lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-27-2019, 11:34 PM   #1
hymanykd
Not Yet Wild

Default 2008 Precedent Rear Gear Oil

Doing a rear end oil change the weekend. What gear oil is acceptable? Manual calls up 75/90 Gl3 best I can find is a 75/90 gl4 or 5. Can this be used instead?
hymanykd is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-28-2019, 06:49 AM   #2
superpro56
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 2008 Precedent Rear Gear Oil

I read that GL5 can have adverse effects on brass, in our application that's probably meaningless. As far as I know GL4 replaced GL3 so I would go with that, but would shy away from GL5 just out of an abundance of caution.
superpro56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 07:22 AM   #3
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

I haven’t seen anything spec GL3 fluid since the early 90s and even then it was not that common. Seems odd they would spec that for the rear axle on these.

I use plain 80w-90 gl5 in all of mine. Typically whatever is cheapest at my local parts place.

75-90 is typically synthetic and among synthetic oils I know that Lucas 75w-90 does (or at least did several years ago) have additives that are harmful to brass. These transmissions do have brass synchronizers on the input shaft so I would stay away from anything Lucas branded for this application.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 05:02 PM   #4
mckittrick.joe
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by superpro56 View Post
I read that GL5 can have adverse effects on brass, in our application that's probably meaningless. As far as I know GL4 replaced GL3 so I would go with that, but would shy away from GL5 just out of an abundance of caution.
I use gl4 red line. Cost $15 but save and good. Last for years!

Sent from my LML212VL using Tapatalk
mckittrick.joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 06:41 AM   #5
superpro56
Gone Wild
Club Car

I use Royal Purple for rear end grease, held up well in race cars. Figure it may be overkill, but its approved for GL5 or GL4 and is non-corrosive to soft yellow metals and synthetic to boot.
superpro56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car