lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center
Design Center Shop tools, fabrication and Paint and Body

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-19-2007, 09:55 AM   #1
mulecart76
Gone Wild

Default Using a 12 volt for accessories

I am beginning a project club car and was wondering if anyone is using a 12 volt battery for their headlights, winch and other accessories. I know there is a voltage reducer but the 2 batteries will have a shorter life. If there is room I was thinking of adding a battery for just the accessories. My question is where have people been adding them for club cars and is it easy to do?
mulecart76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-19-2007, 02:19 PM   #2
tungpo1
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Using a 12 volt for accessories

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulecart76 View Post
I am beginning a project club car and was wondering if anyone is using a 12 volt battery for their headlights, winch and other accessories. I know there is a voltage reducer but the 2 batteries will have a shorter life. If there is room I was thinking of adding a battery for just the accessories. My question is where have people been adding them for club cars and is it easy to do?
I get a deep cycle 12v batt put it under the driver seat for the lights and radio works perfect and saves my running time. You can always hook a converter to 12v for lights during the hoildays. I hook a smoke machine during Halloween, plus black lights!!!
tungpo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 03:00 PM   #3
mulecart76
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by tungpo1 View Post
I get a deep cycle 12v batt put it under the driver seat for the lights and radio works perfect and saves my running time. You can always hook a converter to 12v for lights during the hoildays. I hook a smoke machine during Halloween, plus black lights!!!
Do you use some sort of relay to hook everything up?
Old 08-19-2007, 03:15 PM   #4
tungpo1
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Nope just hook them up I use circle ends and crimp them on the stuff I want to power and use a marine batt and screw the with the wing nuts on the batt. The only thing is a radio will loose memory like the clock and stations when you unhook it to charge the 12v batt
Old 08-19-2007, 04:42 PM   #5
roady89
nimda
Club Car

On my Black 88 Club car I used a 12ah Sealed Lead Acid battery placed on its side in the passenger side glove box. I do have a dash that covers it so its unseen. To charge it you can use a make up a ciggarette lighter plug and charge it. I have an amber lighted ciggarette lighter plug. Probly not enough power for a winch very long though, but for lights, radio, etc its fine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ATT00026.jpg (66.4 KB, 33 views)
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 06:35 PM   #6
tungpo1
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by roady89 View Post
On my Black 88 Club car I used a 12ah Sealed Lead Acid battery placed on its side in the passenger side glove box. I do have a dash that covers it so its unseen. To charge it you can use a make up a ciggarette lighter plug and charge it. I have an amber lighted ciggarette lighter plug. Probly not enough power for a winch very long though, but for lights, radio, etc its fine.
Thats the right way Roady!!!!
Old 08-19-2007, 07:23 PM   #7
roady89
nimda
Club Car

If you do decide to use an SLA battery be sure and find the vent hole and point the vent side UP! Even though they say "Sealed" lead acid there is a vent. That battery has been in my cart since I built it and NO acid what so ever has leaked at all. Theres not any corrosion on the terminals to speak of either. These are the same batteries that power computer UPS's and toy ride on cars and can be found easily at wal-mart. Walmart is kinda pricey for a decent sized battery though.

You could place one in each side of the dash and use one for the winch and another for radio, lights, etc...etc. I like my installs of batteries and other components to be as clean as possible that why I placed it in the glove box.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 07:46 AM   #8
mulecart76
Gone Wild

thanks guys, I like this option. The voltage reducer costs too much and killing 2 batteries doesn't seem smart. I will have to try it out, I was thinking a car battery but a small sealed 12v looks like the ticket, I wasn't sure how I would get a large battery to fit
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Design Center