lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-13-2019, 08:32 AM   #1
chrisr32
Gone Wild

Default Head porting tools for GX390/Predator420

I know there are a lot of tools to port heads, but is there an inexpensive starter kit that could be used to improve flow? I already have die grinders and some small bits just have never ported a head before.

Thanks in advance for your help

This is similar to what I have but mine are from Blue Point (Snap-on) that I bought from many, many years ago...

https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/00478503
chrisr32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-13-2019, 11:05 AM   #2
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

Default Re: Head porting tools for GX390/Predator420

I would suggest a Dremel and and flexible drive cable so you don't have to deal with the tool weight and air hose. The tool is more controllable. Watch some Youtube and learn how its done.
Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 08:27 PM   #3
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

I wouldn't use anything that aggressive. I liked my Dremel with abrasives. Those heads are aluminum so you have to keep the speed down or the metal will melt into the abrasive. You can use a wire brush to clean out the sandpaper material. Go slow, take your time, take a little off at a time. You can always take off more, but you can't put it back.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 03:44 PM   #4
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisr32 View Post
I know there are a lot of tools to port heads, but is there an inexpensive starter kit that could be used to improve flow? I already have die grinders and some small bits just have never ported a head before.

Thanks in advance for your help

This is similar to what I have but mine are from Blue Point (Snap-on) that I bought from many, many years ago...

https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/00478503
When I did my 2 heads used carbide cutters such as you have. There is a LOT of material to remove in the valve pockets and valve shrouding.I used old valves to protect the valve seats when doing the !/8" right off the seat.There is also a LOT of material on the pyramid around the valve guide. There a long shanked cutter with the seats taped up worked best.Once the big amounts are removed you can use the fine abrasives to clean up the cutter marks.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 09:49 AM   #5
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Pics of my 5 carbide cutters plus the 2 tool steel units I use for head porting.I lag bolt the head to a block of wood that is clamped to a table for the heavy material removal such as the valve pockets.It is also mounted this way when I use the tool steel rotary file for the valve unshrouding.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0752.jpg (219.0 KB, 0 views)
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 08:21 AM   #6
bjorn773
Not Yet Wild

I did a quite a bit of chainsaw porting a couple years ago. The Dremel and flex shaft really was the way to go. Take your time, you can take too much off in a hurry. I would also recommend a file card... the carbide tends to load up. The file card will clean out the bit.
bjorn773 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 09:46 PM   #7
chrisr32
Gone Wild

I do not have any long burs so I will probably get at least one to reach the hard to hit areas and a long roll sander to take out some of the machining marks from the burs. I do also have a Dremel and will probably try porting a Predator 420 head this winter.

Thanks again for your feedback.
Old 10-12-2019, 02:23 PM   #8
chrisr32
Gone Wild

As an update, I watched a LOT of videos and took the plunge on mildly porting my VC460 head as well as installed roller 1.3:1 roller rockers. Off the line start it launches much harder, ~250 more RPM at WOT and +5 more MPH. I installed a VC timing key at 6 degrees advance prior to this last change and it sometimes kicked back while pull starting it and that hurt. Now it does mot seem to do that so I am contributing this to the 1.3:1 rockers since the valve end gap is the same both with the 1.1:1 and the new roller rockers.

This video of all of them I thought did really good for a high level overview on porting heads.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r99XisKXgAw
Old 10-12-2019, 04:40 PM   #9
BIKERMIKEYBLACK
Gone Wild

Yamaha

That’s a great video and exactly wat I did on my hemi head It didn’t need much short side radius and blending in is really all u need on a street type engine (golf cart ) some folks get carried away and remove too much which actually hurts performance at lower rpm
BIKERMIKEYBLACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 11:39 PM   #10
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

I was asked about how to port a head. Its hard to explain in words other then knock off all square edges and round them. Again I suggest using a dremel with a flex shaft over a die grinder and 1/4" bits. It's easy to over do things when your cutting as fast as a carbide burr removes metal. Plus you can reach deeper with the shaft handle.
I don't polish the intake port as a certain amount of roughness is helpful in vaporizing the fuel air mix.
I try to make my exhaust port like a horn to the exhaust flange.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN6489.JPG (234.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN6492.JPG (238.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN6495.JPG (234.0 KB, 0 views)
Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!