lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-08-2013, 11:15 PM   #1
CartTrader
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Speed magnet GE motor

Decided to start a new thread on this. Got my speed magnet for my GE motor today. Tomorrow I am going to "try" to install. Has anyone installed the speed magnet on the GE motor on a CC? If so what was your experience in doing it? Just how difficult is it to pry the old magnet off? I will try to document my changing of the magnet. Depends on how frustrated I get getting it off. Will try to take pics as I go.

CartTrader
CartTrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-09-2013, 07:28 AM   #2
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Speed magnet GE motor

. . . how hard can it be? . . . eBay listing says "very simple to install takes about 15 minutes" . . . they never lie . . .

seriously though, my neighbor that rebuilds carts for a living told me it is not that difficult to remove old one . . . good luck . .
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:41 PM   #3
CartTrader
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevegrmich View Post
. . . how hard can it be? . . . eBay listing says "very simple to install takes about 15 minutes" . . . they never lie . . .

seriously though, my neighbor that rebuilds carts for a living told me it is not that difficult to remove old one . . . good luck . .
Just a BIT more than 15 minutes for me. More like 3 hours!! BUT I take my time and had to find the proper tool to get the old magnet off. I used a paint can opener that has a small bend on the end to get it off. Screwdrivers just wouldn't do it.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:23 AM   #4
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by CartTrader View Post
Just a BIT more than 15 minutes for me. More like 3 hours!! BUT I take my time and had to find the proper tool to get the old magnet off. I used a paint can opener that has a small bend on the end to get it off. Screwdrivers just wouldn't do it.
. . . ok, now what were the results? . . . worth the $40? . . .
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:33 PM   #5
CartTrader
Gone Wild

Club Car

Results...Before...Maxspeed gps, flat gound, 17.4MPH...After 19.1MPH , With windshield up!! Going to try today with windshield down and a fresh charge....Before....slight downhill...Max...17.4MPH... Speed sensor would kick in even though I supposedly had speed code 4....After 24.5MPH Max....It was still climbing when I ran out of straight road and had to slow down. Only have about a 400ft stretch of straight road /slight down hill. Worth $40 ? To me yes. I hated hitting that area where the speed sensor kicked in and wouldn't let it go any faster, You could feel it like someone slightly hitting the brakes or letting off the accelerator. All of these tests were done with windshield up and batteries that had a mile or 2 on them after charging the day before. also was done with lights on as it was after dark ( don't what kind of drain the lights take) Battery meter read 50.4v standing still and read 46.6v under full power. Would go back up to 50.1 or 50.2 when I let off the pedal. Batteries are 2.5 yrs old. And are cheap PowerTrons I think. Not out there to look at them. I know my 5.5 yr old Trojans on my other cart will charge up and hold a 51.4v charge and only drop to 48.2v under full power. So Trojans are definately a better battery. The PowerTrons were in the cart when I bought it, so I will stick with them for now. I have driven over 10 miles with them and meter still read 49.4v when I stopped, so they aren`t all that bad.

CartTrader
Old 06-12-2014, 09:11 PM   #6
brivy1900
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Where exactly on the magnet do you pry? I dont want to break it. Do you pry around the very outer edge?
brivy1900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 09:16 PM   #7
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

You have to take the motor apart to get the magnet out of a ge motor.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 09:19 PM   #8
brivy1900
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgolf View Post
You have to take the motor apart to get the magnet out of a ge motor.
Whoa, I was told by numerous people it pops out. OUCH
Old 06-12-2014, 09:35 PM   #9
CartTrader
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by brivy1900 View Post
Whoa, I was told by numerous people it pops out. OUCH
Believe me it will not just pop out of the GE motors!! But NO you do NOT have to take the motor apart to change the magnet!! Not sure where this originally came from.. I had heard someone say that too, but you can get the magnet out with out dissasembly of motor or removing it from cart!

CartTrader
Old 06-13-2014, 05:40 PM   #10
brivy1900
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Believe me it will not just pop out of the GE motors!! But NO you do NOT have to take the motor apart to change the magnet!! Not sure where this originally came from.. I had heard someone say that too, but you can get the magnet out with out dissasembly of motor or removing it from cart!

CartTrader

How did you get it out? Any videos anywhere with a tutorial? I noticed mine has a tiny chip at the edge and not sure if that would ruin it. Im wondering if I just replace the sensor if it will work with a magnet having a tiny chip. I can post a pic, but not sure how through my mobile app.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car