lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-23-2013, 06:48 PM   #1
WLDCHLD
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Charging problems

I have a 1996 Textron DCS 36 volt EZ GO. Having problems charging. I have new battery's, replaced both receptacles on cart and on charger. If you keep playing (wiggling) the receptacle it will kick on. The receptacle on the cart has 3 wires coming out of it 1-large white, 1-large black, and 1-small white one that has a fuse or something on it. It has been disconnected, could that be the problem, or can you tell me were it should be hooked up to? Thanks
WLDCHLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 07:19 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Charging problems

I believe you are saying the you have replaced both female terminals in the charts charge receptacle and both male terminals in the charger's plug.
If you had replaced the entire receptacle and entire plug, you probably wouldn't be having this problem.

Sounds like the Auxiliary contact in the charger plug isn't making good contact with the outside of the negative radsok (Female terminal) in the cart's receptacle. Auxiliary contact is Item# 36 on attached drawing.

Or it could be an intermittent wire or connection in the plug.

---------
The in-line object that connects the small white wire to the positive radsok is called a reed switch.
Since the other end of the small white wire is no longer connected to anything, the reed switch has been bypassed, which is a common fix for the problems caused by the reed switch.

It was originally connected to a Red/White wire going to the Run.Tow switch, but the Red/White wire is now connected directly or indirectly to the Main Positive post on the battery pack, or the cart wouldn't run.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Charger Plug - opened.JPG (40.8 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 11:18 AM   #3
WLDCHLD
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

JohnnieB, I have replaced both male and female, in charger cord and in cart. The little white wire is connected to one of the positive terminals on a battery. Still having problems to get the charger to start, if you sit and play with it, it will eventually start. It is driving me crazy, a real pain in my SS. Does it matter which battery it is hooked up to? If I hook up the read switch as it should be will that help? I am open for any suggestions, I have tried everything.
WLDCHLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 12:32 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The reed switch and the battery charger not turning on are two entirely separate issues.
They can get confused because they both use the third wire in the plug or receptacle, however the third wire in the receptacle (reed switch circuit) connects to the positive side of the battery pack while the third wire in the charger's plug (battery sensing circuit) connects to the negative side of the battery pack.

1. Reed switch: I suspect the reed switch was bypassed by a previous owner because the reed switch failed. If the solenoid clicks when you push the pedal, it was a successful bypass.

If there is a white wire, or any other color wire connected anywhere within the battery pack other than one of the two main terminals, it is probably for 12V accessories. (Which is a bad idea, a separate 12V or 36V to 12V converter should be used)

Here is a drawing showing the main battery pack terminals label B+ and B-

2. Battery charging: The heavy white wire from the charge receptacle connects to the main positive terminal (B+ on drawing), it may or may not have a 50A or 60A in-line fuse in it. The heavy black wire connects to the main negative terminal (B-).

If you measure the voltage between the two female terminals in the cart's charge receptacle, it should read exactly the same as the voltage between the main + and the main - terminals on the battery pack.

For the charger to turn on, it must sense the battery pack voltage.
The second attachment is a schematic for a Powerewise 28115 charger with the battery sense circuit highlighted.

The positive side of the battery pack (Red highlighted) is sensed via the wire that connects to the positive source inside the charger.
The negative side of the battery pack is sensed via a wire that is separate from the wire that connects to the negative source inside the charger (highlighted in Blue)

The negative side is sensed by the Auxiliary contact in the charge plug touching the negative terminal in the cart's charge receptacle.

Your charger turns on when you wiggle the plug in the receptacle, so the most likely suspect is the Auxiliary contact in the charger's plug, which most likely has not been replaced, cleaned or adjusted.
Old 11-25-2013, 03:38 PM   #5
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Since I think you and I are in agreement on the "value" of the aux contact, is there any good reason to not simply jump that contact on the control board to the negative cable coming from the radsock? Either inside the plug or inside the charger would work.

This is assuming it can't be cleaned or adjusted.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 04:55 PM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
Since I think you and I are in agreement on the "value" of the aux contact, is there any good reason to not simply jump that contact on the control board to the negative cable coming from the radsock? Either inside the plug or inside the charger would work.

This is assuming it can't be cleaned or adjusted.
That will work.

Where are how depends on the specific charger model.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO