lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-01-2019, 11:06 AM   #41
Rob_s
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Re: New lithium ion batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCPW View Post
The thing you need to take into account with lithium though is they are essentially maintenance free (no acid spray to clean, no watering, no worry of over-self discharge if stored for any length) and they have at least double the life span of your FLA batteries.
yeah, I got that. Some of that's an actual hard cost (longer life) and some of it's a soft-cost (labor to maintain, potential for damage).

and then there's the "cost" of being the guinea pig. That 2x lifespan becomes meaningless if they crap the bed 6 months from now. Right now that's a theoretical lifespan at best on a new product.

Quote:
PS; $1300 for a set of rangers installed, even in your driveway, is highway robbery IMO.
curious what you'd expect to pay then. I paid $216/battery installed. I've seen the batteries alone online for ~$180 but only if that vendor has a store in your area (which I don't). Speaking of soft costs, my time is worth money and making one phone call and having the guy in my driveway 2 days later has a value to me.

of course, understanding that any cheaper the Rangers are that further diminishes the potential cost benefit we're talking about with the Allied. Let's say the Rangers should have cost me $1k for the set, that means the 80ah would have to last nearly 3x as long to make them pay off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whit71 View Post
I think he is referring to the cost of the Trojan lithium drop-in compared to the allied drop-in.
that makes sense, thanks. I hadn't seen the Trojan lithium anywhere when I was looking for options to replace my Rangers.
Rob_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-08-2019, 04:37 PM   #42
PearlPack
Getting Wild
Club Car

Great info, NavyTerp. I am leaning towards the same route.
PearlPack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 04:47 PM   #43
Lainiest
Not Yet Wild

I bought these Allied Lithium Batteries for my 2013 Club Car. They have been very problematic. I purchased the recommended charger and found out the hard way that it does no charge these batteries if you have your OBC still intact.
Will charge with the OEM charger. However, it has still died once out of the blue.
I charge the batteries and never get past 90%. When you switch from the 6 batteries down to 4 you have to either buy their spacer batteries or fabricate your own spacer(s). They last a bit longer than the AGM batteries, but they are not worth the money I spent. I wish I had bought Trojans. I have had them installed since the end of July. I hope they last through winter storage.

Last edited by Lainiest; 10-14-2019 at 04:49 PM.. Reason: clarification.
Lainiest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 09:55 PM   #44
anpgator
Getting Wild

I’m surprised to hear the 50ah would only have a 25 mile range. Our rental fleet of 6 passenger Star carts with 8 6v setups (T-105s) get well over 20 miles on a charge at 25 mph.
anpgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 10:19 PM   #45
anpgator
Getting Wild

I’m surprised to hear the 50ah would only have a 25 mile range. Our rental fleet of 6 passenger Star carts with 8 6v setups (T-105s) get well over 20 miles on a charge at 25 mph.
Old 10-14-2019, 10:31 PM   #46
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by anpgator View Post
Not in Pennsylvania.....not in the mountains and hills and not in hunting weather of 20 degrees.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 04:04 AM   #47
BBBHC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainiest View Post
I bought these Allied Lithium Batteries for my 2013 Club Car. They have been very problematic. I purchased the recommended charger and found out the hard way that it does no charge these batteries if you have your OBC still intact.
Will charge with the OEM charger. However, it has still died once out of the blue.
I charge the batteries and never get past 90%. When you switch from the 6 batteries down to 4 you have to either buy their spacer batteries or fabricate your own spacer(s). They last a bit longer than the AGM batteries, but they are not worth the money I spent. I wish I had bought Trojans. I have had them installed since the end of July. I hope they last through winter storage.
Sorry to hear this has not been a better experience. Have you considered bypassing the OBC? I have to imagine the recommended charger would be better to use.

Also, how are you planning to store them over winter? Lithium batteries DO NOT like freezing temperatures.
BBBHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 06:53 AM   #48
anpgator
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTM View Post
Not in Pennsylvania.....not in the mountains and hills and not in hunting weather of 20 degrees.
All true. In the FL panhandle with little to no hills and usually between 80-100F
Old 10-15-2019, 08:02 PM   #49
PearlPack
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainiest View Post

I'd be curious to hear NavyTerp's reply to this...
PearlPack is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car