lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-26-2012, 02:58 PM   #1
ClubStar69
Not Yet Wild

Default Precedent Light Kit Install w/ Voltage Reducer

I recently purchased a LGT-306E Precedent Light Kit and want to install a voltage reducer with 12 volt distribution (for accessories) to the circuit and would welcome the advice of anyone with this experience.

The Light kit instructions say to separate the voltage reducer disconnects from the harness and install a voltage reducer in the circuit.....

I assume they mean the quick disconnect pigtails with the following wire colors (none of these are labeled)?:

BLU/WHT
BLU
GRN/WHT
ORG

My voltage reducer has the following inputs/outputs:

RED +48V In
BLK -48V
YEL +12V Out
BLK -12V

In addition I would like to add a marine grade lighter socket to the dash, a 12 volt distribution block (type? location?) for future accessories, and possibly a relay for turning off the voltage reducer when the key is off (is this recommended?)

Can someone please provide guidance (or perhaps a schematic) on how to wire all this up?

Does anyone have the pinouts for the Light Kit Harness and/or the 12 pin connector from the Cart?

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thank you
ClubStar69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-26-2012, 07:35 PM   #2
Down South
Growing In Grace

Club Car

Default Re: Precedent Light Kit Install w/ Voltage Reducer

What year model Precedent? On my 2007, I just hooked up the power from the battery to the reducer for lights.
I ran all the other accessories from a fuse block wired to the converter.
Down South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 09:05 PM   #3
ClubStar69
Not Yet Wild

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback. My cart is a 2004 model IQ.

I was beginning to think that the harness that came with the kit is too complex for the options I'm installing (just head and tail lights) and was debating on whether or not I should just make my own simplified version...

The supplied harness (see attached photo) has a 12-pin molex to connect to the cart (in dash), a 6-pin molex connection for the headlights, and an optional 9-pin molex (for turn signal, brake lights etc) in addition to the spliced pigtails (for voltage reducer?) that I mentioned in my original post.

The problem is that none of the signals are labeled and I don't have a diagram to verify the wiring.

Can you please supply some additional details how you wired it (did you run discrete wires?) including placement of voltage reducer & fuse block (which type?)

Thanks again!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0235.jpg (60.7 KB, 2 views)
ClubStar69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 05:33 PM   #4
Al B Cuttn Wud
Not Yet Wild

ClubStar.....I just picked up a 2007 Precedent and would like to add a voltage reducer as you desired. Did you ever find out how to use the stock wiring harness to supply your +48 supply to your voltage reducer? A follow on question would be did you just hook up that blue wire to the output of the reducer for your +12 volt supply to your lights? Thanks, Al
Al B Cuttn Wud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 09:40 PM   #5
ds46000
Not Yet Wild

I realize this is an old thread, but i just posted another thread with this same exact question...so i figured i'd bump this one to see if anyone knows the answer?

Op did you ever determine which disconnects (or pigtails as you called them) from the wiring harnesses were the appropriate ones for the voltage reducer?

Hopefully you're still around. If not, any input from anyone is appreciated.

Thanks.
ds46000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 09:57 PM   #6
Night life
Gone Wild

Club Car

I just posted a thread as well, I believe asking the same thing. Trying to hook my voltage reducer into the light harness. But where?
Night life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 01:50 PM   #7
Night life
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ds46000 View Post
I realize this is an old thread, but i just posted another thread with this same exact question...so i figured i'd bump this one to see if anyone knows the answer?

Op did you ever determine which disconnects (or pigtails as you called them) from the wiring harnesses were the appropriate ones for the voltage reducer?

Hopefully you're still around. If not, any input from anyone is appreciated.

Thanks.
Here is what I just did and it worked. My light kit came with a 16/12 reducer. I removed the harness from the 16v reducer and connected the male and female 12pin connectors directly without the reducer harness in between them. I then fed 12v power from my new 48/12 reducer directly to the bright blue wire in the 12pin harness. That fed power to my entire light kit.
Night life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 07:53 PM   #8
Chip1283
Not Yet Wild

The blue, blue/white, green and orange wires are for the relay if you had brake lights. The voltage reducer connects to the red and black cables that are suppose to to go to the batteries.
Chip1283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car