lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-28-2021, 10:48 AM   #21
steven2020
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZ-GO TXT - Voltage Drop after 20 min driving

Now that it's starting to warm up again, I'm trying to get this cart going. I'm starting to exhaust all options. Regular terrain: farm roads (mostly level and rocky).

Thanks again for all of the information a few months back regarding 36v vs 42 vs 48 system (mostly it would increase torque but not range unless I use a 7 or 8 battery setup).

Though, given my current setup, I feel like something else is causing an issue rather than not enough batteries as it should at least last more than the 20 minutes that it did yesterday after a full charge and this is with the throttle half way down with a few stops.

Question: Would considering the extra electrical load demand from the motor from the added weight of a few riders, large tires, back seat, off-road max out the stock controller in which would be drawing more volts since the stock controller can't supply enough amps in turn causing the cart to die (run the charge down) faster? Essentially, would upgrading to a ALLTRAX SR-48600 remove that amperage bottle neck and pull on the batteries less to supply the motor in turn adding to the range significantly? I'm by no means an electrical expert so I'm just trying to understand if there is any possibility with all of these variables that the ~$600 upgrade to an ALLTRAX SR-48600 controller would help my range issue without upgrading the motor (I plan to do the motor shortly after if I upgrade the controller).

I've taken it to two different local cart shops over the past 2 years which didn't have a clue as to what is going on but using this form and upgrading the other components that I have has really helped a number of the issues with stock parts running hot (solenoid, F/R switch, cables, etc.) and thus shutting the cart down but now I can't tell any parts that are hot when it cuts off.

Current setup:

Make: EZ-GO
Model: TXT 2006 Electric
Cosmetic Upgrades:large off-road tires, back seat
Controller: Stock Curtis PMC 25864G09
Batteries: Trojan T-105 6 volt T2 (new in 2019) - 6 of them
Motor: Stock A02-4012 36v AU2500 FLT SPD (2006)
Solenoid: New HD 400/1000 Amp
Diode & Resistor: New HD 36v
Cables: New 2g cables (all 13 replaced)
F/R Switch: New HD Switch
Accelerator micro switch and sensor: Stock/original
steven2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-28-2021, 01:11 PM   #22
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Series drive motors typically draw from about 50A to about 75A when the cart is running at cruising speeds and it sounds like your cart is drawing a lot of amps than that if it is discharging healthy T-105 batteries in 20 Minutes.

With a 75A draw a T-105 at its peak of performance should last for about 115 minutes from fully charged (38.2V for a 36V pack) down to 1.75VPC (Volts per Cell or 31.6V for a 36V pack). For max battery cradle to grave lifespan, we typically don't discharge our batteries more than 50%, so that is about 58 minutes of pedal time.

The heavier the cart's total weight, the more amps drawn.
The taller the tires, the more amps drawn.
The lower the tire pressure, the more amps drawn. (Tire with max inflation pressures under 10PSI are amp hogs)
The more aggressive the tire's tread, the more amps drawn.

Also things like dragging brake shores and bad bearings cause more amps to be drawn.

The nice thing about the Alltrax controllers is they monitor Battery volts and amps and Motor volts and amps as well as some other parameters and with a laptop or similar device connected to it, data logs can be recorded for later analysis.

What it boils down to is your cart is getting lousy gas mileage, so you need to improve the MPG or get a bigger gas tank.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 03:44 PM   #23
steven2020
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks again, Johnnie. You're always on point. Good info to know. Essentially, it sounds like my next fix is to replace my tires/tubes with higher max PSI ones (the current ones have a max PSI of 5 which seems extremely low) but I try to keep them at around 15-20 but one was down to 5-8 which I just inflated). Maybe ones with less treads too.

Then if it doesn't improve a lot, 1-2 more batteries and a controller upgrade to better monitor/analyze what is going on.

But first, focus on higher PSI (maybe a little smaller) tires.

Have a great week.
Old 11-27-2021, 03:08 PM   #24
steven2020
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Hi, I’m back again. A few months back I dropped in an AMD 7124 high torque motor (the beast) and an Alltrax 600A SR-48600 speed controller. Strangely, I don’t hardly notice any difference in torque/speed but my batteries seem to die out even quicker than before (1,000 ft approximately on a charge). Replaced two batteries that tested weak under a stress test but it only helped for a short while now back again to the same issue.

With a 600A continuous controller, motor, solenoid setup, I’m looking to drop in a lithium pack. Would having 3-4 12v batteries with 3-4 separate BMS cause issues? I was looking at buying a few of these on Amazon: Ampere Time 12V 200Ah Plus Lithium LiFePO4 which have a bms of 400A max and 200A continuous.

Or I was looking at either a singular pack 105Ah (Golf Cart 48V 100Ah Lithium Battery 5KWH powerwall power station) which has a singular BMS of 100Ah continuous and 200Ah peak. Also looking at Bigbattery and roypow but they seem overpriced.

What would you recommend? I’m worried if I have a 600A power train if it would kill the 100-200Ah BMS of the lithium pack(s).

Thanks
Old 11-27-2021, 04:55 PM   #25
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

I know very little about Lithium battery pack or BMS systems, but the SR48600 can be programmed to limit the Battery Amps to whatever the max amps for your Lithium set up is.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 07:36 PM   #26
bigfish99
Not Yet Wild

johnnieB do you have a separate email that I can pick your brains a little about a golf car issue I am having

My email is lakemurraybass@yahoo.com

Rob

Last edited by bigfish99; 04-10-2022 at 08:31 PM.. Reason: to give more info
bigfish99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, ez-go txt, solenoid
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO