lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-23-2009, 10:20 AM   #1
Back Marker
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default LED headlights

i did a search for any LED posts and didn't find one. so i guess i'll start here.

the current lights on it are fairly week. but i guess this is a good thing so it doesn't strain the batteries. there is no voltage reducer so most likely it's directly connected to a few batteries. a quick meter reads a little over 7 volts on one headlight. i didn't meter the markers and tail lights yet.

i'm gona try to use LED's for the lighting system. so far, i just ordered a pair of 3157 LED bulbs from amazon. 12v 31 led's.

i haven't done all the math yet to see what the drain will be once all the lights are replaced with LED's.

has anyone already done this project?

-a|ex

2005 g22e limo
48v dealer installed lighting.
Back Marker is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-23-2009, 04:12 PM   #2
trkbilder
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: LED headlights

If you need LED blubs, do a google for Super Brite leds.com. That is their web site,I think. They have all the stuff you might need and there are some conversion charts there somewhere. I have LEDs "only" on my cart and they work fine. No wait a minute, the headlights are not LEDs. I just haven't got around to them yet. Do I smell a winter project???
trkbilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 02:08 PM   #3
dougmcp
Gone Wild

I doubt that you will get enough lumens of light to make those bulbs effective at night.
IMO the regular resistive lights are not a problem on an electric cart. 2 headlights and 2 tail lights draw something in the neighborhood of 110 watts. The motor on the other hand can draw up to 5000 watts which is nearly 50 times as much. With all those batteries, the draw from the lights is inconsequential.
Personally, I would upgrade the headlights to a decent bulb and call it good.
If you really want LED's for the WOW factor or just to be different check here: http://www.magnalight.com/pc-1626-14...-36-volts.aspx

dougmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 02:57 PM   #4
trkbilder
Gone Wild

Yamaha

WOW!! The price for those suckers would stop me in my tracks!!
trkbilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 03:42 PM   #5
dougmcp
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by trkbilder View Post
WOW!! The price for those suckers would stop me in my tracks!!
Exactly the reason you would want to stay with incandescent bulbs.
I have seen lights similar to those around $100 each but still way to rich for my blood.
I currently have 55w halogens in my cart which are as bright as my car and at less than $10, I'm sticking with those.
Old 09-28-2009, 02:27 PM   #6
Back Marker
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

it was a fail...
not enough light output.
even at 16-17v, still not enough light.

would HID be an overkill?

-a|ex
Back Marker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 02:46 PM   #7
dougmcp
Gone Wild

HID's have an uncanny way of failing if the voltage isn't perfect. If you have any kind of voltage sag, they will go out and not come back on until you power them down and back up again.
What size/number is the current bulb you're working with?
Old 12-23-2009, 08:38 PM   #8
N2STRIPER
Not Yet Wild

I CAN TELL YOU THAT WHELEN,TRUCKLITE,AND GROTE MAKE SOME AWESOME LED WHITE LIGHT TECHNOLOGY!! I HAVE A PAIR OF THE GROTE MINI TRILLIANTS ON MY PRECEDENT. I GET COMMENTS ALL THE TIME ON THESE POWERFUL UNITS!!

http://grote.com/product.php?product_number=63601

http://grote.com/product.php?product_number=63571

http://www.whelen.com/_AUTOMOTIVE/de...74&prod_id=447

http://www.whelen.com/_AUTOMOTIVE/de...74&prod_id=442

THE ABOVE LIGHT RANGE FROM $80.00 TO $1000.00!!!
I WORK FOR A WD AND WE HAVE CONTRACTS WITH CITIES ON LIGHTING IN VIRGINIA. BE CAREFUL OF NO NAME OFFSHORE JUNK.ITS EVERYWHERE!!!
N2STRIPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 10:33 PM   #9
MIKEPEER
Gone Wild

i'm getting ready to put some maxxima white led work lights on my cart this spring when it warms up. we've been selling them for a few months now and they are being used from interior lights on trailer to guys putting them on the back of a truck when they are spreading salt. the best part is that they can be had for under $60 easy and have a 5 year warr. we've been a dist for them for a few years now and have had pretty good luck with their lights.

http://www.maxxima.com/products/24/Work+Lights.html#
MIKEPEER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 08:51 AM   #10
N2STRIPER
Not Yet Wild

I Tried A Pair Of The Maxima Led Boat Trailer Lights. They Didnt Even Last As Long As The Incadesent Wesbars That Came On The Trailer.
N2STRIPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha