lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-07-2019, 09:12 PM   #1
nwocart
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default 99 ds with fe290 front engine dampener

My 99 has never had the front engine dampener on it since I got it. i don't notice a difference but I figured for $10 I could put one on.

But I have a few questions based on a couple things I have read:

1. that I need to pull the motor to install? is this true?

OR 1.a. that you can slot the bottom of it to allow it to slide in place without pulling the motor

and

2. i read that I need some special bracket because with my 6" lift it wont stay in anyways. I have not seen pictures of this, if anybody has any information.

tthanks
nwocart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 10:06 PM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: 99 ds with fe290 front engine dampener

Theres a piece of steel with a 90 degree bend that attaches to the snubber. On my carryall, that piece is held onto the engine cradle with 2 bolts. I used a jack to support the front, and replaced the snubber in about 10 minutes. I have a 6" lift a d its stayed with no issues, I havent gotten around to making that bolt in piece longer to drop the front of the cradle yet.

The older models, the piece the snubber connects to does not unbolt, it's part of the engine cradle. That may prove to be a bit more challenging...
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 06:06 AM   #3
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Depending on how your snubber bracket is orientated now, the mounting bolts are usually above the snubber,
you may be able to just flip it upside down to help keep the snubber on the bracket. (as shown in my first pic in the thread below)
Some members w/4" lifts have tried it, and found that the snubber will "float" rather than rest on the frame like it should!

Adding a plate to the snubber bracket to lower the front of your engine cradle may require more modifications, like to the intake system like mine needed:

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-c...car-gas-2.html

Unfortunately, the B&S intake manifold listed in that thread is no longer available.

Do a search, (2nd tool bar above, ~New Posts ~ Search ~ Quick links ~)
and type in Snubber, there's lots of information there!

lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 12:13 PM   #4
nwocart
Gone Wild
Club Car

So I looked this morning and found out part of my snubber was still on there. perhaps why I hadn't heard the "banging" that everyone says they hear. I may have to take it for a test drive after work to see what it sounds like.

But i have been reading, I'm still not sure I understand where it needs to go. Should it be raised up, so My snubber isn't smashed against the bottom as pictured? or should it be raised up so it touches the top piece?

here is what I think I have figured out: the bracket has to be higher to hold the snubber against that top horizontal piece? i think?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg snubber1.jpg (90.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg snubber2.jpg (56.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg snubber3.jpg (98.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-08-2019, 08:41 PM   #5
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

The snubber should rest just barely touching the frame on the bottom. The upper bracket is there to keep the cradle from torqueing up too high in certain situations, but the snubber should not rest against the upper bracket. It should sit on the frame.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 06:55 AM   #6
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Before I go into step by step instructions of what I think you could do,
I want you to check the carb intake tube to see how close it is to the black electrical components box! (if it's not rubbing already)
Old 07-09-2019, 09:38 AM   #7
nwocart
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
The snubber should rest just barely touching the frame on the bottom. The upper bracket is there to keep the cradle from torqueing up too high in certain situations, but the snubber should not rest against the upper bracket. It should sit on the frame.
Is my bracket supposed to be resting on the frame at the bottom without a snubber? I am guessing I need to jack up the cradle to slide this snubber on by the looks of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockman1 View Post
Before I go into step by step instructions of what I think you could do,
I want you to check the carb intake tube to see how close it is to the black electrical components box! (if it's not rubbing already)
I'll look, I've seen your posts about them hitting. It is not hitting currently, I will get a pic of how close it is.
Old 07-09-2019, 12:39 PM   #8
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

The snubber bracket is not supposed to rest on the frame. It should sit above the frame by maybe 3/8" to 1/2" if I had to guess.
With the lift kit the cradle sits lower and is trying to pull the snubber bracket down. You can replace it the way it is, but it will quickly ruin a new snubber.
Put a jack under the cradle and lift it just enough to unbolt the snubber bracket and remove it. Then lower the cradle down and it will rest naturally where it's supposed to.
You can try flipping the bracket over and re-mounting it, usually that is fine and the snubber will sit in the proper place.

If it sits up too high try elongating the holes in the bracket so it can be adjusted down.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 05:23 PM   #9
nwocart
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
The snubber bracket is not supposed to rest on the frame. It should sit above the frame by maybe 3/8" to 1/2" if I had to guess.
With the lift kit the cradle sits lower and is trying to pull the snubber bracket down. You can replace it the way it is, but it will quickly ruin a new snubber.
Put a jack under the cradle and lift it just enough to unbolt the snubber bracket and remove it. Then lower the cradle down and it will rest naturally where it's supposed to.
You can try flipping the bracket over and re-mounting it, usually that is fine and the snubber will sit in the proper place.

If it sits up too high try elongating the holes in the bracket so it can be adjusted down.

This is exactly what I was wanting to hear. Explanation and a simple how to. I will try this next , I can fab a new snubber bracket if needed to get it in the right spot but I wasn’t sure where the right spot was.

And to lockman- my intake hose is resting against that black box. I guess I’m gonna have to do some modifications ???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-10-2019, 06:19 AM   #10
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Quote:
...You can try flipping the bracket over and re-mounting it, usually that is fine and the snubber will sit in the proper place.
That's what I was thinking, and it's how my cart was set up with the factory 3" Z lift,
but then I added another lift, (total of about 6") and my snubber came off a couple of times,
that's when I added an extension bracket to lower it more, and then I ran into the intake tube problem.

Snubber1.jpg Snubbermount.jpg Intake hose.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwocart View Post
And to lockman- my intake hose is resting against that black box. I guess I’m gonna have to do some modifications ???
I figured that was the case, and that's why I asked about it! So yes, you'll have to do some modifications,
BUT... I'll tell you how I fixed mine with random stuff in the plumbing dept. at a big box store so I could ride it. (Lowes, Home Depot etc.)

1-1/4" rubber P trap cut into pieces, and parts (for a bathroom sink... 1-1/4"... not 1-1/2")
1-1/4" x 6" down tube (attaches to the bottom of the drain strainer in a bathroom sink) cut into a couple of 2" and 3" pieces
and a bunch of hose clamps...

This is the pic that I didn't want to show in the "fix for intake" thread...

002 - Copy (3).JPG

It worked as needed, BUT... the rubber P trap is really flexible, and I tend to run at higher RPM's then most carts should,
and I was worried about the rubber 90's collapsing under the high suction of the carb,
It probably wouldn't collapse under normal conditions, but my cart isn't normal... nor am I!

Hope this helps!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car