lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-17-2019, 12:59 PM   #1
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Lift and tires? Opinions?

I wanted to get your opinions. I love the ride of a stock DS... smooth and floats like a cadillac. But like the look (and function around my house) of a big lift kit, though the ride quality is nowhere as nice as stock. I have some big ruts in my road and big holes, but I don't plan to keep this cart long term like my Carryall so the "function" of the lift kit isn't really necessary.

The last couple DS's I've built I've used 6" lift kits and 23-25" tires. I was originally going to do the same on this one, but having second thoughts. I thought I'd get a little input and see what you guys think...

The body and seat are just set in place, I just finished the paint last night and the clear coat is still a little soft, don't want to mess it up. I did a quick 3 minute photoshop job just to get an idea...

I can do another 6" lift kit. 23-25" tires, wheels, etc. This is the picture I stole the wheels/ATV tires from a picture of my carryall and put them on it.

Or, I can restore the OEM suspension (replace OEM arms, spring, etc) (and maybe add one of the 1" lift block kits and some xrt850 shackles if they rub) to put on a set of nice wheels and 20x10x10.

I'm kind of leaning towards the 20" tires to maintain the stock ride, and because it's something different but I'm kind of up in the air now. I'm open to opinions.

Edit: Powering whatever size tires shouldn't be an issue. I've installed a FE350 into the cart, and the same engine in my carryall turns the 25" tires just fine :)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ds lift and 25 tires.jpg (552.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg ds no lift 20 tires.jpg (561.0 KB, 0 views)
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-17-2019, 01:11 PM   #2
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: Lift and tires? Opinions?

Cp I am kinda in the same situation with mine right now. Want a new look but really don’t want to lift it. Or at least not much. Tough to find a small lift for a Yamaha. I will be waiting to see what others say.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 02:12 PM   #3
superpro56
Gone Wild
Club Car

4 or 6 inch double A arm and modify the current front leaf to work with the lift. Using blocks on the rear so the spring rate is unaffected. Then you can run your taller tires and have the flexibility of additional ground clearance.
superpro56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 07:49 PM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Just ordered a set of STI wheels. Just gotta decide what size tire now :)
Old 07-17-2019, 08:50 PM   #5
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Could just do a 4” spindle lift. They get a little squirrelly if you go too fast, but they ride smoother than stock because they use your stock springs.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 09:06 PM   #6
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

I don't know if this helps but I think it is worth stating here.

I allowed a lady with a nearly new jacked up cart drive my 95 DS series cart (with only upgraded wheels and tires) a couple days ago. She was so impressed with the ride, feel, handling, comfort, and ease of steering she wants me to build her one.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 10:12 PM   #7
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooncarter View Post
I don't know if this helps but I think it is worth stating here.

I allowed a lady with a nearly new jacked up cart drive my 95 DS series cart (with only upgraded wheels and tires) a couple days ago. She was so impressed with the ride, feel, handling, comfort, and ease of steering she wants me to build her one.
Lol yes, that's why I'm torn. I dont think theres any cart I've driven that rides as nice as a tight stock DS. They're great! But around my parts, theres a lot of rednecks that "bigger is always better". But then again those are the ones that also wouldnt appreciate the details I'm going into here like the upgraded engine, the work I'll be doing on the frame to make it shiny and new, etc. If I'm going to build a cart, even if it's just for the fun of building it and I have no intention of keeping it, I'm going to build it as if I were keeping it. If I were flipping it just to make some money, I'd put as little into it as possible to make it run and drive and sell it fast. But theres no fun in that :)

I ordered the 10" STI HD6 wheels, there black with blue spokes and accents around the outside of the rim. Should match really nicely.

After thinking on it a bit more, I have a nice set of 20x10x10 turf tires, and a really nice full front end suspension from the last lift kit I installed. I'm going to go that route for now since all it costs me is a set of wheels I'll need anyway. If it looks as good as I think it will, I'll stick with it. If someone wants to buy it and wants it lifted more, can give them a ride in my carryall to show why I didnt do that on this one lol. If not then I'll order a lift kit and bigger tires.
Old 07-18-2019, 12:25 PM   #8
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Sounds like a plan.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car