lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-17-2013, 09:47 PM   #1
gatorsteeler
Not Yet Wild

Default Quick question about charging, '84 Club Car with Accu Power #13800

Hi all,
Got an '84 Club Car 36v from relatives from NC and brought down to FL with me. It had no batteries. Looks like the original setup was (3)12v judging by the cables that were in battery compartment. I converted the system to brand new Powertron (6) 6v batteries. i get 36 volts from pack and 6 from each battery, everything is good there.
I obviously do not want to ruin or damage anything so I've got some questions about this. I have an Accu Power #13800 dated '92 that came with the car. When I plug it in to the car it waits about 5 seconds or so then kicks in with the hum @ 16-17 amps, which seems normal. It has been on an hour so I checked out the battery compartment. There appears to be 3 wires coming from the receptacle, 2 red 1 white. The white one is attached to main neg terminal. One of the red wires gets really hot, hotter than anything else in there. No batteries feel warm, no battery cables, nothing.
Is this normal?
There shouldn't be any problems for the charger after converting to 6 6v from 3 12v right?
I just dont want to risk disaster.
The charger is old too, so I am wary.
The charger is warm and humming and continues to stay 16-17 amps.

1. Is there any problems for charger going from 3-12v to 6-6v?
2. Should I feel heat only near charger receptacle and the charger itself?
3. Does this charger turn off by itself when charged?

Thanks
gatorsteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-18-2013, 06:09 AM   #2
monepit
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Quick question about charging, '84 Club Car with Accu Power #13800

The quick answer is, your OK. That cart came with 6, 6 volt. They never made one with 3, 12's. chec to make sure all your connections are tight but my 36 volt always gets pretty hot when charging too. It can take as much as 16 hours to charge so you should be ok there too. Of coarse I would watch it but I think your OK.
monepit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:06 AM   #3
gatorsteeler
Not Yet Wild

Ok so i charged it overnight. When i checked on it this morning, charger was @ 0 amps but still humming. There was a heavy sulphur smell in garage. I didnt see any signs of over boil.
does this all sound normal?
Old 04-18-2013, 11:42 AM   #4
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorsteeler View Post
Ok so i charged it overnight. When i checked on it this morning, charger was @ 0 amps but still humming. There was a heavy sulphur smell in garage. I didnt see any signs of over boil.
does this all sound normal?
That all souonds normal except the humming part. The charger should have been on 0 and silent (turned off). The batteries release a gas when they charge.
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:12 PM   #5
gatorsteeler
Not Yet Wild

somebody told me a fully charged cart should be at 42-43 volts when measured with a voltmeter...
I measured the voltage DURING charge and got that ballpark 42-43 as he said. However, after removing the charger (after 8 hrs) before even driving it again it measured 37-38 volts. does that seem normal?
Old 04-18-2013, 10:25 PM   #6
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Yes, while charging it will be way up there, then within 12 hours it will settle down to 100% soc reading.
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:39 AM   #7
89GatorClub
Gone Wild

Club Car

89GatorClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 04:43 PM   #8
gatorsteeler
Not Yet Wild

Thanks guys,you rock!

Charger shut off by itself the 2nd night of charging so everything seems to be in order. Thank you all for all of your insight!
These cars and chargers sure seem to withstand the tests of time
Old 04-21-2013, 09:02 PM   #9
gatorsteeler
Not Yet Wild

I just ran the cart for about 20 minutes around 7pm EST tonight and put in on charge when I got home. The smell of sulphur still prominent when charging and I can hear the batteries "boiling", but there is NO visible overflow. The charger opened up @16 amps and after about an hour or so went to 0 amps but still is humming and still can hear batteries when up close. It's been 2 hours now of the charger still on @0 amps.
Took voltmeter and measured batt's and 7.6v per WHILE charging and the pack was at 46v WHILE charging.
I have no idea whats going on.
Most ppl I see say the smell is from overcharging. These are new batteries and Im freaking out about damaging them.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:26 PM   #10
KtownCC
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorsteeler View Post
I just ran the cart for about 20 minutes around 7pm EST tonight and put in on charge when I got home. The smell of sulphur still prominent when charging and I can hear the batteries "boiling", but there is NO visible overflow. The charger opened up @16 amps and after about an hour or so went to 0 amps but still is humming and still can hear batteries when up close. It's been 2 hours now of the charger still on @0 amps.
Took voltmeter and measured batt's and 7.6v per WHILE charging and the pack was at 46v WHILE charging.
I have no idea whats going on.
Most ppl I see say the smell is from overcharging. These are new batteries and Im freaking out about damaging them.
I am new to this as well but from everything I have read and what I have witnessed, you are fine with those readings. Mine did not have a boiling noise (that I heard anyway) but everything else was about the same.
KtownCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car