lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-20-2017, 05:52 PM   #1
David Maner
Morel Man

Club Car

Default Vegas Carts 460

I received the kit today for my VC 460 upgrade on my '86 DS. All Quality parts and packaged well. Made the shipping all in good shape. No issues.

If I read my message from Fedex right the engine should be here tomorrow.

I plan to use dino oil for several oil changes. I'll change the oil after at most 15 minutes of running the first time then again after 30 or so minutes then again after an hour. Then I'll take my cart to the woods and drive around in the hills some for an hour or two then I'll change the oil once more. I've been using this same basic oil change schedule on all new small engine purchases for years. Oil is cheap when it comes right down to it. After I'm totally comfortable with this 460 being broken in, rings seated, I'll switch to either mobil1 10w30 or royal purple 10w30. Might even go with 5w30. I'll be changing the oil after at most 15 to 20 hours of running for the life of the engine. If I can't afford the oil then why am I even bothering with this high performance engine to begin with. I believe in good fresh oil. I have some high performance Neodymium magnets that I will keep on the drain plugs as a precaution to make sure that if there are any ferrous medal particles in the oil it will be captured and removed as I change oil.

I started using mobil1 when it first hit the market back years ago and use it in everything I own except my Stihl chainsaw, weedeater and blower which gets the Stihl synthetic oil.

I purchased some fiberglass tape to wrap the exhaust with to help keep the temps down in the engine compartment.

Any suggestions or do's and don'ts please feel free to share them with me.

Vegas Carts VC460 soon to be in my '86 DS mushroom cart from hell. Highly Manerized.

Photos of my cart in one of my earlier threads if anyone care to have a look see

Peace
David Maner is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-20-2017, 07:43 PM   #2
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

Default Re: Vegas Carts 460

Sounds like a plan. Post lots of pictures so we can watch your ride come to life. I thought about lab oil but the cost is prohibitive for what I would get out of it. I to believe oil is cheap and the more you change it the longer your engine lives. I used to change the oil in my Harley every 1500-1600 miles, it had 73 thousand on it when sold and still running strong. You'll have a long running engine with your plan. Good luck.
Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 09:25 PM   #3
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Your schedule is almost a clone of my oil changes. The only difference is I add 1/3 of a bottle of ZDDPlus with the oil changes. When I tore mine down at 170 hours for an upgrade everything looked like new except for the rocker guide plate and head gasket.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 09:35 AM   #4
David Maner
Morel Man

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by raydhd View Post
Your schedule is almost a clone of my oil changes. The only difference is I add 1/3 of a bottle of ZDDPlus with the oil changes. When I tore mine down at 170 hours for an upgrade everything looked like new except for the rocker guide plate and head gasket.
When I had my thinking cap on
I figured that if I added 1 inch out of the pint bottle of Lucus ZDDP plus it would put my zinc to about somewhere around 1200 ppm, there abouts :-)

I've got close to 80 hours on my 460 and have changed the oil at least 8 to 10 times. I'll continue to use a 20 hour change interval for the life of the engine. Which will equal about 4 oil changes a year, best I can figure

Anyways thats what I do. I'm using mobil1 EP 5W30 oil. I'm using 48 ounces of oil and my engine is setting 2 degrees off level with the front of the engine the highest (CC DS). I've been paying attention to the oil and it doesn't appear to be frothing up any. I do a lot of steep hills so I don't want to take a chance of starving my engine of oil on any of them. A couple of the hills are 1/4 mile or so long and so steep that I barely can keep the front wheels in contact with the earth. Rocky as all get outs too so I have to travel at a snails pace

I have an angle finder and plan to take it with me, well I'm taking it with me but haven't thought to check the angle of that one big hill yet. LOL 69 year old man brain farts is the reason why :-)that is.
Right now the deer hunters are in the woods so I pretty much stay away. Never liked the taste of lead and I've had a taste of it back years ago.
Old 11-19-2017, 12:08 PM   #5
BLACK DEATH
Gone Wild

Club Car

Have any pics of your cart and what all is done to it?
BLACK DEATH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 08:00 PM   #6
David Maner
Morel Man

Club Car

Here is a what I've done to the front lift. I purchased this lift before I had any clue as to what was what and what I got was way too weak to take the rigors of my type of use so I added the two rods back to the frame to stabilize the lower a-arms, if they can be called a-arms that is.

The last one is a pic of it a few months ago out in the woods
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cartfront1.jpg (158.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg cartfront2.jpg (154.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg cart911-2.jpg (230.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-21-2017, 09:28 PM   #7
BrutalSoldier
Addictive Personality

Club Car

Keep an eye on that alternator bracket if you turn high rpms. I ended up gusseting mine and it has held up well since.
What gears do you have and what kind speed? After a long talk with Aaron today we came up with the 6:1 gears are to tall for the Vc460 on my setup. There is no horsepower on the top end to push the tall gears. 8:1 gears in my future
BrutalSoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 09:30 PM   #8
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Maybe you should put the new engine in the cart with the 6:1's
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 10:26 PM   #9
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

6-1 ratio is mostly common for street rides. 8-1 is a good all round gearing for any purpose to increase speed
Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 05:46 AM   #10
HBR
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutalSoldier View Post
After a long talk with Aaron today we came up with the 6:1 gears are to tall for the Vc460 on my setup. There is no horsepower on the top end to push the tall gears. 8:1 gears in my future
Did I read correctly in another post that you are turning 5k rpm and going about 40mph?
HBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps