lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts
Lifted Golf Carts Off-Road Golf Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-27-2010, 09:26 PM   #1
fritster
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Help with swing arm design

Building a FAST EZGO cart ..

I stripped the old marathon to the frame. Putting a Suzuki 600 cc GSXR engine. A-arm front suspension was no problem, got that fabbed up.

For the rear I am using a transaxle from an EZGO TXT so I can have a reverse gear.

The rear suspension will be a swing arm type that the motor is mounted to so that the engine and rear end move in sync and the chain drive gives no trouble.

NOW... I built a strong swingarm out of 2 inch square tubing and mounted it to the frame using 2 inch johnny joints and will also be adding two 2 inch control arm bushings in the middle of the arm between the J Joints for added pivot strength.

The swing arm will secure to the rear transaxle with u bolts. I have two new shocks from a VW Beetle and may have to go with four beacuse of the weight???

What I need help with is:

1. What is the BEST position to mount the shocks in... or do I need another type of shock system like some sort of coil over system that mounts to the axle?

2. Do I need to design some type of control arm support, or 4 link or triangular link for the rear swing arm in order to keep the rear axle in line and keep it from moving from side to side?

My conscern is with all the power from the MC engine and the weight of 2 riders.. when cornering ... the swing arm will give side to side and cause me major problems to include wearing out the pivot joints and bushings quickly.

new front end fabbed.JPG

jjoint.jpg

rear view.jpg

shock positions.jpg

Please look at pics to get an idea of where i am at. I want to do it right the first time.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
fritster is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-27-2010, 09:38 PM   #2
Rodger's Rides
Totally Bonkers!

Mixed Breed

Default Re: Help with swing arm design

You could build a "panhard" bar for the back. That is the easyest choise but it will give very slight side movement as the rearend travels. If you want to keep it centered no matter how the rearend travels...build a watts link. More difficult to design and build but it is the best choise. Do some research in the racing enviorment to find what one looks like and it should give you an idea as to how to build one for your build.

Good luck. Rodger
Rodger's Rides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 10:05 PM   #3
fritster
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks Rodger!

Its funny I do not know what to even search for ... quite the novice learning as I go... lol.

Its funny, just thinking about it, I was engineering something very simlilar in my head... as the panhard bar.

I think the panhard bar will work and it looks rather simple to fab up!

I did not build the mounts for the shocks yet.

Any ideas on the position of the rear shocks? Straight up over the axle or more to the front near the pivot area of the siwng arm? Remember the engine will be mounted on the swing arm.

E I evarly on, I thought about using pillow mounted bearings to provide the pivot attachment of the swing arm to the frame but did not know if that would work well because of all the jaring and rough movement so I went with a Johnny Joint on each end and will add a couple of short bushing control arms in the middle of the swing arm.

Thanks
Old 04-27-2010, 10:09 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Just go with what you got...... looks like you have a pretty good start on a finished product here is what I ended up with from the same boat more or less this works really well ..... no matter what the terrain. Notice I tipped my shocks inward the swing arm naturally takes the front to rear sway the shock / coils/ take the side to side and Up and down movement
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2376.jpg (140.5 KB, 169 views)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 06:22 AM   #5
fritster
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Scotty,

Where did u get those shocks... mine are no where that big and I need some heavy duty ones like that !!
Old 04-28-2010, 06:35 AM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Those are terra toyz shocks. Friend of mine had them ..... they sell them with their long travel kit. dunno if you can buy them separately?
Old 04-28-2010, 06:42 AM   #7
fritster
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

K, thx

gone back on ebay... send the lil VW ones back they just look to small. I think I need some rated at 350 lb, at least.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:38 AM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

When you lay the shock over you will loose load capacity or strength ...... If it's going to be FAST, then you better start thinking about how you are gonna stop it LOL Keep us posted on your build
Old 04-28-2010, 10:55 AM   #9
BLACK DEATH
Gone Wild

Club Car

On the bottom arms why not put em at an angle like they do on cars insted of straight back. It keeps it from going left & right. Like on an 80s monte carlo?
BLACK DEATH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 12:35 PM   #10
kellys~hotrods
Gone to refill cooler...

Yamaha

You could fab a tirangulated link to control side to side movement of the axle. This will also control axle wrap. I have attached a picture of a typical triangulated 4 link set up. Hope this helps!

Kelly
Attached Images
File Type: jpg triang.4link.jpg (188.8 KB, 144 views)
kellys~hotrods is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts