lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-18-2016, 07:34 AM   #1
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Marathon burns up solenoid again and again

From my email:

I have yet another fun golf cart question. This time it involves my mother- in laws Cart. My is doing exceptionally well by the way. But anyways, she has a 1994 EZGO TXT 36V electric golf cart. After I had played with my golf cart for a while and started upgrading mine they asked me to look at theirs. I ended up installing my Heavy Duty SW182 reverse contactors on their golf cart to convert the old forward and reverse switch. Everything worked great on it. I also had the motor upgraded because the nut came loose on it one day and burnt the terminal off. Since it was convenient I sent the motor off to Plum Quick motors in Fort Mill, SC to upgrade to the 36V Bandit. It can be seen at this link (http://www.plumquick.com/motors-and-...es/the-bandit/). I then change out the battery cables with my 4 ga cables when I purchased the 2 ga cables for mine and installed them on theirs. This was good for them because their cables were ate up with corrosion. Everything was working flawlessly until one day.

The cart quit moving one day. My mother-in law is one that doesn't like to wait on anything. When she wants it she wants it, so she carried the cart to a local cart shop. He determined it was a bad solenoid so they replaced it. This is the standard 200 amp solenoid that comes on these models. Everything seemed to work fine till about two months ago.

This was probably 4-5 months after the other solenoid was replaced. The solenoid seemed to start clicking more often than it was supposed to and eventually it started acting strange. Randomly it would slow down while you were driving. I thought she was kidding because when I would drive it wouldn't do it. It finally slowed as I was driving it one day. Called the local golf cart guy and he said it was the solenoid again my first thought is that is way to close for them to go out.

After this I thought maybe the solenoid needs to be stronger so she went overboard and bought the 400a Super Duty Solenoid from another local golf cart mechanic. It seemed to do ok for about a week or two and it started doing it again. It would randomly just slow down while driving and stay at that speed. This would happen in forward and reverse. But it's not a constant that happens every time. But for her one time is too many but I'm at a loss for what could be wrong with it.

Do you have any thoughts of what it could be? She does not want to put a lot more money into it. She took it to the golf cart shop that she bought the solenoid from and they couldn't find anything wrong. The only thing they didn't know about was the Reverse contactor. They said they have never seen anything like that and said that is probably what is wrong but I don't think that would cause this problem. Then again, I'm not a golf cart mechanic either. I just wanted to get your opinion.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-18-2016, 07:46 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Marathon burns up solenoid again and again

I think you may have more than 1 problems going on here. I suspect one of 2 things is eating up solenoids.
My 1st guess is that the solenoid is engaged constantly. Thus exceeding the duty cycle and killing the activation coil. The solenoid should click (engage) each time you press the pedal and click again (disengage) each time you let the gas off. Can you verify this is how the cart is working?

Can we get a picture of the under seat layout for this cart? If it is a Marathon the 1/2 speed operation may be getting activated while driving. This can be caused by a bad micro switch on the F&R

If the cart is a TXT platform the solenoid welding can send the control into a safety slow mode when the solenoid contacts fail to disengage.

Everybody else is welcome to join in with thoughts on this.
Old 08-18-2016, 08:30 AM   #3
Scottie87
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

It does indeed click when it is engaged and click when it is disengaged. I will take a picture of it this afternoon when I get home from work.
Scottie87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 08:56 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Hmm. Are the solenoids getting hot when the cart is driven? 10-15º above ambient would be normal.
Old 08-18-2016, 09:34 AM   #5
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Is there a Pre-charge resistor in place? One of the purposes of that resistor is to reduce the current surge on the solenoid when it is actuated.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 10:04 AM   #6
Scottie87
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I will have to check on the temp when I get home.

As for the Pre-Charged Resistor, there is one hooked into the solenoid. However they do not have a diode connected and have not had one on their's since I've known them (roughly 5 years).
Old 08-18-2016, 10:53 AM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Industry standards suggest you get a diode on there asap.
Use 1-3 amp 1000v arresting diode. Be sure to connect the banded end towards the + small terminal not the - terminal
Old 08-18-2016, 08:46 PM   #8
Scottie87
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Here are pictures of under the seat. It looks cluttered. I haven't had a chance to clean up the wiring.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160818_174007290.jpg (218.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160818_174029503.jpg (203.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-18-2016, 10:12 PM   #9
yamahaguy97
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie87 View Post
Here are pictures of under the seat. It looks cluttered. I haven't had a chance to clean up the wiring.

Hmm looks very close to the TXT. Not familiar with that solenoid type though
yamahaguy97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 07:04 AM   #10
Scottie87
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Yes the main body is a TXT and from everything I've ever researched nothing was changed on the inside to ever make it anything else.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160818_173933199.jpg (164.6 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO