lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-02-2016, 02:39 PM   #1
coldcan
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Battery test / load test

I was reading another guys post where he's having trouble with his batteries dying after just a short time of use (its a '90 CC 36V, mine's an '87)), he was told to test each battery under a load, my question is; how do you put a load on a 6 volt battery one at a time when the motor is 36volt, plus I've read on here that you shouldn't run the motor without a load on it - can someone explain, I'm not having trouble with mine yet - but I'm sure I will ) (I'd be a little uncomfortable jacking up the rear end of that heavy sucker and flooring it, if it shook off the jack stands LOOK OUT ! ) Thanks !
coldcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-02-2016, 02:55 PM   #2
270Handiman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Battery test / load test

Use alligator clips and clip your DVM to one battery and take a short ride while monitoring you voltage on the DVM. Repeat for the rest of the batts.
270Handiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 03:19 PM   #3
tag50
Gone Wild
Club Car

About the motor running without a load on it- Yes, you shouldn't spin a motor AT FULL SPEED without a load on it because it can self-destruct with shrapnel. You can bump the throttle for a second to verify rotation (forward or reverse) without harm.

tag50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 03:27 PM   #4
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Best way to load test is while driving the cart. Clip to one battery at a time and get a reading under acceleration and one at rest. That is a real world load test.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 09:49 PM   #5
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldcan View Post
I was reading another guys post where he's having trouble with his batteries dying after just a short time of use (its a '90 CC 36V, mine's an '87)), he was told to test each battery under a load, my question is; how do you put a load on a 6 volt battery one at a time when the motor is 36volt, plus I've read on here that you shouldn't run the motor without a load on it - can someone explain, I'm not having trouble with mine yet - but I'm sure I will ) (I'd be a little uncomfortable jacking up the rear end of that heavy sucker and flooring it, if it shook off the jack stands LOOK OUT ! ) Thanks !
You take voltage READINGS from one battery at a time to discover which battery (batteries) is weaker than the rest of the pack... You don't change anything in the wiring at all.... The best readings will be found while the cart struggle with a large hill and/or loading it down with fat friends...
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 12:08 AM   #6
theboss20
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Smile Re: Battery test / load test

Or load test them with a carbon pile load tester from Northern Supply....about $69.95 plus freight.
theboss20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 04:55 AM   #7
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboss20 View Post
Or load test them with a carbon pile load tester from Northern Supply....about $69.95 plus freight.
At what voltage? Hard to find a load tester that works in 6, 8 and 12 volts to test individual voltage much less one that allows for entire pack voltage at 36 to 48 volts so that one may see how the pack works together....
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 08:40 AM   #8
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Your cart is a free built in load tester. Hook up your DVM and drive it.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 02:47 PM   #9
coldcan
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

GREAT ! Learned something again thanks you all - I was thinking a "load test" would be an amp draw of the motor but now I see its a possible voltage drop on 1 or more batteries (its tricky retro-fitting my brain from servicing AC circuits in HVAC/R and food service equipment to DC golf carts - and the BLACK ground is really a struggle lol ) thanks again
Old 05-03-2016, 02:49 PM   #10
coldcan
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Oh , and a DVM is a "digital volt meter" right ?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car