lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-03-2019, 05:16 AM   #1
chrisr32
Gone Wild

Default VC460/GX390/Predator420 Billet Flywheel

The billet flywheel has less fan fins and lighter in weight vs. the stock flywheel. Wondering if the less fan fins could cause an overheating problem on the cart as well as the lighter flywheel could allow more vibrations and possibly harder to start by hand due to less flywheel weight inertia. Seems they recommend the billet flywheel for > 5500 RPM.

What's your thoughts?
chrisr32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-03-2019, 06:32 AM   #2
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Default Re: VC460/GX390/Predator420 Billet Flywheel

The guys on cars and cameras used one on theirs and did not encounter any starting or overheating problems.They were using a pull starter as compared to an electric starter or a S/G for staring. Both ARC and NR say using a cast flywheel over 5400 rpms. They also claim much less strain on the engine due to not having that heavy hunk of iron out on the end of the crank. Have yet to try mine.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 07:05 PM   #3
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

There are some of us who can't use a billet flywheel for one reason or another. There isn't a billet flywheel that covers the 18 amp charging system or the UT2 digital advancing ignition system. I use Genuine Honda parts and fasteners. I talked with Russell from NR Racing -- at what speed does a real Honda flywheel get dangerous -- he said he's never heard of a Genuine Honda flywheel fragmenting.
Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 07:16 PM   #4
chrisr32
Gone Wild

Thanks for the replies. I ended up ordering a billet flywheel from NR and adjustable timing bracket from VC. NR recommends 6 degrees advance so I will start with that and see how it works.

Thanks for the input
Old 07-03-2019, 07:19 PM   #5
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Can't wait for a report of your findings. Until carsandcameras build I had been sort of scared off trying it by iffy info.
Old 07-03-2019, 08:44 PM   #6
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

On page 1 of my clone flywheel thread shows a stock genuine Honda flywheel next to the Raceseng unit. I did get the genuine Honda unit but never install it or the Raceseng. I haven't managed to break the original VC item yet.
Old 07-19-2019, 07:49 AM   #7
chrisr32
Gone Wild

As as an update, this morning I was able to get out and ride the bike with the new billet flywheel and VC timing bracket. It seems to rev easier/quicker and get up to top speed faster but the top speed is about 2 mph better. Did not notice and real difference in vibrations at any speed.

The only down side is, I use to be able to pull start the motor while on the seat, now I have to get off the bike and rip it all the way through. Right now that's not a problem and maybe later on I may have to go back to the steel flywheel for the electric start and charging coils.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!