lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-01-2022, 05:11 PM   #11
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 2004 CC DS IQ Speed Increase

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkbuckeye View Post
Quick update. Went to check SG on the battery cells and realized I had overfilled them a couple weeks ago. I removed the excess to the proper levels and drove it a few miles. Charged overnight then checked levels this morning after unplugging. I got 1275 or more on each cell consistently with 3 cells on 3 different batteries around 1260-1265 range. Drove it with voltmeter on. Speed is now 20 on flat. 52V reading after charge. Drops to 47.3 wide open sustained. I haven’t checked MCOR resistance because I don’t have a controller or jacks to elevate the rear to monitor while engaging throttle live. I’m guessing my OBC and or my charger aren’t letting the batteries reach full capacity. I have a Thunderbull 48vdc charger. I’m thinking I could upgrade to a Lester Summit II charger and mount it onboard bypassing the OBC. I take this cart to the Keys in winter for 3 months with my 5th wheel and I can’t garage it. I also take it several times a year to Trap shooting tourneys and it’s outside and charging outside. The Summit is a sealed unit and seems better for these uses. Thoughts? If that doesn’t work I’m thinking of an entire motor/controller pkg upgrade down the line. Then go to lithium when these batteries are shot. I feel like I should get 22-23 currently with a full charge
The specific gravity indicates the batteries are not at ideal condition. The voltages are not too bad however. Over filling and removing electrolyte can dilute the acid concentration, but again maybe not too badly.

I don't know which smart charger would be your best bet but a waterproof on-board smart charger may make all the difference in the world for you.

Just make plans to either go lithium or a new pack in the next year or two.
Tom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-01-2022, 05:25 PM   #12
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Just to throw it out there, battery acid is cheap. You can get enough to fill your entire pack of batteries for about 15 bucks, and then have plenty more left over. Think last 5 liter box I bought was 13 bucks plus tax at oreillys.

Might not hurt to drain the acid out of them and refill with fresh acid. May help your SG readings and won’t hurt your wallet.

If that doesn’t work then I agree with Tom you’ll be needing batteries before long. Wouldn’t recommend spending money on another charger if you plan to convert to lithium.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 11:22 AM   #13
dkbuckeye
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks Tom and CP. I may try to “recondition” them as suggested and see if that helps. The Lester Summit chargers are programmable, so I could simply reprogram to lithium when I upgrade. I don’t believe I’ll stick with wet cell or AGM when i replace.
dkbuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 09:28 PM   #14
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

Be very careful assuming the Lester will work with Lithium (while I agree my pack is a bit different, and was initially told by Lester that it would work, it would not (I did not even try it). Lester would not allow me to return it either). Just clarify that it will work with whatever pack setup you do before hooking it up
simicrintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 09:44 PM   #15
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

If you go lithium in the future, get the charger that the battery manufacturer recommends. Just use what you have for now.
Tom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 09:57 PM   #16
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom47 View Post

If you go lithium in the future, get the charger that the battery manufacturer recommends. Just use what you have for now.

Well put
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car