lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-20-2015, 01:32 PM   #1
bigredcornhead
Not Yet Wild

Default Harley Davidson Columbia 4 wheel Golf Cart

Hello all,

I recently purchased a Harley Davidson powered columbia 4 wheel for my elderly father to retrieve his mail on an acreage. I am attempting to go through the motor and revive this old cart for him. It wants to run but it belching oil out of the exhaust badly. I have attached a few pics of it, i would like to know what year, model and if parts diagrams or breakdowns are available. I was not able to find any model number any where on here. So please let me know if you might have an idea of the issue or if you can narrow down years and models. thanks very much for any help you can provide very appreciated.

***Well i was going to post pics of the cart, but i guess i have to wait 7 days...anyway if you can assist i will PM them to you. Or if there is a way around that it would be a huge help.***
bigredcornhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-20-2015, 07:34 PM   #2
Kplhdryder
Gone Wild
Harley Davidson

Default Re: Harley Davidson Columbia 4 wheel Golf Cart

First off welcome to BGW, The issues you are having could be any number of things, more input will be required. For starters, on the frame toward the rear of the cart is a plate that hold the mystery information required to know your year and model of your cart. Its on the cross member, right next to the rear tire on the drivers side (usually ) I have attached a pic to show where it should be. Also link with the info that should help you with the identification.
We'll be looking forward to more input and pics, Many other knowledgeable members of BGW will chime, and are willing to help. Good Luck

http://www.vintagegolfcartparts.com/...d_serial_guide
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0901.jpg (156.4 KB, 0 views)
Kplhdryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 08:59 AM   #3
73eldo
Gone Wild
Harley Davidson

First thing to figure out is if you are 81 older or 82 newer.

81 older the engine is all metal and the forward reverse switch is on the floor. 82+ part of the fan housing is plastic and the FR is in the bey between the seats.
73eldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 11:55 AM   #4
bigredcornhead
Not Yet Wild

Ok great information it is 82 and newer because i have the plastic on the head and the reverse switch is next to ignition. I tried to set the points last night it keeps falling out so im starting to think the timing is completely off. Has any set the timing on their and could explain the procedure? Please let me know some pictures would be awesome!
Old 06-21-2015, 04:33 PM   #5
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Timing those carts can be a real SOB. I hate doing it so bad that I convert my carts to electronic ignitions and lose the points and the timing headaches that come with them. That's just me though. Points work fine when you get them just right.

Do a forum search for timing and you'll get a ton of hits. Generally, though, you should have a "pointer" that looks like a V on the fan shroud. This will be up and to the right from the points. Additionally, you should have two lines on the fan base. The V is fixed whereas the lines rotate with the fan. You should set your points to open when that V is visually positioned between those two lines.

Now, this system is a bit silly as the angle in which you are looking at the V to line it up is different all the the time. Therefore, lining up that V with the lines on the fan base is normally just a starting point. You'll probably need to make some slight adjustments left and right until you get it via trial and error.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 08:41 AM   #6
73eldo
Gone Wild
Harley Davidson

IF you have the plastic fan housing and points from the factory that puts you somewhere between 82 and 86. I think 87 they went to electronic ignition and oil injection which went in the center of the fan too. Its also possible someone ripped all that off and put points in so from no on we will just assume you have a 82-86.

The way I set the timing is to just mess with it till it runs on jack stands. Once I get it to that point I put it on the ground and try driving it both forward and reverse. If one way is stronger than the other I make a slight adjustment if that gets them closer to the same power I keep going that direction till its balanced. If not go the other direction.

Make sure you have a good ground between the engine and body. Stock was a braided wire around one of the mounts. Just to be sure you can add one. Only thing that uses the ground is the ignition system. The starter/generator is not grounded through the engine, it gets its ground depending on the position of the F/R switch.

Yours should have a Walbro carb with a regular round float and bowl. Make sure the needle is not hanging up in its bore. Had that happen with mine and it flooded bad. Had it apart 3 times before I noticed it was just a little white corrosion in there hanging it up.

What is the fuel pump? If its a crank case pulse pump you should not have too much pressure. If its a pulse pump it could be bad and leaking into the crankcase. If its electric of some sort those can easily have too much pressure.
73eldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 09:20 AM   #7
bigredcornhead
Not Yet Wild

This gas Columbia Harley Cart must be an 87 then cause i have the plastic cylinder head cover, oil pump on the point cover. It would be a huge help if anyone has the manual, or if they can get a picture of these timing marks. I have read all kinds of threads referencing the procedure, but I have no place to start. Let me know if anyone can help out with those. Thanks very much.

****BTW i did figure out this is an 84 Columbia Harley 4 wheel Cart, with serial that starts with 5k and ends with C4!!!***
Old 06-24-2015, 11:13 AM   #8
bigredcornhead
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lochlin View Post
Timing those carts can be a real SOB. I hate doing it so bad that I convert my carts to electronic ignitions and lose the points and the timing headaches that come with them. That's just me though. Points work fine when you get them just right.

Do a forum search for timing and you'll get a ton of hits. Generally, though, you should have a "pointer" that looks like a V on the fan shroud. This will be up and to the right from the points. Additionally, you should have two lines on the fan base. The V is fixed whereas the lines rotate with the fan. You should set your points to open when that V is visually positioned between those two lines.

Now, this system is a bit silly as the angle in which you are looking at the V to line it up is different all the the time. Therefore, lining up that V with the lines on the fan base is normally just a starting point. You'll probably need to make some slight adjustments left and right until you get it via trial and error.
Man you're not kidding this setup is a PITA. I have tried several different times to get this adjusted correctly. What is the points gap youre using??? I keep reading on here that its .22, then another thread that showed pic of the manual, since that is not available here which is different from all the rest... and it says that its only .015 to.016??? Info i found was in this thread: http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-h...-torque-2.html
Old 06-24-2015, 03:01 PM   #9
bigredcornhead
Not Yet Wild

I finally get to post pics here is the 1984 Columbia Harley:

Old 06-25-2015, 08:45 AM   #10
bigredcornhead
Not Yet Wild

Im going to keep replying to this thread the more information i find out concerning my issue. This 84 model is kinda a crossover because it is a Harley motor also. Anyway if you happen to have an 84 model...here is the link to the thread that has correct service manual: http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-c...ust-buy-2.html.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson