lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-12-2013, 09:06 AM   #1
JamieCM
Not Yet Wild

Default 87 EZGO Gas starts when key is turned on

Just bought an 87 EZGO 2 cycle. The engine starts automatically when key is turned on. I assume this isn't normal as most of what I've read says there is a switch on the accelerator pedal that should complete the starting circuit when pressed. So did someone bypass the switch or could the switch be bad? I have a schematic for the cart and see 2 switches, the micro-switch and limit switch. Is it one of those? Thanks for any help!
JamieCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-12-2013, 10:41 AM   #2
oachs83
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 87 EZGO Gas starts when key is turned on

Two things come to mind. Your micro switch is stuck on or you have some wires crossed in the solenoid. By wires I mean the smaller ones not the big battery ones. I once had my micro switch go bad the opposite way as you at an event and to get me through the weekend I just crossed some solenoid wires to the other side so it would turn on with the key and off with the key to get me through the weekend. As you are sitting on the cart the right side smaller wires on the solenoid if still factory should only be black wires. No other colors if so the colored wires be it yellow green or red hook to the left side. This is the tiny wires only the battery wires are all red. Chances are though your micro switch on the accelerator is stuck. If you remove it a simple continuity tester will tell you if it is broke. If interested I have a couple extra brand new good quality micro switches I would sell for $10 plus shipping if need be? Good luck
oachs83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:11 AM   #3
JamieCM
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the help. I'll test the switches and verify wiring this weekend.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:29 PM   #4
cwinkslinger
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I believe there is an adjustment on the microswitch for the accelerator pedal.
cwinkslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:34 PM   #5
redcloud
Gone Wild

There is an adjuster near the limit switch. you should have it set for about 1/2" peddle drop before it clicks. Maybe it is loose or adjusted to tight and switch is on all the time so when you hit the key it starts. Just a thought to check out.
redcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 03:24 PM   #6
JamieCM
Not Yet Wild

Finally got a chance to test micro switch. It tested a constant short when installed. I took it out and cleaned it up with alcohol, re-installed. Good to go! Engine now starts only when pedal is depressed. thanks for all the suggestions!
Old 08-25-2013, 04:17 PM   #7
1fast67
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The microswitch has to be grounded. If dirt or rust gets in there it will act as if it bad or shorted out. Glad you got it fixed.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
1fast67 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
87 ezgo, gas
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO