lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-13-2022, 09:32 AM   #1
tsharp21
Not Yet Wild

Default 2016 Precedent suburu Mufller cracks

I bought a 2016 efi used in 2020 and had to replace the muffler in june of 2021. About a month ago the heat shield fell of the muffler and now the new muffler has a crack in it. Everything feels like it i bolted on properly, what is causing mufflers to fail so soon?
tsharp21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-14-2022, 01:48 PM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: 2016 Precedent suburu Mufller cracks

Too much heat maybe. If you pull the spark plug and look at the tip is it all white?
If so it may be running too lean and needs some injector cleaner or possibly a new injector.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 09:48 AM   #3
tsharp21
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the info, the cart does not appear to be running lean, everything looks good on the spark plug. A neighbor who is a car mechanic believes it to be cracking due to excessive vibration. The cart has a 4 inch lift and the snubber is in place and looks to be using the original snubber bracket. I plan replacing the snubber. Should I also modify the snubber bracket to account for the lift? I did find that the bolts that mount the engine to the engine plate were about a half a turn loose but nothing major. Is there anything else I should look at?
Old 11-17-2022, 09:49 AM   #4
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Vibration can certainly cause that to break. Is the muffler itself mounted to the stand on back? There should be a band clamp or spring type clamp holding it to the stand.
Old 11-17-2022, 11:44 AM   #5
tsharp21
Not Yet Wild

Yes the muffler is bolted to the mounting plate off of the transaxle. My wife replaced the muffler last time and Im not sure if she followed the proper mounting and torque instructions. The muffler does mount metal to metal on the plate so Im thinking of adding a piece of rubber between the two this time.
Old 11-18-2022, 09:42 AM   #6
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

You can't put rubber there it will catch fire.
The way I normally attach these is to get all the bolts started, then tighten the bolts to the head flange first, then follow in succession any other bolts that mount the muffler. On most of these there are only two studs at the head, and one more bolt on a bracket on the opposite side, then the clamp on the transaxle mount. I can't remember on the Subaru carts if there is another mounting point elsewhere.

Either way, if you found loose bolts I would think that is the main cause for the second failure. Heat shields on these are known to rattle off because of the spot welds breaking. I usually end up wrapping those with a band clamp or hose clamp to keep them in place.

Also if the bolts that hold the engine to the cradle were loose, check if the bolts that hold the cradle to the transaxle are loose. Normally those are pretty tight, so if they came loose it may be because the engine was removed at some point for repair. Put a wrench or socket on every screw, nut, and bolt you can find and make sure everything is tight.
Old 11-25-2022, 10:55 AM   #7
tsharp21
Not Yet Wild

On the suburbs there are two bolts at the engine and then one bolt at the transaxle. I have checked all the bolts and there was one that was not to the correct torque. I will follow your plan to connect the muffler and go from there. Thanks for all the help.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car