lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Icon

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-04-2023, 11:50 PM   #1
snowwjob1
Not Yet Wild

Default 2021 Icon Lithium Conversion

Well after almost 2 years of ownership the wife and I have committed to upgrading our 8 6 volt AMG batteries to lithium. Upon removal of the batteries I found out I have Bright Way Group 210 ah. I was wondering if anyone has heard of them or knows anything about them I would be interested to hear.

Now to the upgrade. I have had real concern over the fear of brake lock up so I wanted to make sure I had adequate capacity in the BMS system. I chose to go with 5 BIG Battery Eagle 30 ah for a total of 150 AH.

Each battery has a max continuous discharge of 80 amps for a total of max continuous discharge of 400 amps.

Each battery has a max peak discharge of 180 amps for 6 seconds for a total max peak discharge of 900 amps for 6 seconds.

My thoughts was the multiple BMS systems gave me the most redundancy. We have a very long steep hill by our house and I was concerned over a potential BMS shutdown under heavy loads and figured with a 400 amp continuous load that should take care of that concern.

I have also seen that regeneration can cause the BMS system to trip if you send power to the batteries after they are fully charged. These batteries have a max charge amp of 80 amps which gives 400 amps of max charge so that should cover that.

I will be removing the old charger and have not decided how to wire the safety switch to the charger or just wire them together and call it a day.

I also haven't decided if I should mount the charger in the cart or just leave it in the garage. I also can't decide how to deal with the holes were the old style plug is and the charging light.

Part of me wants to install a 110 outlet off of an inverter and make it a recepticle port. This would allow me to use the batteries in the cart in a power outage.

If anyone has any advise or thoughts would love to here it. I will be doing the install my self
snowwjob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-05-2023, 08:00 AM   #2
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Default Re: 2021 Icon Lithium Conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowwjob1 View Post
Well after almost 2 years of ownership the wife and I have committed to upgrading our 8 6 volt AMG batteries to lithium. Upon removal of the batteries I found out I have Bright Way Group 210 ah. I was wondering if anyone has heard of them or knows anything about them I would be interested to hear.

Now to the upgrade. I have had real concern over the fear of brake lock up so I wanted to make sure I had adequate capacity in the BMS system. I chose to go with 5 BIG Battery Eagle 30 ah for a total of 150 AH.

Each battery has a max continuous discharge of 80 amps for a total of max continuous discharge of 400 amps.

Each battery has a max peak discharge of 180 amps for 6 seconds for a total max peak discharge of 900 amps for 6 seconds.

My thoughts was the multiple BMS systems gave me the most redundancy. We have a very long steep hill by our house and I was concerned over a potential BMS shutdown under heavy loads and figured with a 400 amp continuous load that should take care of that concern.

I have also seen that regeneration can cause the BMS system to trip if you send power to the batteries after they are fully charged. These batteries have a max charge amp of 80 amps which gives 400 amps of max charge so that should cover that.

I will be removing the old charger and have not decided how to wire the safety switch to the charger or just wire them together and call it a day.

I also haven't decided if I should mount the charger in the cart or just leave it in the garage. I also can't decide how to deal with the holes were the old style plug is and the charging light.

Part of me wants to install a 110 outlet off of an inverter and make it a recepticle port. This would allow me to use the batteries in the cart in a power outage.

If anyone has any advise or thoughts would love to here it. I will be doing the install my self
Congrats on your upgrade. I'm sure you wont regret it! In every application where ive replace lead acid with lithium Ive been impressed.
You will likely be fine but keep in mind the possible issue to watch out for is some have had with multiple bms units is one or more trip but not all which either reduces capacity or voltage. Sounds like you have the better setup of the two which is 5-48v packs and as long as they all equally share in the load you should be ok but for some reason there are threads here where that wasnt the case for some reason.

Do these batteries have some sort of display or bluetooth app to monitor the status and be able to tell if they are all active and balanced? Because in this case a volt meter wont cut it as it will still read the same voltage whether one battery or all five are active . Typically you will want some sort of shunt based meter that actually monitors the power both going in and out of the battery. Many here recommend the renogy model.
augiedoggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 04:35 PM   #3
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
400A is a huge amount but BMS redundancy doesn’t work that way. If you’re drawing enough current to trip a BMS, the others will trip in quick succession as they will now be supplying an even greater current. But, as I said, 400A is huge and you shouldn’t have any problems.

Quote:
If a battery is fully charged, regen will trip the BMS on high cell voltage, not current. Having 400A of charge current will not help you here. Just ensure that the first thing you do after leaving your garage with a fully charged battery isn’t going down a long/steep hill. Once you’ve driven the cart for a few minutes you shouldn’t have any regen issues.

Quote:
I’ve done this with no issues, except mine is 230v for Australia.
Pat911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 12:18 AM   #4
snowwjob1
Not Yet Wild

The Battery's all of individual breakers and out put screens. These are sold as kit with bus bars and wiring all together.

https://bigbattery.com/products/48v-...id=ButtonsCamp

This is a link to the kit. I add an extra battery
snowwjob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 08:39 AM   #5
Eco Battery
Not Yet Wild

Eco Battery has a solution for ICONs that won’t lock up the brake and even comes with a new OEM speedo cluster to read battery data from BMS. But you can only get this from an ICON dealer.
Eco Battery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 10:17 AM   #6
oldrock
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowwjob1 View Post

I looked at those big battery eagle packs. I was thinking of only using two of them for my needs. Will be interested in hearing what you think of them.
oldrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 10:25 AM   #7
jeffahfah
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eco Battery View Post
Eco Battery has a solution for ICONs that won’t lock up the brake and even comes with a new OEM speedo cluster to read battery data from BMS. But you can only get this from an ICON dealer.
can you explain this solution? I see that the voltage cutoff is 43v, which based on the graph is around 10% SoC. So what happens then?

Or are you stating that with the amps output being so high that the BMS will never shut things off until it gets down to 43v but still lock up the brakes if it gets that low?
jeffahfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 04:33 PM   #8
Dieselnut
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffahfah View Post
can you explain this solution? I see that the voltage cutoff is 43v, which based on the graph is around 10% SoC. So what happens then?

Or are you stating that with the amps output being so high that the BMS will never shut things off until it gets down to 43v but still lock up the brakes if it gets that low?
It should be a reflash at the dealer to get the controller on board with the battery.

Last edited by Dieselnut; 01-06-2023 at 04:34 PM.. Reason: because
Dieselnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 06:46 AM   #9
jeffahfah
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselnut View Post
It should be a reflash at the dealer to get the controller on board with the battery.
was asking about a solution that doesnt cause EMB lockup. Firmware update is not going to fix that.
jeffahfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 04:13 PM   #10
mtollin
Gone Wild

Have a Club Car Onward Lithium in the Mtns. People way up were having trouble as they descended. The cart would in fact shut down due to overcharging since started at 100%. Club Car includes a "bleed off" to a device in the front that looks like a grill that takes the excess charge. It too can't handle too much overage, hence shutdown.

The fix was to change the charger profile to only charge to 90% so they topped off going down the hill.

I have the Advanced EV EV1 (2seater) and plan a conversion also, but batteries only 1 year old and Trojans, so plan are getting more use. I plan on either Allied or ECO unless something better comes along. It's a shame we can't reprogram the dash for battery reading, but I wish it could at least be turned off through programing, but I'm told no.
mtollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Icon