lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-07-2015, 07:24 AM   #21
gray horse
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Hello! Looking at a G1 tonight

Nice looking cart and not a bad price. G1's are great carts with a lot of possibilities.
gray horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-07-2015, 09:20 AM   #22
smokindawg
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runningrough View Post
I do have a MIG welder and have done some fab work but am definately not near a professional level or anything.
There are a lot of people here doing some great fab work and building lifts and such with no where near professional welding skills. Myself being one of them. So, don't let that stop you. It doesn't always have to look pretty to be very functional and safe.

Go for it and make sure to do lots of searching and looking for good ideas. There really is no way that is wrong, just some that work better than others.

What type mig welder do you have?

I use a 220 volt Hobart and have found with prep work to the metal that I can make and weld just about anything. It also helps if you have a good way too cut metal as well. I have a torch but also have a nice plasma cutter that I use a lot more often. I mostly use the torch for heating and bending metal.

I do like my G1 but have had to make a lot of changes to it to make it the way I like. While it's a nice set up being able to open the entire engine compartment by raising the entire rear cover I find that for a top (Unless you have the factory one) it's a lot of work to make it work.

So my most recent change is cutting the rear in half adding a bed on the back and having it fold back while the front opens forward like the G2.

Good luck with your build and I as well as many others look forward to what you come up with.
smokindawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 07:23 AM   #23
Runningrough
Not Yet Wild

I have a Hobart 140 and I love it! Its only a 110V, but I have a dedicated outlet for it where I ran 10 gauge wire from a 30 amp breaker....so it is never competing with anything else for juice and an ample supply is provided...Its the only way I have ever run this welder. I don't know if it makes a difference or not performance wise, but it must help!

I have a lot of research to do, but right now I am starting to lean towards Jake's 6" lift. It looks so clean and people seem to be happy with the product. I still have a lot of reading to do though.

Field6565, thank you for the help on the model year ID. Really helpful!

I love this golf cart, my kids have been going in slow circles around the house and along a small trail behind my house all weekend. I hope to be getting into some upgrades next month. I can't wait, so many options, it is kind of overwhelming.

Thanks for all the help everyone!
Runningrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 01:39 PM   #24
beerman52
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Cool Re: Hello! Looking at a G1 tonight

Sounds to me like you had better go find another cart just for you and the miss's.. You'll never get the kids off of that one once you have it the way you want it.
beerman52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 03:08 PM   #25
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Field6565 View Post
Cart appears to be an 83 or 84. You can tell because 79 to 84 used the older aluminum clutch. 85 to 89 had the bigger gold one. Also has the newer selenoids. I think 79 80 81 were bigger.
I don't recall them having the G2/9 gold cover clutch up to 89 and certainly not before 87. The gold cover clutch was offered by yamaha as a replacement and that is how it got put on many G1.

Make sure you also replace the pulse line and check for any intake leaks, though idle typically suffers from intake leaks. Nice looking cart for 600, I tried to by one at auction not that nice and it went for 850! Woman was crazy but she owns it now. Later found hers broke down so she was going to buy it no matter. Then she asked me to fix it through a friend, really, how nice.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 04:05 PM   #26
Field6565
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho305 View Post
I don't recall them having the G2/9 gold cover clutch up to 89 and certainly not before 87. The gold cover clutch was offered by yamaha as a replacement and that is how it got put on many G1 :
Sho, isn't this the primary clutch used between 85 and 89?
Attached Images
File Type: gif j38110-5191.gif (13.4 KB, 0 views)
Field6565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 08:47 PM   #27
2HawkFans
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

On mine the serial # was stamped on the frame behnd one of the wheels (facing the rear bumper). In addition it is also on the engine. Look at the aluminum (flywheel end) near the air cleaner. It should be stamped there also.
2HawkFans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 10:00 PM   #28
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Field6565 View Post
Sho, isn't this the primary clutch used between 85 and 89?
In 89 or so I stopped working on 60 G1 from 0-6 years old, I never saw a gold clutch on them, never saw one until I saw a G2/9 4 stroke cart years later. Can't say I looked at the clutch on every cart but seems like I would have noticed.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 09:38 AM   #29
Runningrough
Not Yet Wild

Hey Guys,
Thanks again for all the comments! Really appreciate it. This is a really good crowd at BGW.

I have been waiting to post until I took a picture of the the cart with the lights I just put on it. But I keep forgetting to take pictures, I will try to remember tonight.

These are the lights, I purchased through Amazon:

Auxbeam™ 2Pcs 4" 18W CREE LED Light Bar Flood beam 60 degree waterproof for Off-road Truck Car ATV SUV Jeep Boat 4WD ATV Auxiliary Driving Lamp

A link wasn't working. These lights are only $20 and they are fantastic!

I had taken the carb and fuel pump off and cleaned them up. Cart was running great, then started stalling again. I went on Amazon and ordered a $8.00 Briggs & Stratton fuel pump and the cart loved it. She runs really nice! For $8.00 I don't expect it to last forever, but I plan on ordering a rebuild kit for the one that failed anyway. Not sure what type it is, but it is metal and has some weight to it, so I think it will be the one to use once rebuilt.

In about a month or so I plan on getting into the upgrades, until then the kids can tool around on it the way it is. The wife and I took it for a ride down some nice trails the other night. Those lights light the woods right up! I had no idea what I have been missing with these golf carts! I'm already hooked!

I'll get a couple pictures of it with the lights on tonight, incase anyone is interested in those lights.
Runningrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 12:18 AM   #30
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Mikuni fuel pump i think.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha