lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-18-2017, 01:12 PM   #1
dfosterh
Not Yet Wild

Default Smart/float charger recommendations

I just got brand new batteries and think I want to replace my old PowerDrive (1 I think) and OBC with one of the smart chargers. Looking for a little guidance on some of the models I see out there.

First of all, my PowerDrive looks about as solid state as the Apollo 13. There's a coil, a couple diodes, the ammeter, and a relay. I'd have to think that even the most sophisticated OBC would not be able to get this thing to float charge correctly. Am I wrong on that?

So looking at models and their sophisticated battery charging and maintenance curves and graphs and wondering if they're worth it, and which one to buy.

First off, is there any hard data about how much they prolong battery life over an antiquated system like I have?

And finally, which one? I see DPI mentioned a lot in this forum. I've also seen Eagle touted as the very best of the best. And Schauer has one that looks comparable as well. For the price, Eagle better give me turbo boost and 10-year battery life.

Mind sharing your well-educated opinions?
dfosterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-18-2017, 02:22 PM   #2
whit71
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Smart/float charger recommendations

"First of all, my PowerDrive looks about as solid state as the Apollo 13. There's a coil, a couple diodes, the ammeter, and a relay. I'd have to think that even the most sophisticated OBC would not be able to get this thing to float charge correctly. Am I wrong on that?"

The powerdrive does not have a Float charge, but it will come on every 15 days to recharge, if left plugged in.

I have a DPI with the OBC bypassed, and love it.
whit71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 03:38 PM   #3
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

I have a DPI and bypassed the OBC when my Trojan 875 were new 2 yrs ago. So far so good works great and I have only added very little water in that time.
Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 12:23 AM   #4
Anthonyc
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I was thinking the same thing. I just bought a new set of batteries and only have the old powerdrive charger.

Will it maintain the batteries well?

Obviously there is some physical maintenance needed as well.

This is my first cart and I got a "deal" on it because the old batteries were toast in the cart.

How important are the other features that the other chargers perform?

Will they give the battery pack more years of service or is the difference between the old and new tech not that big a factor?

I've been reading the battery posts and I'm not quite certain the charger is the biggest problem for battery maintenance.
Anthonyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 01:08 PM   #5
whit71
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthonyc View Post
I was thinking the same thing. I just bought a new set of batteries and only have the old powerdrive charger.

Will it maintain the batteries well?

Obviously there is some physical maintenance needed as well.

This is my first cart and I got a "deal" on it because the old batteries were toast in the cart.

How important are the other features that the other chargers perform?

Will they give the battery pack more years of service or is the difference between the old and new tech not that big a factor?

I've been reading the battery posts and I'm not quite certain the charger is the biggest problem for battery maintenance.
It really depends on how often you use your cart, If you use it ever day, or every other day I don't think there would be an advantage to a smart charger with the float feature. But if your cart sits for extended periods of time without use, or is at a campground/vacation home, the smart chargers are a lot better and will extend the life of your batteries. Just my opinion.
whit71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 01:43 PM   #6
Nsane
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swan View Post
I have a DPI and bypassed the OBC when my Trojan 875 were new 2 yrs ago. So far so good works great and I have only added very little water in that time.
Same here, DPI work well!
Nsane is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car