lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-22-2014, 01:26 PM   #1
benjamin
Not Yet Wild

Default Battery light flashing

Hello out there,
Just replaced the batteries in my 2003 club cart. 6, 8volt batteries. Now my battery light comes on for 20 seconds, off for 5 seconds, on for 5 seconds then repeats the sequence. It doesn't do this when i am driving the cart. Also, the carger does not seem to power up when I plug it in to the cart. (charger clicks but the needle on the meter does not move).

Also I ran the sequence to reboot the OBC, that did not change the light flashing or get the charger working.

Thanks!
benjamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-22-2014, 02:03 PM   #2
55BigBlock
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Battery light flashing

Hello Benjamin, Did you reconnect the smaller red wire to the positive side of the battery pack? I have read a post or two where people failed to install that wire after a battery change.

55BigBlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 02:31 PM   #3
benjamin
Not Yet Wild

Yes sir.
Old 05-22-2014, 02:35 PM   #4
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

If the relay clicks but no current, you are missing the connection from the charger socket to the pack negative.
Check the fuse on the charger socket negative wire to make sure is good.
Otherwise it could be the OBC....
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 06:43 AM   #5
benjamin
Not Yet Wild

The fuse on the charger socket negative wire is good. Any ideas how to check to see if the OBC is not working properly?
Old 05-23-2014, 08:22 AM   #6
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

We are going under the assumption the charger itself is working, do You actually hear a hum from the charger once the relay clicks?

Since the relay is clicking, we know the positive connection from the charger socket to the batteries is good and that the relay activation circuit of the OBC is working.

You can do a quick test by setting your DVM to 200v (DC) and measuring the voltage at the charger socket terminals + and -. You should get more than 40v.

If you do, the charger is not working, check breaker and fuses in the charger.

If there is no voltage, run the black wire from the back of the charger socket straight to the pack negative, that will by-pass the SCR in the OBC that controls the charging current. If it works with the by-pass, the OBC is bad.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 03:13 PM   #7
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Sergio nailed it.... Also make sure you've got power coming in from the wall outlet. A charger will click even if it's not getting any AC power.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 04:35 PM   #8
jjance
Gone Wild

Club Car

I think that I can safely assume that you make a mistake installing the batteries. Since you double checked the wiring my SWA guess is that one or more of the batteries are in backwards.
jjance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 12:03 PM   #9
benjamin
Not Yet Wild

When I plug the charger in I don't hear the charger "humm", just a click then nothing. The batteries are new so maybe they are charged enough? Also when I checked the voltage as suggested in the previous post I get 0volts on the positive and negative charger plug prongs. Does this mean my charger is ok?

I don't quite understand the bypass scr sequence Sergo. Black wire from back of charger strait into battery pack negative? I will try that.

Also I rechecked the wiring sequence and it seems correct.

Thanks for your suggestions, still trying to figure this out.
Benjamin
Old 05-24-2014, 12:37 PM   #10
benjamin
Not Yet Wild

Just took the black wire from the back of the battery charge pack directly on to the negatIve battery post. The light still flashed its sequence.

Also there is power to the charger.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car