lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-16-2017, 08:51 AM   #1
borkap
Not Yet Wild

Default EzGo TXT engine locked up looking for options/opinions

I was on my home from dinner and my 1996 + (not sure of the exact year) TXT locked up. starter was turning and motor wasn't. I grabbed the primary and tried to turn it by hand and it was in fact not going anywhere.

History:
I bought this cart in bad shape and rebuilt the top end and head, reason i did that was an exhaust leak due to a broken bolt in the head. I fixed all that new gaskets, rings and cleaned up the valves etc etc. Cart ran like a champ after that.
I changed out the lift and tires and some other stuff. (not really relevant)

That cart ran fine on our way to get dinner then on the way back I heard a chirping and the lost power. I pretty much alreay knew it was locked up then.

All this to say I need a motor or to rebuild it. To that end I am seeking guidance on what to do.

I am handy and can rebuild motors etc.
I'd like to keep it as inexpensive as possible.
I love the idea of the v-twin but they all seem so loud and they are expensive
I am leaning toward a 350 but not sure of cost or gotchas
I will probably change the clutches as well to get more bottom end.
I'd like to be able to maintain at least a 19 MPH top end with improved bottom end.

If you were in my shoes what would you do?
borkap is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-16-2017, 10:08 AM   #2
dcannow
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: EzGo TXT engine locked up looking for options/opinions

I suggest the place to start would be to take the engine apart to see exactly what is wrong . At that point you can determine your options for either another rebuild or if replacement is necessary. You don't say how long it has been since your top overhaul but this could be a cheaper fix than anticipated. Sounds like you are not looking for high speed so also suggest you stay "stock" for ease of bolt in and expense. If you rebuild yourself you may get your 19mph with a few mods. Plenty of advice on the forum from many who have solved these same problems. Good Luck.
dcannow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 10:35 AM   #3
borkap
Not Yet Wild

I'll pull it out this weekend and see. I have to finish up an ATV first then I can get to it.
Old 06-16-2017, 12:44 PM   #4
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Chances are you lost one of the connecting rods. If I remember I think the most common one to go is the clutch side as it is farther away from the oil pump. Now since you have already done the top end of the motor just changing out the rods may be worth it as long as it didn't score the crank.
kgsc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 07:54 AM   #5
country1982country
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

if you have a 350 cc or 400 cc engine I recommend replacing the engine I have tried to rebuild several of them that locked up on my txt rentals where I work we have 50 txt and 20 st all with pretty much the same engine and every one I have taken apart to try to rebuild the case itself is ruined there is a balance shaft behind the crank that times into the motor it usually melts to the case or the cam scars the case and gets wedged to the front case I have not found one that was locked up yet that I could free up and replace the internals I have tried to take 7 blown engines and put them together to make one I'm close to making one but not there yet Its always the caseing
country1982country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 11:50 AM   #6
borkap
Not Yet Wild

Mine is the 295 cc Robin i haven't had time to tear into it yet but hope to this weekend.
Old 06-22-2017, 12:21 PM   #7
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Here's a thought, but being that Your engine is Pre-MCI, I would totally bore it to a 350 and retain the 295 head as stock, then pick up a cheap aftermarket 350 carb - You'll end up with about 2-3hp more than the stock 350 (almost 5 more than the stock 9hp 295cc) ... Add in a 28deg driven clutch (or just swap out the helix and buttons on your stock 36deg and save $90) and You'll have GOBS of torque to spare. We did that a few years ago on what still is my personal "House" cart, we also swapped out to 8:1 gears in the rear end with a net result to this day of a smooth, consistent 36mph top end and still more than enough power to pull around our 16ft trailer loaded with 2 Baggers (I live at an old Ski Resort so believe Me, when I say no hill is a problem I *mean* it, if You have the traction, you get up it, period).

The pre-MCI 295cc is a great "Mod" candidate, if You know what You're doing, and as long as You don't go *too* crazy the stock exhaust will still flow well enough to work, so you get the bonus of a quiet cart You can drive around all night!
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 01:25 PM   #8
borkap
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewCityMusic View Post
Here's a thought, but being that Your engine is Pre-MCI, I would totally bore it to a 350 and retain the 295 head as stock, then pick up a cheap aftermarket 350 carb - You'll end up with about 2-3hp more than the stock 350 (almost 5 more than the stock 9hp 295cc) ... Add in a 28deg driven clutch (or just swap out the helix and buttons on your stock 36deg and save $90) and You'll have GOBS of torque to spare. We did that a few years ago on what still is my personal "House" cart, we also swapped out to 8:1 gears in the rear end with a net result to this day of a smooth, consistent 36mph top end and still more than enough power to pull around our 16ft trailer loaded with 2 Baggers (I live at an old Ski Resort so believe Me, when I say no hill is a problem I *mean* it, if You have the traction, you get up it, period).

The pre-MCI 295cc is a great "Mod" candidate, if You know what You're doing, and as long as You don't go *too* crazy the stock exhaust will still flow well enough to work, so you get the bonus of a quiet cart You can drive around all night!
I will keep this in mind now. All I have to do is punch out the block, and change pistons then the carb right?
Old 08-21-2017, 01:28 PM   #9
borkap
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
Chances are you lost one of the connecting rods. If I remember I think the most common one to go is the clutch side as it is farther away from the oil pump. Now since you have already done the top end of the motor just changing out the rods may be worth it as long as it didn't score the crank.
You win the gold star. I got it apart and the rod had seized on the crank. Thankfully the rods are aluminum and the crank is steel so i only had to buy the rod not the crank. It's up and running now although now I have developed a rattle under load. I need to sort that out then it should be back to 100%
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO