on new DVM. Purchased new hand held.
4. One of the diodes was bad, replaced both. Charger amp meter deflects to 20 amps when jumping relay. Have new relay on the way for $8.69.
Will return after install of new relay. THANKS JohnnieB
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO