lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-09-2008, 11:00 AM   #1
Jessi
Not Yet Wild

Question 1991 gas club car ignition/kill problems

Hello, I'm still struggling with our old club car--it won't start without a jump and won't kill until the sparkplug wire is pulled. I think it could be a problem with the accelerator starter limit switch and the accelerator kill limit switch, but I don't know. Can't I just by pass all the fancy accelerator start stuff and wire in a bump switch direct?
Jessi is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-09-2008, 03:38 PM   #2
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Default Re: 1991 gas club car ignition/kill problems

have you tried replacing the micro switches in the black box? if your having to jump it to start than its either a bad battery or bad voltage regulator.......but the not shutting off could be as simple as a bad micro switch...................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 07:44 PM   #3
Jessi
Not Yet Wild

Those pesky switches....we wondered if that wouldn't be it. I am going to check prices for them and start there I guess.. all the parts for these things are kinda high, I'm use to Chevy-cheap parts. Thanks for your reply, like I said in my intro, I know NOTHING about golf carts, and this site has been SO helpful! Thanks again!
Jessi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 03:27 PM   #4
namvet68
Not Yet Wild

1990 club car just simply died, ignition switch doesn't move fuel/electrical gauges or starter!! horn/ buzzer, headights all work! replaced all fuses under dash, but no change, can't seem to find spark to switch. anybody have an idea?? thanks
namvet68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 06:58 PM   #5
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

The fuse for the key switch in in the control box under the seat, not in the dash - but if by buzzer you mean the reverse warning buzzer, that should be on the same fuse.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 09:51 AM   #6
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

The reverse buzzer on the old carts had no fuse. Power for that comes straight from the solenoid B+ post. It would be a good idea to add a fuse to that, because if that wire ever gets pinched or shorted to the frame the wire will fry and can burn the cart down with it.

Your key switch gets power from a fuse in the electrical box under the seat. Check the fuse and the connections at the solenoid.

It's possible the key switch has finally bit the dust just from age. If the fuse checks out OK, check for 12v reaching the key switch. If you have 12V going in, but none coming out the switch is bad.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 03:15 PM   #7
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Maybe it got bumped into maintenance mode by accident (cam slipped off the switch lever)? Check that little yellow cam on the backside of the shifter. One of the cam "bumps" has to push that microswitch lever in, in order for the cart to run.
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 09:51 PM   #8
namvet68
Not Yet Wild

thank you, i'll look for it, also, brake lights go off when I turn on turn signal, thanks
namvet68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 08:34 AM   #9
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by namvet68 View Post
thank you, i'll look for it, also, brake lights go off when I turn on turn signal, thanks
Club Cars that old didn't come stock with turn signals, so it's anyone's guess how they are wired.
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car