lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center
Design Center Shop tools, fabrication and Paint and Body

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-07-2011, 04:46 PM   #1
turnagainhardcore
Gone Wild

Default Home Built Flip Flop Rear seat….

Has anyone made their own flip flop rear seat?
The situation is this. The previous owner of my new G9 took it upon himself to make his own rear seat for the cart, looks great and all but one thing that I noticed when sitting back there is that he put the seat bottom back too far and it feels like you’re sitting on the last 4’’ of seat bottom with the other 4-6’’ just wasted as the seat back gets in the way from sitting on it..
So I was looking at it on the weekend wanting to change it and I started to think… well why not make a flip flop rear seat while I’m at it!

My Idea is as simple one - make a ‘‘deck’’ out of either plywood or something similar (would like suggestions on options here) that is cut into the two required pieces; one for the seat bottom the other to be the second half of the “deck” ,add two hinges, make it “flip” out & rest on to some angle iron like the bought ones do.. bing bada boom you got yourself a flop flip….

Is it really that simple? What material should I be using to make the main part of my deck out of I can see plywood getting weak over time as I plan to use this old girl on the trails, in the mud… just get her dirty…
turnagainhardcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-07-2011, 07:16 PM   #2
blake80
REAL MEN GET EM DIRTY

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Home Built Flip Flop Rear seat….

i dont know how well i can explain this. but this is how the rear seat on my dads club car is.
the seat bottom in mounted to a square frame with about 2in of over hang for pivot bolts. there is the same thing but a little smaller on the bottom. the top one for the seat bottom is upside down so it goes over the bottom flip. if i can get by there this weekend ill take pics of it and post it. needless to say, the top and bottom kind of interlock with each other. only 1 bolt is used on each side since the 2 pieces interlock with each other.

if this make no sense, kick me.
blake80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 04:45 PM   #3
Xtreme Cartz
The Fabricator

Lots and lots of thought, measuring, preplanning, sweating, test fitting and more measuring. That's how you make a flip flop seat. Depending on how you design the flip seat, the flat bed base frame will have to be thicker than the section that flips to compensate for the pivot point. That's if you design the flip frame to pivot on a bolt that goes into each side of the base frame. If you use a piano hinge with some HDPE than its less work but more flimsy. Wood for a homemade seat may suffice. Post pics if you do it!
Xtreme Cartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 06:05 AM   #4
rifter
rifter

E-Z-GO

I look at everything this way,,If someone else built it, I can too. Look at pictures of any "factory" built flip seat and go from there.
rifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center