lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-14-2012, 11:55 AM   #1
rmauto1
Not Yet Wild

Default Any one ever rebuilt an fe350?

Hello all!
I just purchased a 1997 carryall II with a running fe350 that has a pretty nasty sounding bearing rattle. Have not removed the engine, or done any other diagnoses yet. Was just wondering if it is a fairly easy rebuild, or if I am better off finding a good used engine for it. I had also thought about upgrading to an fe400. I got this cart for next to nothing, so I wouldn't feel bad spending a little money on it but I don't want to get too much wrapped up in it. I'm thinking my budget cap would be about 500 on the engine. Do you guys have any thoughts on the matter? Thanks in advance!

Randy-
rmauto1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-14-2012, 04:44 PM   #2
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Default Re: Any one ever rebuilt an fe350?

The FE350's are a good engine!

You might want to diagnose it first before jumping into things,
I say that only because a worn drive clutch can make it sound like the engine is bad!

lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:02 PM   #3
rib33024

I'am with Don on this, could be the clutch, and $500 wont get you a fe 400
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:22 AM   #4
rmauto1
Not Yet Wild

Thanks fellas! Any pointers on what to look for in the drive clutch? I drove it around a bit last night, and it seems to have really good power. Just kind of has a deep rattle and burns oil pretty good. Almost made me think piston, but it had 130 psi compression. I will take a closer look at the drive clutch, and do a leak down test tonight. Would the drive clutch still make noise with the belt off?
Old 11-15-2012, 04:53 PM   #5
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmauto1 View Post
Thanks fellas! Any pointers on what to look for in the drive clutch? I drove it around a bit last night, and it seems to have really good power. Just kind of has a deep rattle and burns oil pretty good. Almost made me think piston, but it had 130 psi compression. I will take a closer look at the drive clutch, and do a leak down test tonight. Would the drive clutch still make noise with the belt off?
If it burns oil... rebuild it! (you didn't say that initially!) or at least check the head for carbon build up at the valves.
When Drive clutch buttons start to wear out, they tend to make a clanking noise similar to what a rod would do!

Old 11-15-2012, 05:24 PM   #6
rmauto1
Not Yet Wild

Honestly, I did not know about the oil at first. Last night was the longest I have ran it so far. It's looking like a rebuild may be in my future! Thanks for the help! What a great forum. I could spend hours here reading thru the volumes!
Old 11-15-2012, 05:40 PM   #7
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Hours???

More like Days!
Old 11-15-2012, 08:11 PM   #8
rmauto1
Not Yet Wild

Right? Haha so true.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car