lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-29-2008, 11:48 AM   #1
patty55
Not Yet Wild

Default Problem with charging?

When I charge up my cart the charger registers that it is charged but the low battery light on the cart is blinking. When I push the button on the charger the needle shoots back up to make it appear that is charging but later when I come back the cart light is blinking again.

The cart runs fine, this happened a few times a few months ago and when I pushed the button it went back to charging normally.

I read another thread that sounded similar and they said it was a diode problem, is this expensive to fix?
patty55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-29-2008, 12:43 PM   #2
rusty
Golf Cart Photographer

Club Car

Default Re: Problem with charging?

Welcome to the forum patty55.....................

We need more information please.

The cart is a Club Car brand?
What year is the cart?
36 volt or 48 volt?
Have your batteries been maintained well?
Are the batteries full of water? (just above the plates)
Are all of the cables tight and have been cleaned?
What kind of charger do you have?
Did it all happen at once or gradually?

The charger with a button to push to start it, sounds like an oddball charger.
Could you be pushing the reset breaker on the charger?

Theres plenty of help here, we just need the above indormation.
rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 01:53 PM   #3
patty55
Not Yet Wild

This is a 2001 48v Club Car, the charger says Club car on it, the thing that I am referring to as a "button" is probably the reset switch. The batteries have water.

When I plug the cart in to charge it all the normal things happen, then when I go to check it later the low battery indicator light on the cart is blinking and the reset switch has to be reset.

I spoke to two local repairmen today. The first one said it was the relay switch and would be about $25 to fix. The second one said it was the diodes and would be about $90 (including a $49 service charge).

This happened a few times a few months ago, but when I hit the reset it worked.

I just don't want to get ripped off, I'm not looking to fix this myself, I just don't want somebody taking advantage of my lack of knowledge.
Old 07-29-2008, 06:05 PM   #4
rusty
Golf Cart Photographer

Club Car

I sure understand that!

The information you typed in is good, so now, it leads us to the next questions.

When you plug your charger in to the cart, where does the needle on the meter go to on the charger? 20, 30? Or slammed to the right as far as it can go and off of the scale?

Now the really important question.
How long does the charger, charge the batteries. It should charge for several hours before turning off.

Does it always pop the reset button?

Does it pop the reset soon after the charger has been plugged into the cart?
Old 07-29-2008, 06:11 PM   #5
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

how old are batteries? can you take voltage readings after a full charge let it sit 1/2 hour than take voltage reading off each battery and than the whole pack when done post those #,s we,ll be able to help more with that info added to the above info.............................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 07:07 PM   #6
patty55
Not Yet Wild

Voltage Meter? I haven't even got a screwdriver-LOL

When I plug it in....I first plug in to the cart and hear a click a few seconds later, then when I plug the charger into the outlet the needle swings all the way to the right holds there for a few seconds, goes to the left and then right again. From there it gradually moves to the left as it charges.

This past time it was charging about an hour before it needed to be reset, the meter showed a bit to the right of center.

I don't know how old the batteries are, I bought this thing used in February and was told they were about a year old.
Old 07-29-2008, 07:25 PM   #7
rusty
Golf Cart Photographer

Club Car

Ok........ You've either got a bad battery or a damaged charger.

We're gonna hafta have a voltage reading from each battery and total voltage reading from the charger recepticle on the cart.
Old 07-29-2008, 07:37 PM   #8
patty55
Not Yet Wild

Okay, I guess I'll call one of those two repairmen in.

As long as I have your attention let me just take a few minutes to run past you all the advice these people have given me.....

1-Whenever I'm not using the cart I should keep it plugged in?

2-I shouldn't keep it plugged in all the time, just long enough to charge it?

3-The charger should not be on the floor?

4-This thing doesn't overcharge and go on fire?

It seems that everyone gives me a different story around here and it's making me mental.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:02 PM   #9
rusty
Golf Cart Photographer

Club Car

1-Whenever I'm not using the cart I should keep it plugged in?
You plug it in everytime you use it and you'll wear out the batteries.
Just plug it in a night while you sleep. Most everybody else does. Golf Courses do.

2-I shouldn't keep it plugged in all the time, just long enough to charge it?
Once the charger stops the charge process, over night, It's not going to hurt a thing. However, if your home is in a high prone area for lightning strikes, unplug it when not in use to save the charger.

3-The charger should not be on the floor?
False, unless your floor gets measurable water in it.

4-This thing doesn't overcharge and go on fire?
Never heard of it yet.

It seems that everyone gives me a different story around here and it's making me mental.

Sit back and observe the folks who are free with advice. You'll be able to spot the folks here who work on customer cars regularly. They have the knowlege. The folks who have mastered their 1st cart are simply not as knowelegeable, generaly.
Old 07-29-2008, 11:37 PM   #10
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

i,d be careful calling someone....you can buy a volt meter for under 20 dollars.....can you try your charger on another cart to see if it works proper..........when you plug it in it should take 10 seconds or so and needle will move and a few seconds later it will drop back like it shut off than in about 10 seconds it should move back over to about 20 amps and start the charging process...........its very easy to use a volt meter so i would buy one and learn.,...anyone who has an electric cart should own one its a tool you,ll use much more than anything else and can tell you tons about whats going on..............you need to be careful with who you call get references if you can from their customers ....i see more people get ripped that way and its a shame that they can take a 30 dollar problem and turn it into a 400 doller repair and if you don,t know well......................we can help and chances are hehp you fix it but we need more info..............try your charger on another cart if you can than we might be able to eliminate that as a problem and right now i don,t think its your charger......................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car