lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-20-2017, 04:12 PM   #1
Monx11
Not Yet Wild

Default '02 Club Car DS IQ braking noise

I just bought a 2002 Club Car DS IQ golf cart. Everything seems to be working fine but there is a pretty loud noise that sounds like very bad brakes when the speed controller kicks in while going down a hill at full speed. The second I slow down a bit the noise disappears and does not return until I go down another hill.

I have checked, cleaned, and adjusted the brakes and the noise still happens. I have also checked the transaxle oil, and all seems fine. The brakes don't make any noise at any other time.

Is this just what these carts sound like when the IQ system is active and slowing the cart down?

Any ideas or thought would be very much appreciated, thanks.
Monx11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-20-2017, 10:30 PM   #2
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Default Re: '02 Club Car DS IQ braking noise

I tried mine tonight ('07 DS IQ) and I do have a little noise when going fast down a steep hill on asphalt, but it is not over powering - meaning it makes a drag or whine noise, but it is not overly loud or piercing. If yours is extremely loud, there may be something else concurring.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 11:48 PM   #3
Monx11
Not Yet Wild

Yes, it seems louder than it should be. It's the dragging you described but loud and jarring when it kicks on. I'm curious if anyone knows or has a diagram of how the system kicks the brakes in. Maybe something isn't adjusted correctly for that part of the system? I've struggled to find any wire diagrams of the IQ versions of the cart. Lots of diagrams for the standard DS but that's missing the parts I'm having issues with.
Old 05-21-2017, 06:07 AM   #4
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

You may want to take it and have the regen turned down a little softer.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 08:32 AM   #5
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

If Your cart serial number starts with AQ02, here is your wiring diagram:
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/attac...cor_wiring.jpg
On an IQ cart when the cart is exceeding the speed limit set by the "speed code", the controller will engage Regenerative braking to slow the cart down.

This is a "motor brake" where the motor itself becomes the load the wheels are trying to turn.

The Controller "motoring" PWM frequency is usually above 16kHz, but the Regen function is much lower, usually around 1kHz, which means You could hear it.

The "scratchy" sounds are not good as they are usually caused by sparks in the commutator area of the motor.

Is this the stock motor (Model # of the Motor will confirm)?

You can also install a "speed magnet" that will allow the cart to go faster downhill without activating the Regen brake.

How big are your tires and How fast does the cart go downhill?
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 09:59 AM   #6
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

Could be something as simple as a motor bearing-when the regen kicks in, it loads the bearing and causes the noise
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 11:57 AM   #7
Monx11
Not Yet Wild

Sergio - I believe this is the stock motor, the model number is 5BC59JBS6365.
I have ordered the speed magnet, it should arrive tomorrow and hopefully this issue can be hidden for a while. My tires are 18 inches, and I just clocked the cart going downhill at 19 MPH. The second it starts to go over 19 is when the engine breaking kicks in and keeps me at 19 until I hit the brakes.

Golf Cart Guy - Would this be something that can be greased or oiled? Or would it mean tearing the motor apart? Sorry for my ignorance on this, I am very new to golf cart ownership, but I am rather handy and not scared to try things.
Old 05-22-2017, 12:20 PM   #8
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

It looks like you already have "speed code 4" programmed on your controller, so in your case the speed magnet will basically remove the Regen brake, but may not increase the speed except downhill.

I think the old G.E. motors had a "spline bumper" that absorbs some of vibration of the Motor/differential coupling, but the site vendors that sell those parts should know if they apply to your motor or symptoms.
https://www.golfcartking.com/ge-motor-bumper-club-car/
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car