lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-16-2018, 01:44 PM   #11
oncearacer52
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Club Car Choke

It's a 90 DS. There appears to be to much leakage on the inlet. There is an o-ring and it appears to be in fair shape. When I pull the cone out and cover the opening with my hand it seems to be sealing sufficiently for the choke to work but, when I put in the cone and push the button in it has to much leakage for the choke to work. I do appreciate the help and am grateful for the people and this site for all the help.

Last edited by oncearacer52; 12-16-2018 at 01:45 PM.. Reason: Add to.
oncearacer52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-16-2018, 07:46 PM   #12
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

The button doesn’t totally seal the opening. There are smaller holes that are still open for some air to get through, just not nearly as much.

You should hear air hissing through those holes as the engine is cranking.

You may need to move on to the carb. Make sure the main and pilot jets are clean, and make sure the idle and off idle fuel passages in the carb body are clean. They’re tiny, but they will make a difference in starting if they’re clogged.
The main fuel mixture screw can usually not be removed, but try working it back and forth through its full 1/3 of a turn range and blast through the port with carb cleaner compressed air and that will usually get the needle and the passages clean enough. I have had to grind the notch off of the adjustment screw so it could be totally removed to clean the passages. If you do that, make sure to turn the screw IN first and count how many turns it until it just seats. Do not apply pressure once the screw has seated or the needle and passage will be deformed and may not work properly after that.

Follow the service manual and make sure the throttle linkage is adjusted properly. If the throttle butterfly is opening too soon when you push the pedal it can cause hard starting.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 08:06 AM   #13
oncearacer52
Gone Wild
Club Car

Thanks for the help. I will work my way thru these things until hopefully it starts working.
Old 12-19-2018, 07:25 AM   #14
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Take the air box off and inspect it if you haven't (it's the part with "Club Car" text molded onto the top). The air box on my '87 (same as a '90) had a hole melted through it on the bottom side from someone (my father-in-law) taking it off and resting it on the hot exhaust pipe. I filled the hole with silicone and it's held for over 5 years now.

I imagine mine isn't the only one to have this issue. Once you separate that air box from the choke button and the accordion tube, it's natural to want to rest it on that exhaust pipe in order access the battery.
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 07:30 AM   #15
oncearacer52
Gone Wild
Club Car

I have the air box off and it looks fine. I am starting to suspect that the filter door may not have been seated at all three points on the bottom of the box. I will put it back together and try again.
Old 02-25-2021, 01:08 PM   #16
SpartanDS
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
The button doesn’t totally seal the opening. There are smaller holes that are still open for some air to get through, just not nearly as much.

You should hear air hissing through those holes as the engine is cranking.

You may need to move on to the carb. Make sure the main and pilot jets are clean, and make sure the idle and off idle fuel passages in the carb body are clean. They’re tiny, but they will make a difference in starting if they’re clogged.
The main fuel mixture screw can usually not be removed, but try working it back and forth through its full 1/3 of a turn range and blast through the port with carb cleaner compressed air and that will usually get the needle and the passages clean enough. I have had to grind the notch off of the adjustment screw so it could be totally removed to clean the passages. If you do that, make sure to turn the screw IN first and count how many turns it until it just seats. Do not apply pressure once the screw has seated or the needle and passage will be deformed and may not work properly after that.

Follow the service manual and make sure the throttle linkage is adjusted properly. If the throttle butterfly is opening too soon when you push the pedal it can cause hard starting.

The throttle linkage was my problem. Man is that thing ever so finiky... I have it adjusted to the point where I still need to hold the choke for every cold start regardless of temperature and I can not seem to get it any better.
SpartanDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 09:58 AM   #17
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpartanDS View Post
The throttle linkage was my problem. Man is that thing ever so finiky... I have it adjusted to the point where I still need to hold the choke for every cold start regardless of temperature and I can not seem to get it any better.
Sounds like you have a lean fuel condition if you're needing to push the choke even when the weather is warm.
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 12:52 PM   #18
SpartanDS
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springbok View Post
Sounds like you have a lean fuel condition if you're needing to push the choke even when the weather is warm.
How would I fix that? Loosen the jets?
SpartanDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 09:58 AM   #19
nwocart
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
Then the best thing you can do is make sure the air box is assembled properly, and the inlet tube to the carb doesn’t have any cracks or splits or holes in it. The push button choke is not designed to be held indefinitely the way a cable driven manual choke is. You can flood the engine and severe cause damage by keeping the choke engaged, thus the push button Choke which automatically releases when you let go of it. The method for choking these engines is not to hold the choke down, but more of a push-release action. It may need to be pushed 3-4 times to get the engine to run, but it should start and run normally within about 10-15 seconds.

If you’re having trouble getting the cart to run in cold weather, remove the carb and thoroughly clean it, and adjust the A/F mixture screw out 1/4 turn or so to help with cold starting. A new spark plug with the proper gap does wonders as well.
is it to be expected that these motors need choked when theyve been sitting and are cold? both of mine have needed choked after sitting for an evening, no matter what the weather. they will barely turn over as if the thing is dead, but as soon as you choke them they fire right up
nwocart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 10:12 AM   #20
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

It depends on the health of the engine and tune.

Most the CC motors I’ve rebuilt I might have to tap the choke after it’s been sitting all night and it’s cold out. But most the time if it’s over 60 they don’t need any choke at all.

Regardless, you should literally only have to hold the choke for maybe a half second or so. If you have to hold the choke for much longer than that, there’s definitely something that needs to be addressed.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car