Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Restoration
Restoration Early 70's and older restoration projects

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-22-2024, 06:11 PM   #1
vintagecartguy
Not Yet Wild

Default 1977 Marketeer Nordskog 139b - Towing Capacity

Hey guys,

New to this forum and also to golf carts in general. I'm a mechanical engineer by trade so I can find my way around but by no means an expert.

I recently converted an old 1977 Marketeer Nordskog 139b into a coffee cart for a coffee event I run. It is a 36v lead acid cart with v-glide. To streamline operations, I decided to also get a small 4x5ft trailer to tow equipment (with the golf cart) about 0.5 miles from my storage unit to the event itself.

I knew this had risks, but I decided it was worth it. Towing was actually going great for a few events, but I loaded it up extra heavy on the most recent event (probably about 400 lbs including the trailer) and when I stopped at a stop sign and pressed the gas I heard sparks and the cart would not start. My friend said he saw sparks coming from under the cart near the motor itself (not the batteries).

I proceeded to detach the trailer and the cart ran fine. We then took some of the heavy parts off the trailer and was able to tow it back to our storage unit.

I have a few questions:

1. Am I an idiot trying to tow with this? It was originally a utility truck so I figured it was built for heavier loads.
2. What do you think was causing the sparks?

Many thanks for your replies. Pictures of original and restored cart attached for your reference.

- George
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RestoredCart.jpg (202.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg OriginalCart.jpg (8.7 KB, 0 views)
vintagecartguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-23-2024, 04:25 PM   #2
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Default Re: 1977 Marketeer Nordskog 139b - Towing Capacity

A 36v cart should be able to tow 400 pounds no problem at all. My "new" cart is a 2003 48v Club Car and I tow every broken down cart in the campground with it...and it's a lot more than 1/2 mile too.

I am assuming that you have a resistor bank in there somewhere for speed control and, more often than not, those get mounted by the motor. Did you check the resistors for any breaks?
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Restoration