lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts
Lifted Golf Carts Off-Road Golf Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-13-2013, 07:34 PM   #11
TRP
Gone Wild

Default Re: Ted's 1989 Club Car DS - the evolution of a sporting clays cart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springbok View Post
Good deal! Glad to see those lights fit. I may get a set for mine now that I know they'll not only fit, but look good.
Hey Spring,

Don't get me wrong. They hang long on the bottom and front corners. The 'bevel' in the molded shape doesn't quite line up with the front cowl and the top edge is really close. Not perfect, but close.

A guy with a well placed heat gun could clear up a lot of the issues I've noted. But for what I'm doing? They fit well. :)

If I try the heat gun treatment, I'd do it off the cart. A little trial and error could payoff in dividends. I marked the black plastic light body with a pencil so I knew where to heat them. I just haven't brought myself to that step yet.

Let me know if you want some higher quality close ups. The ones above are from my cel-phone. I can break out the 60D and the big glass to provide some details.

Ted
TRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-14-2013, 05:45 AM   #12
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

I guess I looked at the pics too quickly. Thanks for speaking up, I appreciate the info.

I was wanting to get some headlights from 89GatorClub, who has an '86 cart and is replacing the entire body. His '86 body has the smaller headlights that fit our older cowls. He said he'd sell them to me a few weeks ago but I haven't heard anything back:

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/membe...under-way.html
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:55 AM   #13
Dennisneri
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

nice job if you dont mine me asking how much do you think you have in this rig to date?
Dennisneri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:57 AM   #14
Springlake
I Believe !!

E-Z-GO

Ted is this the site you saw for your scabbard?

http://www.scabbard.com/gallery.html
Springlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:00 AM   #15
TRP
Gone Wild

Hey Springlake,

That's a great site for a gun holder/scabbard. I'll give them a look.

Springbok,
No worries on the lights. I just didn't want to misrepresent the final result.

Have you ever done something / added something to your cart where you wish you could undo it? I did that last night with my cart. I added the ABS fender flares. I'm really not happy with the product or the way they've transformed the cart. Before adding them the car had a pretty clean look. Now - it kind of looks clumsy.

I only have the front flares on, the rears will take some effort to get them right. I'm just not feeling the result. I could remove the front flare, but then I'll have a bunch of holes in the front left fender. Bleh. Now what?

Now, about the product: They seem very pretty brittle. I cracked the ONE i put on while tightening it down. I can't see these being used in a really rough application. If these last one season, I'll be amazed.

I'm going to try and figure out which way to go with these.

This is kind of a kick in the stomach for my progress.

Dang it,
Ted
Old 05-14-2013, 11:47 AM   #16
TRP
Gone Wild

So here are the photos of the front flare installed:

I need to take into consideration that these flares (and even the headlights) are not made for this cart, so there is a certain amount of awkwardness to be expected. I'm just not digging the look. They almost make the tires look too small. The rear flares may beg for a set of spacers to push the rear tires out a bit more.

So, now I need to figure out if I'm going to take this one off, and put the fasteners in the holes and call it good enough, or if I'm committed to this 'look'. This may boil down to a case of function over form. Do I want dirt/water being sprayed up on me? or do I 'deal with' the funky flares to prevent the mud?

I really don't like this sort of set back on a project.

I'm open to hearing your opinions here.

Thanks for looking,
Ted
Old 05-14-2013, 12:24 PM   #17
iCart
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

nice, better than club car put on the front of their factory clays cart. I never understood folks not putting flares over their tires, cart, jeep, whatever.
iCart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:40 PM   #18
clubcar5
Gone Wild

Club Car

TRP, here is the link for the gun racks I just got last week. I am super happy with them and the quality is outstanding for the price. I have not mounted them yet but plan to put 2 sets across the rear top support bars horizontally. I am currently painting my top so once that's done, I will post pics. Have some sporting clay weekends coming up soon and excitied for those to see the new mods i did over the winter. Speaking of, having a hard time finding ammo by you?

Kolpin 21535 Rhino X-Large Grip - UTV Mount : Amazon.com : Automotive Kolpin 21535 Rhino X-Large Grip - UTV Mount : Amazon.com : Automotive

I also got the lights from Amazon also. They are 4" square 27 watt 1550 Lumen each and boy are they bright for $30/each. Great for trails at night but overkill for the campgrounds.
clubcar5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 01:11 PM   #19
TRP
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennisneri View Post
nice job if you dont mine me asking how much do you think you have in this rig to date?
Hey Dennis,

I don't mind you asking. My goal wasn't really to do a budget build, nor was it to spend money like my wife when she 'meets her mom for lunch'. I guess my point is, I'm not really keeping track. I can 'ball park it''.

