lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-15-2009, 10:14 AM   #1
oldngray
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Load Testing

Trying to perform load tests on my Batteries.
Using a SPX Accuract Plus Digital model nbr 3155. It is a automotive Battery and charging System device.
Connecting the Pos and Neg clamps, 1st question-Battery test?, 2nd 6 volt?,
3rd is where I get in trouble..There are 3 options, CCA, CA and Amp/hr.
I have been selecting Amp/hr and then it asks for the nbr of amp/hrs. I have used 225 which is the 20 amp nbr for my batteries. It then applies two seperate loads both of which never go below 6.2 on any of the batteries but then it says BAD Battery. Now I know that one or more might be bad but not all of them.
The voltmeter shows all at 6.3 to 6.4 on all Batteries, the SG on every cell in all Batteries is at the top of the scale.
I kind of feel like I have six good batteries but I would like to figure out why my meter is saying Bad Battery.

Anyone have any experience with this type meter? I think I need to find a different type.

Dick
oldngray is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-16-2009, 08:16 AM   #2
scubabud
Ban Puppy Mills & Stores!

Club Car

Default Re: Load Testing

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldngray View Post
Trying to perform load tests on my Batteries.
Using a SPX Accuract Plus Digital model nbr 3155. It is a automotive Battery and charging System device.
Connecting the Pos and Neg clamps, 1st question-Battery test?, 2nd 6 volt?,
3rd is where I get in trouble..There are 3 options, CCA, CA and Amp/hr.
I have been selecting Amp/hr and then it asks for the nbr of amp/hrs. I have used 225 which is the 20 amp nbr for my batteries. It then applies two seperate loads both of which never go below 6.2 on any of the batteries but then it says BAD Battery. Now I know that one or more might be bad but not all of them.
The voltmeter shows all at 6.3 to 6.4 on all Batteries, the SG on every cell in all Batteries is at the top of the scale.
I kind of feel like I have six good batteries but I would like to figure out why my meter is saying Bad Battery.

Anyone have any experience with this type meter? I think I need to find a different type.

Dick
Have you had any reason to feel that one or more of your batteries is/are bad? How much run time can you get from your pack? Any charging issues?

I don't think that many here do an actual load test on each of their batteries but do in fact test SG as well as voltages, both per battery as well as the combined pack.
scubabud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 08:48 AM   #3
oxfordlawn
just hangin' around

Club Car

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...-readings.html
Have you looked at this battery charge table yet??
oxfordlawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 12:00 PM   #4
oldngray
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxfordlawn View Post
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...-readings.html
Have you looked at this battery charge table yet??
Thanks very much for your reply. After reading your "State of charge" graph I think (lots of lost gray matter) perhaps I miss understood what I should have been looking for/at.

Correct me if I am still wrong here. Battery shows 6.04V SG should be approx 1,172, (actual with my hydrometer 1.21 all cells). Should I assume that after charging if the SG rises to 1.3 (my hydrometer) then the voltage should be at minimum 6.37?
Last question, How long should it take to charge a battery from 50% using a conventional charger, auto deep cycle 12 amp?
Thanks
Dick
Old 05-16-2009, 12:09 PM   #5
oldngray
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubabud View Post
Have you had any reason to feel that one or more of your batteries is/are bad? How much run time can you get from your pack? Any charging issues?

I don't think that many here do an actual load test on each of their batteries but do in fact test SG as well as voltages, both per battery as well as the combined pack.
Yes, I know that one of the T605's has a bad cell.

Very fortunate to have a Golf Pro give me 6 used 105's, each show at minimum 6.04V. They have not been charged in several months. Hope to get all six charged and if successful will replace the US2200's.

I do believe that I have been misinterpreting the results of my testing. Still trying to get my brain around this.
Old 05-16-2009, 12:17 PM   #6
scubabud
Ban Puppy Mills & Stores!

Club Car

What anyone tries to accomplish is to see where their battery pack voltage is combined and/or each individual battery voltage is based on what type of battery.

You have 6 volt batteries so your goal should be:

100% charged = 6.37 volts or 2.123 volts per cell at 6.37 total
100% charged = 1.277 SG per cell

If you charged your pack or charged each battery independently, out of the 6 batteries you have which one has less than 2.10 volts in one of its cells? And by how much less? You said that ALL your batteries had 6.3 or greater so that would mean that they sound like they are OK at this time.
scubabud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 01:40 PM   #7
oldngray
Gone Wild

Club Car

Currently charging a T105. Started the charge at 7:00AM today, was reading 6.11V. It has been charging for 7:30 hours and still not finished. Is this taking too long?
Thanks
Dick
Old 05-16-2009, 05:14 PM   #8
buckmanmike
Gone Wild

What amp rate are you charging your battery?
buckmanmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 08:13 PM   #9
oldngray
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckmanmike View Post
What amp rate are you charging your battery?
12 Auto deep cycle. BTW I did finish that Batt and 1 1/2 hr later it was at 6.4V
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car