lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-29-2023, 02:33 PM   #1
TurboNova
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 12hp+ DC motor golf cart type?

Hey guys, this is a great forum. I used it quite a bit when I was doing my 6 seater gas big block cart. Now I am doing something a little different. I am building a fuel flow bench for my drag racing fuel injectors. I need something with at least 12hp and variable speed to run the pump. I have been thinking about a DC golf cart type motor. This upgrade seems to be common on carts. What is required for a golf cart upgrade like this? Any sources for the electric motor? Thanks for reading.
TurboNova is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-29-2023, 02:54 PM   #2
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: 12hp+ DC motor golf cart type?

12hp for a fuel pump? Wow.. Anyway you might be better off looking for a motor for an EV as they normally have a closed case and wouldn’t require a support for the end bearing.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 03:05 PM   #3
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

The problem with golf cart motors is that the front bearing is in the differential and the shaft has a spline on it. I think you can find a better motor. Do you really need 12 HP? That's about 190 amps at 48 Volts (actually more when you take losses into account)
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 03:28 PM   #4
TurboNova
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Yes 12hp is a minimum. Actually 14-16 might be what I have to have. The front part is no big deal. I have a complete machine shop here and welders. I was told to look at EV motors but got on to the gold cart stuff. Either way has to be DC yes the pump flows 35 gal per min. Thru a 1 3/4" feed line.
Old 01-29-2023, 06:19 PM   #5
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I would consider a gas engine for that project unless you want to deal with more than a golf cart motor / power system.
Old 01-29-2023, 06:25 PM   #6
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

What speed do you need to run the pump at while producing that kind of power?
A DC cart motor will produce enough torque to start out with, but the power tapers off quite quickly as motor speed increases. And most DC cart motors will run out of RPM at 6k. Some higher speed motors will run 6,500, but will not be in the power curve at all at that point.
The AC motors available for carts are capable of more power, and higher RPM, but by the time you buy the setup for one of those, and provide a power supply capable of supplying the power for it, you’re into more money than what a low end inverter AC motor that will run on 240v would cost.

At a previous job we used several fluid pumps that were built to run between 100-150gpm at full output on a 2.5” line. The pump was run by an inverter on 3phase power, I don’t remember what the HP rating was, but the entire unit was around $3500 at the time, and it was remote controlled, and entirely stainless steel since it was used in food production.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 06:48 PM   #7
TurboNova
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Electric or gas isn't an option for where this will be. Gas is a problem. Electric there isn't any more spots available. So I am back to DC. I can pulley the pump to any speed I want to that is easy. A friend used an EV motor on his, so I could go that way. But I was looking at cart motors. Pump will spin a max of 5000 rpm with pulley speed. It would be nice to have a variable speed motor to speed up and slow down the pump for testing. None of this will run more than say 2 min and mostly be run below this max rpm.
Old 01-29-2023, 09:57 PM   #8
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Look into the AC motor setups for carts. Navitas is the common aftermarket brand, but there are others as well.
They will run up to 72v which will give you some extra power. The AC motors produce more usable power through the RPM range than any comparable DC shunt motor. That said, I’m not entirely sure it would produce enough for your needs, but they would be the most power available at a reasonable cost.
At least in the case of the Navitas systems you’ll have an 8,000 rpm max for the motor so you can get an effective doubling of power output with a 2:1 pulley setup.

Batteries for power supply should be a deep cycle type, and you’ll need a charger capable of at least 10 amps to keep them charged.
You will need an interrupt for primary power, so a golf cart type solenoid, otherwise the speed controller will probably give error codes and refuse to operate.
Then some sort of throttle device that will provide a 0-5k throttle signal.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 10:17 PM   #9
TurboNova
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I only need 5000 rpm Max
Old 01-29-2023, 10:50 PM   #10
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

What are you planning to use for a power source???
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car