I picked up the cart used. The previous owner had already put the lift kit, the tires, and the paint job on it. He had also already recovered the seats and applied the black diamond plate to the sides of the cart. The cart also came with seat belts, and a newly rebuilt clutch with a 'power spring'. (A what?.... yeah... a yellow spring?) He was asking $2400.00 for the cart, I paid $2000.00. In retrospect, I should/could have paid less. ;)

I purchased the rear seat, the clays basket, the fender flares, the lights, and diamond plate 'kick panel' from sponsors here on the site. Their prices are all pretty competitive for these items. DIYGolfCarts gave me the best deals over all, so they got my business. They also offered to have the diamond plate on the rear seat 'back' / 'deck' (not the foot rest) powder coated black (this usually is offered in raw aluminum) These items all totaled just at or around $800.00. I assumed it would be around a grand. Not too far off, really.

I have sent the clutch off to CartPartsPlus to have them make it 'go betta'. The shipping was $30.00 (2 day air. I could have shipped it for $10.00). The cost for the new belt, the machining, and torque spring, will come in at like $150.00 (give or take).

The used 80" canopy (it's actually only 77") - complete with frame, windshield supports and rear seat bracket/supports cost me $80.00. I spend $20.00 on some JB weld and another $20.00 on primer and paint for the supports. I paid $70.00 for two quarts of Herciliner and $45.00 more for the plastic/rubber paint (saddle / paliminio colored) to paint the top once the Herciliner (black) has been applied and has dried.

So - as it sits now, it's about $3250.00. I plan to add a bracket to the front of the clays basket. Right now I wedged in a piece of aluminum just to keep that from flopping around like a spring board. My guess is that a bracket will cost me $100.00 from a fabrication shop. I also want to eventually put a windshield on the cart. Another $100.00. I think the 'final' item would be a shot gun rack of sorts. These range from $150.00 (delivered) to as high as $300.00. I really take care of my guns and the furniture (the wood) on them, so the 150.00 shot gun racks are kind of out of the question. I'm going to need a nice quality cover for the cart while it's at the gun club. That's $125.00. I'm going to want to lock this old girl up somehow. Maybe $25.00 in chains / cables. These items add up to another $650.00 give or take.

My out the door, when I'm done and shooting at the club? Just at or around 4k.

HOWEVER - If my wife asks - it's just 2 grand. Okay? :)
Old 05-14-2013, 01:22 PM   #20
TRP
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by iCart View Post
nice, better than club car put on the front of their factory clays cart. I never understood folks not putting flares over their tires, cart, jeep, whatever.
Hello iCart - thanks. I agree, I just don't see why you wouldn't protect yourself from slinging mud/water. I'm just not quite 'sold' on these particular flares yet. The fact that I cracked one just by tightening it down makes me wonder how long they will survive at the club.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubcar5 View Post
TRP, here is the link for the gun racks I just got last week. I am super happy with them and the quality is outstanding for the price. I have not mounted them yet but plan to put 2 sets across the rear top support bars horizontally. I am currently painting my top so once that's done, I will post pics. Have some sporting clay weekends coming up soon and excitied for those to see the new mods i did over the winter. Speaking of, having a hard time finding ammo by you?

Kolpin 21535 Rhino X-Large Grip - UTV Mount : Amazon.com : Automotive
Those look really great for the price. My only concern with them is that at our club if you're not on the pad - the gun can't be closed unless it is pointed straight up, or straight down. If I had my guns in one of those clamps it would have to be pointing straight up. I'd have to figure out how to make that work. I'm really looking for something soft, that cradles the gun well enough that it won't fall out. I'm usually shooting Grade4 Browning 625/525/ Citori Grand Lightning or a Blaser F3 with really nice lumber on all the guns. I don't even wear my wedding ring when I shoot because I don't want to dent/ding/scratch the wood finish. I can't see myself putting my guns in one of black steel rubber covered floor mounts from Jakes or the others. (call me what you will...)

I really like the scabbards linked to earlier in the thread. Those are really nice. I'm trying to figure out how/what to order from that site. Maybe after I get everything else done I'll go back to the gun rack. For now, I will most likely hold off.

Keep the advice on the flares coming. I appreciate your input/opinions.

Ted

Tags
1989, club car ds, gas, skeet, sporting clays
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts