lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-31-2019, 05:39 PM   #21
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: What Is The Status Of EVBattery Center?

The available controller limits the voltage. There are probably some higher voltage (maybe 72V) controllers out there but the one I use is only good for about 60V.
My cart will run for a bit over an hour at speed so I am only discharging the batteries at way under 1C which isn't much.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-01-2019, 08:23 AM   #22
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
It is also important to note that Leaf batteries were engineered to be air cooled and the Volt batteries use liquid cooling.
I have Volt batteries in my cart. They are 47ah, 3p for the ones I have, newer are 2p and more ah I think. I have them in a 14S configuration.

I live in FL where the climate is generally fairly warm.

Last summer I ran this config just fine, no issues with amp draw causing too much heat on a 14S 47ah Chevy Volt pack for the cart in the sig below. I wanted more range, but the pack was working fine.

I doubled the pack to 94ah at the beginning of December 2018 so I could pull a float without worry about the range. Again, no heat issue and I was pulling a float with 12 people on the float and 2 people in the cart at slow-ish parade speeds. I had doubled the pack to 94ah, but it was a high amp draw event for a sustained period, about 30 to 40 minutes and probably averaged 10mph with stops and starts sprinkled around. Temperature was somewhere around 66 degrees and finished the parade around 62 (roughly, but not too cold by any stretch). When I returned home the motor was hot enough to be quite uncomfortable to hold onto, but you could leave your hand on it and there was no identifiable temp increase in the pack.

Of course, a single data point does not a trend make... But that's my experience with a Chevy Volt pack in a golf cart.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 09:48 AM   #23
Riso
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsonj View Post
I have Volt batteries in my cart. They are 47ah, 3p for the ones I have, newer are 2p and more ah I think. I have them in a 14S configuration.

I live in FL where the climate is generally fairly warm.

Last summer I ran this config just fine, no issues with amp draw causing too much heat on a 14S 47ah Chevy Volt pack for the cart in the sig below. I wanted more range, but the pack was working fine.

I doubled the pack to 94ah at the beginning of December 2018 so I could pull a float without worry about the range. Again, no heat issue and I was pulling a float with 12 people on the float and 2 people in the cart at slow-ish parade speeds. I had doubled the pack to 94ah, but it was a high amp draw event for a sustained period, about 30 to 40 minutes and probably averaged 10mph with stops and starts sprinkled around. Temperature was somewhere around 66 degrees and finished the parade around 62 (roughly, but not too cold by any stretch). When I returned home the motor was hot enough to be quite uncomfortable to hold onto, but you could leave your hand on it and there was no identifiable temp increase in the pack.

Of course, a single data point does not a trend make... But that's my experience with a Chevy Volt pack in a golf cart.

Same here. I have never had a heat issue with my volt batteries. I have put well over 1000 miles on my cart since installing my Volt batteries. I did have one battery bulging but I am sure that was from regenerative braking. I replaced it and turned off regen and have not had any other issues. I am running 3 Volt batteries for 141ah.
Riso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 01:45 PM   #24
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I dialed down the regen amperage from the beginning. I have it set at 85 amps and haven't had an issue.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 11:17 PM   #25
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad2388 View Post
Whats the limits of these carts as far as stock battery voltage? Why not use 8 or 9 leaf cells?
The voltage limit is the controller. The Curtis RXV controller was designated as a 48V controller, however it is capable of being reprogrammed for higher nominal voltages. 60V or 72V for instance. It requires a lot of changes to voltage values in the devices controlled by the controllers drivers, such as reverse buzzer/solenoid/motor brake/brake light relay/optional fan control, ect. The max limit that will shut down the RXV controller is 96V. As you raise nominal voltage, you must also remap the bleed resistor control settings, otherwise it will turn on and discharge your battery pack.

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO > Lithium EZGO