lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-23-2015, 04:28 PM   #1
CMV
Not Yet Wild

Default Help with early 70's HD carb

Hi all. New here & new to carts in general. I bought a 70 or 71 HD 3-wheel cart. It ran great for about 6 months & then started acting up. Here's the sequence of events right before/after it started having issues:

Filled with fuel mixed 100:1, added about 2 oz of SeaFoam to the full tank. Pure 87 gas - no ethanol. No reason to add the SeaFoam as it was running well - just a preventive measure all my small engines get 2x per year.

Ran about half that tank out & then it wouldn't "go". Engine turned like it was trying to start, but wouldn't actually run and move forward or reverse.

A guy I know who tinkers with a lot of stuff like this said he had one years ago & his did the same thing & it was the carb. Specifically whatever part of the carb that acts as a fuel pump.

So I got a new carb off eBay. No-name brand for about $30. Looked just like the original one.

Put it on & it fixed the problem - sort of. The engine will catch & go now, but I HAVE to choke it to get it to start from a stop. Even if I've been running it for 30 min & it's good & warmed up, if I stop, I have to give it between 1/2-2/3 choke, then push the choke all the way in as soon as the engine fires up.

So I figure this new carb needs adjusted, but I have NO IDEA how. I only see 2 adjustments. One for the throttle stop/idle which seems useless since it doesn't 'idle'. The other is a longer post with a little brass T handle. I went through the entire range of adjustment on it in about 1/3-turn increments. From all the way in & bottomed out to so loose it seemed like it was going to wobble out. It was better or worse at different points along the way, but never got to a point where it would just 'go' in forward w/o touching the choke. It did seem to want to go in reverse a time or two, but not like it did when running well.

Am I missing something for adjusting the carb, did I get what I paid for with a cheapie eBay carb, or is there something else I should be doing to get it right?
CMV is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-23-2015, 06:09 PM   #2
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Default Re: Help with early 70's HD carb

Those carbs have diaphrams in them that suck the fuel up ftom the tank. However, the crank sesls need to be in good shape for those diaphrams to woro right. Good chance those are bad. Those are cheap but they are a bit painful to replace. The front one is under the points / fan. That one isnt too bad to replace. The back one is under the clutch which can be tough to get off.

You could install an electric fuel pump and see if that works. I converted with good results on my carts but others havent been as fortunate.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 05:06 PM   #3
CMV
Not Yet Wild

It ran like a top so I don't think there are other contributing factors. Maybe, but who knows...

But it went from nice & smooth & running just like a new machine, to the engine not catching. Then the new carb & it's running again. Just have to choke it to get the engine to catch & take off. That's why I'm thinking it's something with the carb.
Old 06-24-2015, 05:14 PM   #4
CMV
Not Yet Wild

I'd post a pic of the carb, but can't put up pictures yet. Is there any adjustment to it like other small engines or are there no adjustments necessary for it?

I only see one thing that looks like an adjustment screw which is the longer, spring-loaded post with a tiny brass T handle at the end, but I don't know if that's supposed to be messed with.

But once it's going, it seems to run great with the choke all the way in. Just as fast & pulls a moderately steep hill well.

My compression is 85 forward & 90 reverse. On a different forum it was suggested that's too low. Seems powerful, quick, & pulls hills.

Anyway...whenever I've waited long enough to post links, I'll take a short video of exactly what it's doing & maybe that will help figure out what's wrong.
Old 06-24-2015, 07:39 PM   #5
Kplhdryder
Gone Wild
Harley Davidson

Got to agree with Lochlin, most likely your seals, these carts are upwards of 40+years old. The seals are most likely the problem. If your crankcase is sucking air, your carb is not suck fuel even when the motor is warmed up. As for that that carburetor you got off of flebay, most are junk in my opinion. I would replace the crank seals , and the rebuild your original tilloston, with a good quality rebuild kit.
Kplhdryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 09:45 PM   #6
73eldo
Gone Wild
Harley Davidson

100:1? That seems a little thin. Have you done a compression check?
73eldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson