lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-13-2011, 12:29 PM   #1
foreman
Not Yet Wild

Default 02 36volt club car wont charge

I'v had this cart about 2 years. I bought it with the understanding that sometimes it runs good and sometimes it is very sluggish. This morning it is completely dead and won't charge. I've wondered if the charger is the problem, a battery, or what? Now, when I plug it in the amp meter doesn't move and the charger doesn't sound like it used to. It was always excessively loud, I thought.( I removed the case a while back to look for loose parts, but found none.)
I connected a 12v charger to one set of batteries to see if I needed to bring them up a little to get the 36v charger to work, but I'm not getting any amps on the 12v charger either.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-13-2011, 04:50 PM   #2
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 02 36volt club car wont charge

Try measuring the voltages on each battery. You don't need to unhook anything to do this. Follow this chart and see where your voltages are, and if Ok, check all your battery connections and the terminals in your charger plug and receptacle.

simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 05:25 PM   #3
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

you need approx 28 volts for charger to come on so start by getting a voltage meter and checking your batteries.................if they are that dead the cart won,t move thats a starting place.................also lift the seat and look at the fuse on the rear of the charge receptical make sure it didn,t blow for some reason........................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 06:29 PM   #4
foreman
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the start. I checked each battery. All but one read about 6v, the other 4v. Does this mean that battery is dead and needs to be replaced? Should I unhook it and try to charge it separately?
I don't understand why I can't charge pairs of batteries with my 12v charger.
The fuse under the seat looks fine as do all connections.
Old 11-13-2011, 06:34 PM   #5
foreman
Not Yet Wild

BTW, it's an '02 36v
Old 11-13-2011, 06:40 PM   #6
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

if you have a battery reading 4 volts its junk...............how are all the cables? good, clean and tight?.......................................
Old 11-13-2011, 07:01 PM   #7
foreman
Not Yet Wild

All the cables look great and the connections are tight. Any thoughts on why the charger was so loud up till now? Anything I can do short of buying a new battery to determine if I have another problem?
Old 11-13-2011, 07:06 PM   #8
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreman View Post
All the cables look great and the connections are tight. Any thoughts on why the charger was so loud up till now? Anything I can do short of buying a new battery to determine if I have another problem?
Either load test them yourself or take them somewhere to have them tested . . . this will give you a starting point . . .
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 08:28 AM   #9
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Quote:
i see a lot of 36 volt chargers that are really loud...........seems almost normal for them..........................................
Old 11-14-2011, 09:23 AM   #10
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Thanks for the start. I checked each battery. All but one read about 6v, the other 4v. Does this mean that battery is dead and needs to be replaced? Should I unhook it and try to charge it separately?
I don't understand why I can't charge pairs of batteries with my 12v charger.
The fuse under the seat looks fine as do all connections.
If the batteries are completely discharged ( as you showed in your voltage readings ) the amp meter on your charger may show " 0 ". Let it charge for awhile and see if the batteries will start taking a charge. The amp meter will rise and after charging for a few hours, start to fall. The one battery you have that read 4V is shot! See if you can get the rest to charge and load test them ( analog automotive load tester will work fine ). If they all show Ok, you can get one used battery to replace the bad one.
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car