lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-25-2014, 05:59 AM   #1
slobdiddy
Gone Wild

Default Club Car Precedent i2 - easy way to tell what type of speed controller?

I think my cart has the excel system, but I'm new to this and want to be absolutely 100% sure before ordering upgrade parts!

Can anyone tell me an easy way to confirm this (preferably without taking the cart to bits) - I may need quite easy to follow instructions as I'm not yet familiar with the anatomy of my cart.

Cart serial # is PV1041-136753. Controller serial # CCR037389.

Attached pics might help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 1.jpg (93.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg photo 2.jpg (146.9 KB, 0 views)
slobdiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-25-2014, 07:02 AM   #2
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Club Car Precedent i2 - easy way to tell what type of speed controller?

. . . your serial number indicates a 2010 PV Precedent I2 Signature 4-Pass Excel Golf Cart . . . and it appears to have speed code 4 installed based on codes that appear on controller . . .

EDIT: are you sure you serial number ends in "3"? Controller tag says serial number ends in "2" . . . just noticed the difference . . .
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 09:20 AM   #3
slobdiddy
Gone Wild

Default Re: Club Car Precedent i2 - easy way to tell what type of speed controller?

Thanks Steve having this confirmed is very helpful. I hadn't noticed the different cart serial # on this label. The one on the cart ends in a 3 (see attached).

Can you help me understand what code 4 means? I have read about the code 4 and 5 mods and I assumed this was an aftermarket method of making the controller work harder...

Many thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.JPG (121.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-25-2014, 09:28 AM   #4
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

. . . speed code 4 means you should be able to attain about 19.5mph with the cart being all stock . . .
Old 01-25-2014, 09:45 AM   #5
slobdiddy
Gone Wild

OK thanks...sorry to ask another stupid question...does this mean it should now be doing 19.5mph or does this mean it's adjustable up to 19.5?

The local supplier told me that the Club Car agent should be able to reprogram the controller to get a little more out of it. Would this mean speed code 5 or am I misunderstanding?
Old 01-25-2014, 10:23 AM   #6
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by slobdiddy View Post
OK thanks...sorry to ask another stupid question...does this mean it should now be doing 19.5mph or does this mean it's adjustable up to 19.5?

The local supplier told me that the Club Car agent should be able to reprogram the controller to get a little more out of it. Would this mean speed code 5 or am I misunderstanding?
Technically code 4 is 19.6 mph with everything stock under perfect conditions. That is as fast as the cart can go under factory components.
Code 5 is an aftermarket programmer that makes the cart go faster than 19.6, but I'm not sure exactly how fast...
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 10:29 AM   #7
slobdiddy
Gone Wild

So this means the stock controller is not at all adjustable by Club Car...and only by an aftermarket programmer?

I may have misunderstood the supplier.
Old 01-25-2014, 10:36 AM   #8
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Quote:
So this means the stock controller is not at all adjustable by Club Car...and only by an aftermarket programmer?

No, the stock controller is 100% programmable by any CC dealer, but you can by an aftermarket programmer that will allow you to programm a higher speed than the CC programmer can.
By the way, the sticker with the 3 codes on it means you have code 4 installed
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 10:43 AM   #9
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

Quote:

Assumption #1 - based on the 3 codes on top of controller, it is already programmed to speed code 4 (usually done by a CC dealer).

Assumption #2 - if you are not able to obtain about 19.5mph, the controller may not have the code 4 parameters programmed into it, even though the 3 codes are labeled on the controller.

. . . if you have a CC dealer near you, you can take your cart to them so they can plug into your controller and see what speed code it is currently set at . . . if set to speed code 3, they should be able to input the 3 codes on the labels on top of the controller to reprogram your controller to speed code 4. They may or may not charge you for this service.

The stock controller IS adjustable (programmable) to speed codes 1 thru 4 and again, this is typically done by a CC dealer because they have the necessary equipment to accomplish this. Some people have managed to obtain the CC programmer, but they are expensive and not that many people purchase them IF one can find one on the open market . . .
Old 01-25-2014, 11:46 AM   #10
slobdiddy
Gone Wild

Thanks...now I get it!

I think my cart is probably set to 3 as I was told when I bought it that it would go about 14 or 15 mph and that after a few months (when we know everything is working ok) the dealer could come and adjust it if we want him to.

I came across a website advertising an inexpensive speed code 5 programmer, but the excel one (they are calling it code 5e) is still under development.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car