lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-12-2015, 07:34 AM   #1
boaterholic
Not Yet Wild

Default Rear Long Travel suspension

I am looking for a long travel suspension for my '99 EZGO TXT. And the other part of what I seek is, can I get one that will allow me to use the stock 295 engine, and later when I'm ready also let me use the 350 engine? Mine has the back seat option., so I don't want to use the Jakes for the rear as it's reported to be too soft and body rolls on turns.
Can anyone tell me where I maybe able to buy one?
Thanks
boaterholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-14-2015, 07:45 PM   #2
uwantsumofthis
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Rear Long Travel suspension

Jakes Is the only one I know of that makes long travel. If it's 2 soft go with harder springs on the shocks. I have to install one of these kits in a few days after I clean up a rear end for a customer cart. I have the kit sitting on the ground and I tell u it's looks nice in the box. looks like 4 wheeler shocks. I Don't know what your talking about as far as roll. If u mean rubbing the fender wells then harder springs should fix that problem. If u mean rolling the cart over, that's a chance u have to take with any kit.
uwantsumofthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 07:51 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Roll comes with the territory when you talk IRS.
I made my own IRS based upon what I read in the 4X4 forums when I built the work horse.
I used some progressive coilovers from Strech back in the day when they offered front LT.
Rear shock towers are tilted inward to reduce roll and promote stability
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 11:57 PM   #4
boaterholic
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Roll comes with the territory when you talk IRS.
I made my own IRS based upon what I read in the 4X4 forums when I built the work horse.
I used some progressive coilovers from Strech back in the day when they offered front LT.
Rear shock towers are tilted inward to reduce roll and promote stability
I saw your build and it's nice and more or less what i am looking for. Just need to find someone that is making them and selling so I can buy.
Old 10-15-2015, 12:01 AM   #5
boaterholic
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by uwantsumofthis View Post
Jakes Is the only one I know of that makes long travel. If it's 2 soft go with harder springs on the shocks. I have to install one of these kits in a few days after I clean up a rear end for a customer cart. I have the kit sitting on the ground and I tell u it's looks nice in the box. looks like 4 wheeler shocks. I Don't know what your talking about as far as roll. If u mean rubbing the fender wells then harder springs should fix that problem. If u mean rolling the cart over, that's a chance u have to take with any kit.
On the roll part I meant I read that they tend to wallow a little bit and especially on turns may lean out a good bit.
One thing with Jakes, I think they hook up to front leaf bracket, which to me seems a little short on the length of arm and therefore not as comfortable a long travel as the ones members here have built or commercially purchased that seem to have about twice the length arms going to chassis crossmember further forward.

Can you tell me if the cart you are putting this kit on has back seat, and let me know how it rides in general?

Thanks.
Old 10-15-2015, 07:20 PM   #6
boaterholic
Not Yet Wild

Has anyone ever taken their stock leaf springs and made a homemade version of the Jake's by just cutting off the leaf spring behind the axle, and replaced the stock shock with an air shock or good coil over? Or maybe even used only the primary leaf to keep the axle in its place with minimal weight support, and installed the air shock or good coil over to actually carry the weight? I wonder how that would make the ride if any noticeable improvement.
Are there even air shocks that short?
Old 10-15-2015, 08:59 PM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

That has been done. I don't know how good a ride you would get though>?
A lot of engineering goes into a suspension system. If a better system was as easy as cutting off the springs and putting a coil or air shock on then that's what EVERYBODY would be doing but, it's not that easy in my opinion
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 11:52 PM   #8
uwantsumofthis
Not Yet Wild

I had a friend that cut the leaf springs right behind the blocks and added the air shocks, I cant remember what he did with the front but got it to work off a airbag compressor. Was a nice soft ride. He even got a old guy to put up all kind of money so he could start a "air bag for golf cart business" called ez-lo. Then he turned to herion, and prescription drugs. Stole everything the old guy bought for the company, and ripped the set up out the cart. I think I still have the bag shocks he left at my shop.

Lesson today kids is, DONT DO DRUGS!!!!!!
Old 10-16-2015, 01:24 AM   #9
uwantsumofthis
Not Yet Wild

I am installing this on a cart we're building at work just to sell. Don't know if we r going with the rear seat yet, but knowing my boss most likely. I wont know the results till at lest another month.
I tore the rear end down today and sand blasted the cast center. next step is to tear the axels and brakes down so I can sand blast, and paint them. After I complete the rear end i'm installing the kit, and rear end on a txt electric lifted chassis that they restored the frame on. We keep a bunch of restored rolling chassis at work for our customers who want us to build a cart to there specs.
Still have to install the robins engine, and components to make it run before I even get to the body. So rear seat is about 2 months ahead of me. I only work on this cart when im not doing nothing, so progress is in turtle mode
Old 10-16-2015, 08:47 AM   #10
boaterholic
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by uwantsumofthis View Post
I had a friend that cut the leaf springs right behind the blocks and added the air shocks, I cant remember what he did with the front but got it to work off a airbag compressor. Was a nice soft ride. He even got a old guy to put up all kind of money so he could start a "air bag for golf cart business" called ez-lo. Then he turned to herion, and prescription drugs. Stole everything the old guy bought for the company, and ripped the set up out the cart. I think I still have the bag shocks he left at my shop.

Lesson today kids is, DONT DO DRUGS!!!!!!
I have an All Sports LT on the front and absolutely love it. I just need to smooth out the rear with it getting unstable and wallowing when ever I have passenger on the back seat, which is not often.
Any chance you know what airshocks he used on the rear? I did also think about the airbags, but don't know if there any "soft" enough for a golf cart.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO